Camping advice

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
Leiba
Rides:: Red C90.

Re: Camping advice

Post by Leiba » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:54 pm

This is my Ruby loaded up ready for Rhayader this year. Tent, sleeping bag and mat tied together and strapped (with easy release for refueling) to the back of the seat/topbox and the rest in the topbox itself.

Leiba

Post by Leiba » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:57 pm

Jeez Salty. And I thought it was supposed to be women who take all but the kitchen sink.

GreaseGorilla
Rides:: many different, CT90's plus C90s

Post by GreaseGorilla » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:58 pm

Only camping advice I can give is in summer, hammock n tarp is a lot easier, in winter.....no matter how wet your tent gets, dont share with me, I am a master farter! :lol:

Don Steve
Rides:: Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport, BMW F800 S, BMW F650 CS, Gas Gas 400, Honda C90 Cub.

Post by Don Steve » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:30 am

Are ALL these people out for several weeks at a time? Surely there must be a more elegant solution.

Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Post by Capitano » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:28 pm

Holy Thread Resurrection, Batman! :lol:

Horses for courses I say. What matters is what works and there's plenty of miles under Cub tyres and plenty of nights under canvas by the folks on here.

I prefer the light approach myself. :)

Leiba

Post by Leiba » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:42 pm

Don Steve wrote:Are ALL these people out for several weeks at a time? Surely there must be a more elegant solution.
We have fickle weather over here so it's best to be prepared for all sorts. ;)

knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Post by knapdog » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:15 pm

Capitano wrote:Holy Thread Resurrection, Batman! :lol:

Horses for courses I say. What matters is what works and there's plenty of miles under Cub tyres and plenty of nights under canvas by the folks on here.

I prefer the light approach myself. :)

That is the light approach but for me, I never put anything on the front, nor side panniers. Shove everything in a bag behind the seat, and top box. Trouble is, of course, is the old chestnut of removing your bag everytime you need to fill up (Boo Hoo :roll: ) I'll still have to do something about the auxillary tank I bought if Four Old Fogeys are going to Ireland this year.
Your single seat certainly solves a lot of problems, Capitano. Tidy!

Capitano

Post by Capitano » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:01 pm

knapdog wrote: That is the light approach but for me, I never put anything on the front, nor side panniers. Shove everything in a bag behind the seat, and top box. Trouble is, of course, is the old chestnut of removing your bag everytime you need to fill up (Boo Hoo :roll: ) I'll still have to do something about the auxillary tank I bought if Four Old Fogeys are going to Ireland this year.
Your single seat certainly solves a lot of problems, Capitano. Tidy!
The front is purely for a camping mat that weighs next to nowt. The space it takes up is the issue , so one of Buzz's front racks is purpose made for it. The only other thing it's ever carried is a chicken soft toy on the Easter Egg run. I had to give it back to my dog after the run so that's not a permanent feature. :lol:

As for the dual seat opening issue with luggage, yep lesson learned on that one. I spied Biker Paul's Riders Cub single seat and rack on the last New Forest Softies weekend and bought one myself as soon as I got home. :)

Capitano

Post by Capitano » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:14 pm

Those waterproof stuffing sacks are well recommended though.

This was my set up for weekends away with my old club a few years ago.

Inside that sack was my tent, sleeping bag, cut down camping mat plus a change of clothes and underwear. Sorted! 8-)

knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Post by knapdog » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:00 am

Capitano, I found the bulky camping mat scenario was solved by getting a foldaway Thermarest. They're not cheap but they're great. I've still got the same one that I bought when I walked Offa's Dyke in 2002, camping along the way.