Hello

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
543nonuser
Rides:: None currently

Hello

Post by 543nonuser » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:23 pm

Hello - looking forward to learning about the C90/similar bikes. I do not own a motorbike yet, and I still need to take the required motorcycle safety course.

Skeeter
Rides:: 1991 C90-G, pedelec

Re: Hello

Post by Skeeter » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:49 pm

Well we all started somewhere. Get the test done and then the world is your oyster.

One thing about running old stuff is that you need to have a very hands-on approach to maintenance and repairs, to say nothing of the funds needed for tools and spare parts. It's alright for oldies with disposable income...consider carefully. All the time spent fixing stuff is less time spent riding.

Cubs are great, but when I take the rose-tinted spectacles off I'm forced to admit things have (in some respects) moved on a bit since their heyday. There's a lot to be said for using something current but avoid Chinese-made bikes if possible. They are cheap, aren't they?

Take a long look at all aspects of the biking world. For instance, if you live in an area with lots of off-road opportunities then would a trail bike be a good choice? But if you find a good Cub, go for it. Cheap to run, cheap to insure. There's a lot of help and info to be found here.

"Don't let anyone tell you Harleys are crap. Find out for your self."

543nonuser

Post by 543nonuser » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:12 pm

I am definitely leaning towards newer Honda models, especially the 'Trail 125', as it is called here. There are a bunch of dirt roads around where I live - a nearby park is accessible only by dirt road. The main draw of old models for me is learning how to work on a carb, but I figure I would be fighting the consequences of their age, as you mention.

Most of the used c90 type bikes I see are ct90s, and are half the price of a new 125... but I can only imagine what they may need, and they all are '80 and older.

Thank you for the info

damien.wrl
Rides:: 1989 C90mg ..1976 Kz1000

Post by damien.wrl » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:20 am

Older but way cooler … you might find people come to talk to you with an older bike

bikerbaker
Rides:: 1990 C90, 2016 Kayak 110, Riders Cub, 2xSV650, BMW F800GT, Buell XB12R CT90/110

Post by bikerbaker » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:31 pm

If you did opt for a CT you are at least in the land with good spares availability and support networks to assist. Well thought of here now, they were never officially imported into to the UK so any examples here will have come from the USA or Australia, where the CT110 carried on until about 2008 in 12v form.

The C70 Passport was your main Cub I think. Probably not that much, if any, slower than a C90. I have no hard evidence of that though until a local forum member gets around to meeting me for a drag race, he has a C70 and a Passport. It'll be interesting to see how they do vs a C90. :D

RoadCar
Rides:: Honda

Post by RoadCar » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:22 pm

Hi :)

What is the Motorcycle training you have to do? We have the CBT so you can ride up to a 125cc on L plates.

The C100 and C70 passport seem to be the Cubs that appear on here when a member joins up from USA.

543nonuser

Post by 543nonuser » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:19 pm

damien.wrl wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:20 am
Older but way cooler … you might find people come to talk to you with an older bike
If what I read is any indication, the new ones, looking similar to their predecessor, do have a similar effect :)
bikerbaker wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:31 pm
If you did opt for a CT you are at least in the land with good spares availability and support networks to assist. Well thought of here now, they were never officially imported into to the UK so any examples here will have come from the USA or Australia, where the CT110 carried on until about 2008 in 12v form.

The C70 Passport was your main Cub I think. Probably not that much, if any, slower than a C90. I have no hard evidence of that though until a local forum member gets around to meeting me for a drag race, he has a C70 and a Passport. It'll be interesting to see how they do vs a C90. :D
I looked on Craigslist, and there was 1 C90 within 300 Km, and a half dozen CT90s, and a few C70s. There actually is a '68 CT90 about 5 minutes away.
RoadCar wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:22 pm
Hi :)

What is the Motorcycle training you have to do? We have the CBT so you can ride up to a 125cc on L plates.

The C100 and C70 passport seem to be the Cubs that appear on here when a member joins up from USA.
In my state, a >30 MPH (>48 Kph) top speed causes the C90 to not be defined as a moped, so I need the motorcycle endorsement for my license.
To get it, we can take either the motorcycle safety course, or a 'rider skills test'.