Preston Docks and Rivington Barn

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
Bogger
Maintenance Stasi
Rides:: 3 x C90,BMW R1200st, BMW R80RT, Honda Mode , Super Cub C125A, Yamaha Majesty 250

Preston Docks and Rivington Barn

Post by Bogger » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:32 pm

We had a nice ‘cool’ run out today on the 90’s. The Lancashire and Yorkshire bad boys made an effort in the snow and ice to get out. We try to get out near the turn of the year if we can, usually New Years eve, but due to a few of us having other commitments it was in the new year this time. The meeting point was Preston Docks. I was the first to turn up just before 9.15 am. As you can see from the images the sun was only just climbing into the sky and the roads were still frozen, as indeed was Preston Dock itself.

Billy No Mates Cub :( :( :lol:

VK made it all the was from Leeds, by the time he got to Preston his boots were smoking :o , as he’d ridden most of the way with his feet down :shock: , it was so slippery, at least his feet were warm :lol: . In total five of us turned up myself, Swim, Russ (Cubstig), Geoff and Vic (VK). We waited a while as we thought we may also see Boo and JJ. They obviously decided to be sensible and stayed in bed. After Swim had filled his face with a McDonalds we ventured in the general direction of Rivington Barn. Geoff led and we all followed him very gingerly as it had not warmed up at all. We made a quick stop outside Hogton Hall where Geoff Spoke to us in a foreign language. We’d all got so many layers on no one could hear him properly. The only bit I got of the conversation was Hall, Sirloin and Steak. I had no idea what he was on about. We all nodded in full agreement feigning understanding and off we went again. Luckily Rivington is not too far from Preston as We were all feeling the cold. Rivi is normally jam packed with bikes. Err not this time of year. We were the only ones there.
A few did turn up later, pig sick that the Cubs had beaten them to it. Oh back at Preston Docks I managed to blag a ride of VK’s and Geoffs Injected Innovas. Surprisingly one of them felt quite a bit quicker than the other?? Geoff said his injected Innova was quicker than his previous carbed version. Usually it’s the other way round. Well back to Rivington, we’d had a bite to eat and a drink then we contemplated where to go next. I know lets be sane and go home ;) as it was still freezing cold. I’m glad I went even if it was only half a day out. The only problem is my bum cheeks are aching from clenching everytime we hit the ice and snow :oops: :oops: . Dragon Rally, here we come.

Bogger Home and warm :D

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Re: Preston Docks and Rivington Barn

Post by Newtsalad » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:15 pm

Nice one Bogger, Sorry I missed it!

Bogger
Maintenance Stasi
Rides:: 3 x C90,BMW R1200st, BMW R80RT, Honda Mode , Super Cub C125A, Yamaha Majesty 250

Post by Bogger » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:19 pm

Aye, it's a pity a few more didn't make it. I know why you didn't come Newt...It wasn't a long enough journey for you :shock: .

Bogger

aliengravy
Site Admin
Rides:: Shiny 1987 Honda C90c in red! Cbf600n

Post by aliengravy » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:03 am

Looks like you had a great run out :D

And brilliant weather!!

Such a good combination :) :) :) :) :)

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:55 am

Bogger wrote:Aye, it's a pity a few more didn't make it. I know why you didn't come Newt...It wasn't a long enough journey for you :shock: .

Bogger
It's a long story, really.
Once Bobn said it wasn't a great idea, I didn't want to pressurise anyone to leading a potentially disastrous expedition.
I hadn't tried the knobby's in snow, and Mav was insisting on going on road tyres. :shock:
I was in Reading for the New Year, and to go (I only ever intended going up in the van) I would have had to leave early on New Years Day to get back load up the bikes etc, and it was far easier to get up late, and go for the nice lunch that we did!
We really only properly kitted up with knobbly's, (Mav included) and got a proper taster, on our own little off road sortie, on the 2nd.
By the end of the day, we realised we could have done it, should have done it, too late!!!!
Next time. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.

Post by Newtsalad » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:59 am

Oh! Just realised! I'm talking about the moors ride, not your excursion!!!!
Actually Bogger, I only read about your rideout this morning! Had I read about it before setting off for Reading, I might have contemplated it!
Not been on the boards too much, with Christmas and all!