Hi, thinking of a C90

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
scrote
Rides:: Superblackbird, R6, KTM Supermoto

Hi, thinking of a C90

Post by scrote » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:36 pm

Hello, I just registered
I am thinking of getting a C90, can't really explain why, I've just always fancied one and now might get round to it.
I think it would be a nice retro toy to potter around on in nice weather, although the reality might not match the dream?
registered on here to see if there is a buyers guide or anything to steer me as to which year etc I should look for, where to look, what condition to buy etc.
I quite like old stuff, wouldn't mind one from the 70s if I can find one. and maybe join a club or go on some runs with other C90s...
am I sad or have I come to the right place?
cheers
Stu

aliengravy
Site Admin
Rides:: Shiny 1987 Honda C90c in red! Cbf600n

Re: Hi, thinking of a C90

Post by aliengravy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:42 pm

You have definitely come to the right place!!! :D You are very close to myself, Newt, Mav, and Simon, There is also another member in Snetterton i believe!

We don't have a buyers guide, I think there is such a large range throughout the models that it is down to personal preference.

Perhaps we should put together a pros and cons!! You have given me an idea!! :D

We do have ride outs, our next big one is on the 3rd of april in Matlock. Will be at least 20 of us i hope (look in club events) Then we meet in Rhayader in July, and we are hoping for 50+ this year.

Lots of us go for weekend bimbles as well :D :D

Any questions, ask away!

Pjam
SPAMMER!
Rides:: C90, C70c, CB500, ANF125, A100 Bitsa

Post by Pjam » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:01 am

Hi Scrote,
You might have noticed if you've read a bit here you can quickly form a love for these charming little bikes :D
There are a few pro's and con's but on the whole the cub is fun and rewarding. Have a look at the recent Poll ' What's Important'. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1031

If it's speed your after it's maybe not the bike for you, though some folks have fun making mods.

All bikes need some maintanance and one pro is the cubs user friendly in that respect.
6 Volt bikes needs a bit more work but thats part the fun and their a bit slower, as I said it's not about speed, their more retro though and many of us love um!

If your looking at older bikes I guess the first thing to check is above the back wheel/under the seat, sometimes they rot there! but even that can be fixed.

scrote

Post by scrote » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:29 am

Thanks for the replies. really getting carried away thinking about it now. not looking for speed, I have proper bikes, but sometimes I ride with my uncle - he takes his enfield at 45/50mph I should nearly keep up. I think of a C90 as an alternative for a Mods scooter for people who like to be different. If there is any kind of meet up around Norfolk I would like to turn up for a nose at the bikes and speak to the owners. might even pop to Matlock in april then..
anyone around this area wanna let me have a quick test ride on one in exchange for them riding my supermoto? I rode one round the fields when I was 13 but that was many years ago
So I've started looking for one. can't be bothered with much restoration I'd rather pay more for one done, but I'd like one that has something special about it be that old age or low mileage or a different engine or something. So I will keep an eye on the for sale section here and ebay etc
If I find one I might ask on here for opinion before buying
Cheers

robertall
Rides:: '92 Kawasaki z550, '81 250 superdream, '74 honda c90

Post by robertall » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:45 am

Somebody on the forum is selling a c90 for £600 that is 1978.

Rob

Pjam
SPAMMER!

Post by Pjam » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:22 am

Glad your getting the bug :D Sometimes it's hard to resist ebay, but you do tend to pay over the odds.

I think Robert is right there was a bike for sale! My 1980 bike 9,000 miles will be up for sale soon!

glen wrighty
Rides:: honda c90 cub economy

Post by glen wrighty » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:34 am

pjam :cry: :cry: ,how come your selling ur beloved bike.is it something ive said to make you fall out of love with our c bike.

scrote

Post by scrote » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:51 am

I can't see it for sale anywhere??
I think my ideal bike would be the round headlight model but with the long seat converted to 12V with electric start and biggest possible engine. may have to build it myself? is there a 125 engine that goes in easily? Hope I don't sound like a dreamer with too many stupid questions... if i decide to do it will get done :geek:

Pjam
SPAMMER!

Post by Pjam » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:20 pm

glen wrighty wrote:pjam :cry: :cry: ,how come your selling ur beloved bike.is it something ive said to make you fall out of love with our c bike.
Don't worry Glen I've got too many bikes, including 2x 6 Volt bikes!

Pjam
SPAMMER!

Post by Pjam » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:27 pm

scrote wrote:I can't see it for sale anywhere??
I think my ideal bike would be the round headlight model but with the long seat converted to 12V with electric start and biggest possible engine. may have to build it myself? is there a 125 engine that goes in easily? Hope I don't sound like a dreamer with too many stupid questions... if i decide to do it will get done :geek:
I'm waiting for someone more capable to answer this? But for now Scrote there was one 12 Volt round headlamp bike about 1983? i think? but their rare! then you could put in a chinese 125 engine!
but check out the standard 6 Volt bike first, their really nice standard! I think anyway, and as you said you've got bigger bikes if you need to get somewhere quick!