Project

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
MarveHomeAlone
Rides:: In the market for a Project....

Project

Post by MarveHomeAlone » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:26 pm

Hello All,

So I’ve joined in response to being set the challenge by the other half to provide her with a reliable two wheeled run around for commuting and general pootling round the lanes of Derbyshire. As well as giving me the opportunity for a project to tinker with :D . So quickly arrived at a Honda Cub being the ideal candidate to achieve both goals, as well as being aesthetically pleasing.

So currently in the process trying to find a CX project bike to start the ball rolling. Then do a full refurb, as well as upgrading the engine. The options which I see are:

- stick with the (probably) 90cc engine and fettle that
- swap in a Lifan engine - A bit wary of this option but does seem to be quite popular and maybe more reliable than I thought.
-swap in a Innova 125 engine and necessary components. I know it’s been done, but with a lot of frame cutting and welding. Plus I can imagine the brakes might not be up to the job (?). So I think this is not an ideal option.
-get my hands on a 100cc ish Honda engine from abroad and fit that. Highly dependent on the model/year of the bike I end up with on how easy this is I assume.

Or then the wildcard is, get an Innova and restyle it to look more like a Cub.....

Anyway happy to canvas opinions and already happily trawling through the forums.

Cheers,

Martin

knapdog
Rides:: '95 C90 e/s, '18 Enfield Classic 500, '17 Honda cbf1000

Re: Project

Post by knapdog » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:23 am

^^^^^^ For me it's a no-brainer. If the 90 engine is in good nick then stick with it. If not then have no fears at all about putting a Lifan 110 engine in.

MarveHomeAlone
Rides:: In the market for a Project....

Post by MarveHomeAlone » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:11 am

Thanks for the advice Knapdog!

cozi70
Rides:: Z50,cf70,msx and an auld german 1200gs

Post by cozi70 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:34 am

I like the idea of the cub styled Innova.