Honda Super CUB C90 - 1998 DeLuxe

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
George
Rides:: '15 NBC110XD; '02 C90MT; '00 C90T; '99 C90CMX; '98 C90CWV; '96 C90T; KTM 990 Adv

Re: Honda Super CUB C90 - 1998 DeLuxe

Post by George » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:41 pm

About this last weekend, had to go back home for a wedding and again wanted to ride the Cub! On the 25th of April 2015 they were like 24°C in the shade. Maybe 30°C starring at the sun. And what better way to meet your friends than using the Cub? So woke up, changed the oil since it was one year old and I had the magnetic sump plug from Wemoto from last November which was fitted at this oil change. It had a good wash and away I went! I can't describe the way I was laughing when I was riding! :lol: There is something about the Cub that makes you happy! Anyway, I went to Ceainăria Cinci tea house to meet my friends and had a nice ride. Here are some pictures of the Cub before I left Ceainăria Cinci :

Image Image Image

Went directly home and before getting ready for the wedding, I wanted to check the Cub's battery to see if it still has water in it since it wouldn't charge up while riding. Indicators and brake light were draining the battery at idle speed. So took the battery out and the level was ok, but the bracket was a bit rusty from H2SO4 spills from the battery. So decided to clean and zinc prime + paint the bracket :

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

The next day after the wedding (26.04.2015), I went around Bucharest to buy things and since it was such a lovely day, went to this place most of you will recognize to take a nice photo before I left to the UK :

And here is a 10 min video riding towards that place on my beloved C90 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxcpLaR ... e=youtu.be

:mrgreen:

knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Post by knapdog » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:41 am

Thank you for going to the trouble of putting together this post. Looks like you had an enjoyable time.

George
Rides:: '15 NBC110XD; '02 C90MT; '00 C90T; '99 C90CMX; '98 C90CWV; '96 C90T; KTM 990 Adv

Post by George » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:17 am

knapdog wrote:Thank you for going to the trouble of putting together this post. Looks like you had an enjoyable time.
My pleasure! Haven't had much time this weekend. I was in Romania between 03:00 AM on Saturday morning till 19:00 on Sunday evening... + a wedding in between. Tried to do as much as possible but time was against me. I hope next time I will stay at least 1 week so I can fiddle with my Trabant as well. :D

As soon as I write more history with my Romanian C90, I will post it here. :)

knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Post by knapdog » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:09 am

Perfect.

George

Post by George » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:10 pm

On the 19th of April 2008 I have bought this Cub! That marks the 8th year of ownership of this beauty and I bought it from new even though it was 10 years old. Received a Honda invoice and everything... So I am one lucky owner of a beautiful bike from new! :D So happy to have this bike and to know that it's in a garage in Bucharest and it's being preserved as it should. Here is a picture from 8 years ago vs 3 years ago and the mileage difference. (kilometres) :D

I can hardly wait to ride this Cub for a bit. :lol:

George

Post by George » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:39 am

And I did rode it! Being back in Romania for a bit, couldn't help myself from not riding it! Went out in what turned out to be the hottest day of Summer at a whooping 39°C in the shade! :shock: I was in a long sleeved shirt and trousers both dark blue and I was walking around waiting for my driving licence to be renewed. Went to see my former work place and some of my friends who still work there. It was a lovely ride! Got to the 16400 km mark on the odo and I went to put edge protectors on the side covers as I did with my UK Cubs. The edge protectors are from England...

Here are some pictures:

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Had a wedding and I have used the Cub as transport for the wedding. :lol: 8-) Spreading the word! Cubs are the best! :D Got it washed and here you can see how it looks... I think it's spotless!

Here is when I got it out from it's resting place. Me and my father gave it a good clean.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

And I have worked on the Trabant... changed the bumpers with some chromed ones which I did here in Bucharest with the help of a good friend (he did everything, I just paid):

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Changed the antenna/aerial with an original DDR one which I bought from eBay.de and it got delivered in Coventry, then I have sent it by post to Romania. It ended up being a very expensive aerial, but it's authentic now. :D :P

Will be a while till I will post more news from my Romanian Cub... I will come back to Coventry tomorrow.

Over and out!

PS: Me riding the Cub Wehrmacht style on the streets of Bucharest after the wedding with a childhood friend of mine as pillion. :lol:

George

Post by George » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:44 pm

So went back to my home country for one week that turned into two... :lol:

1 week was not enough to even consider buying a new battery, insure, MoT and do an oil change on my childhood Cub... but as soon as I extended my stay, I decided to do all that before the weekend... So got working:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Oh... did I mention the carb? :lol:

As the legshield was off, I noticed a problem with the front brake cable. After so many Cubs that I tore apart here in the UK, I learned a thing or two about harness and cable routing. So obviously this was wrongly done... by the factory? As I have never re-routed that brake cable. So got it in it's right position... will order a new one for it and will send it with the next parcel:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

And my greatest fear of all is the countershaft splines as most Honda bikes suffer from premature wear. So opened it up and made sure it was rust free and well lubricated:

Image Image Image

As soon as it was running again after sitting since 2015-2016, it went through an MoT that it passed flawlessly:

Image Image Image

Was a heavy rain unlike any other on that Friday afternoon so was a bit obsessed by the idea that my beloved Cub will rot under the wheel arch. I have never even looked under there since I got it back in 2008 at 26 km (when new). So since I had some UK Spec goodies that I sent a while back and wanted to add them to the bike, decided to clean and treat the back end of the frame and attach the UK and JDM spec parts...:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

The rear light bulb blew while I was working on the bike and taking the rear mudguard off and on again. So lucky that I spotted it.

Next day we decided to go on an adventure. Now I did not anticipate the things to follow but me and some friends decided to go to the seaside. Now that's quite far off from Bucharest but we decided to give it a twist. Not the Romanian seaside but to Bulgaria! So an adventure that implied crossing the Danube river with the ferry and crossing the border and camping on a remote beach. I have never took my Cub this far nor crossed the border, nor ferry, nor camping... so I was in!

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Amazing water temperature and all... loved it! And we decided to visit around the Bulgarian coast that took most of the Sunday afternoon. We were late in crossing the border back to Romania at Vama Veche and by the time we stopped in Mangalia to refill, we looked at the Ostrov ferry and it said that the last crossing of the day is at midnight. At 45 MPH, there was enough time to ride from where we were to the ferry with a minute to spare... So I had to keep up with the 45 MPH target in pitch black darkness with my standard shitty headlight. Good thing the GS showed me the way. The Transalps were slow in the dark and we lost them for about 20 min so imagine how I rode the Cub. We got on the ferry at 00:05 and the ticket guy was screaming at us as we did not stop till we were on the ferry. I went to pay for all of us and he said that the ferry runs for the whole night. I was running on fumes with the pegs scraped on both sides to make it for the midnight crossing and he tells me that there's another ferry in 20 min... :lol: We got back home in Bucharest at 04:00 in the morning but what a night! Here are some pictures after the trip:

Image Image

Changed back to a double seat setup and a picture with my father's English Innova (RO registered as an import).

RoadCar
Rides:: Honda

Post by RoadCar » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:05 pm

Looks like you had fun George. You wasn't tempted to put a screen on? How had the brake lever bent? How's your father getting on with the Innova?

George

Post by George » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:04 pm

RoadCar wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:05 pm
Looks like you had fun George. You wasn't tempted to put a screen on? How had the brake lever bent? How's your father getting on with the Innova?
RoadCar! You follow this thread too? :D Happy you wrote. I was tempted to put a screen on as that's what I do, but I did not find it necessary as the warm weather is not ideal for cutting the wind off. And given that I only ride this bike once every few years, I never took that decision. I have place to store it and always wanted to have one there for it just in case they ever get discontinued and I'm still alive. :lol: :lol: :lol: You got me there... I will get one for it next time. You hit a nerve there RoadCar. :lol:

I had a lot of fun and really enjoyed it. The only regret is wrestling with the waves as I did my back. Had an MRI scan done in Bucharest and it's not pretty. :D

The brake lever was bent since I got it. Maybe when it was transported by the dealer or who knows? I didn't bend it. But knew it was bent so had the new lever in the parcel sent from England with the Rickman box, rack etc. The lever is a specific C90CWV General Export model and yet it has the rubberised tip unlike the actual original.

Father loves the Innova. He did not take care of it so I had to work on it for a while. His excuse was "it's Japanese". So lubricated his splines on the countershaft and his' are worn pretty bad, new front pads, lubricated and adjusted the chain and lubricated the brake lever where it pushes the brake master cylinder. It was used so much without lubrication that the lever needs changing. And his' is bent too so needs a new one. I might send him a parcel with a new Oxford Aquatex small top box cover as I stole his to cover my Cub in style. He didn't even use it and I gave it to him when I gave him the Innova. He loves the bike... uses it everyday to commute to work and back. Here is a picture with us riding back home from his work place. The only time we rode together during my 2 week stay and it was the last afternoon in Bucharest:

I also have a video while we were riding home after this picture was taken.

horobags
Rides:: PCX 125, Vision 110

Post by horobags » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:56 am

fantastic pics George. 8-)