La France

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
Bogger
Maintenance Stasi
Rides:: 3 x C90,BMW R1200st, BMW R80RT, Honda Mode , Super Cub C125A, Yamaha Majesty 250

Re: La France

Post by Bogger » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:00 pm

Day 5

Todays mission should we choose to accept it, is, to travel back North, up the coast from Bayeux to a small village called Epretot. Some eighty miles away, not far from Le Havre.
But why? Well a couple of weeks before the trip I’d rung my French pal. Ronan. We’d had a natter about the forthcoming trip. He told me about him taking a week off work to show us around .
He said he would Ride up from Malestroit as he wanted to visit his Sister in her home village of Epretot.

He said we were all invited to stay at his Sisters house. Whilst talking to him I gave this some thought and suggested that just I would meet him on route to his Sisters house and I would stay.
There were a couple of reasons for this. Firstly I didn’t think it was fair to all rock up at his sisters place and take over the house and secondly I didn’t want to commit the others lads to de-camp and ride in the opposite intended direction of Brittany. A one hundred and sixty mile round trip from Bayeux.

He understood and I arranged to meet him at Pont L’eveque, thirty miles from his Sisters place.
However, Fatboy was in tow, he was heading back home. He had already planned another holiday away with his family, thus cutting this one short.

So, me and Fatboy set off at 8.30am on the Sunday From Bayeux, fully loaded for our French rendezvous at Pont L’Eveque. Leaving Nige and Jason to do their own thing in Bayeux. As it happened they went to see the Tapestry.
Ronans Sisters Place, Very Nice

Myself and Fatboy had expected to meet Ronans Sister and her husband. There were thirteen people, including us, for an afternoon barbecue and drinking session. My head was hurting from trying to tune in to the French language and understand snippets of what they were all talking about. We had a brilliant afternoon and evening and they couldn’t have been more friendly and welcoming. It was a bit humbling really.
Fatboy Tucking In
Ronan My French Pal in White
Later In Th Afternoon We Went For A Walk Around Epretot
View Of Epretot Across The Fields of Normandy
Some Of Our New French Chums

I’m glad Fatboy met Ronan and his Sisters family. There were top people, really friendly and genuinely happy for us to be there. I can't remember what time we got to bed. It wasn't early. Sleep came easily and I was looking forwards to tomorrows journey down to Malestroit.

Bogger

fatboytours
Rides:: C90T,C70 12v, C125, BMW 1200GSA, Triumph Thruxton R, Blood bike BMW R1250RT

Post by fatboytours » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:35 pm

Nice write up Bogger

They were indeed a very accomodating bunch. Are you going to divulge some of the english slang we taught them and the race to the pizza takeaway?

Thanks to Ronan's sister and family once again.

Bogger
Maintenance Stasi
Rides:: 3 x C90,BMW R1200st, BMW R80RT, Honda Mode , Super Cub C125A, Yamaha Majesty 250

Post by Bogger » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:17 pm

Day 6

Day six Monday
I awoke at my normal hour. 5am. I don’t think Ronan had much sleep. Apparently he said me and Fatboy had been snoring. In fact he called us a twin cylinder snoring machine. How rude.
So Fatboy was to head North for Dieppe and home, whilst myself and Ronan were back down South West to Bayeux to scoop up Nige and Jason and onto Brittany and Malestroit.
We bade our farewells to our latest French friends and Fatboy. But we shall return!!
Ronan astride his CB1000, asked how fast the C125 would cruise at. Sixty is fine mate. The journey back to Bayeux was uneventful and I was soon introducing Nige and Jason to Ronan.

Bayeux to Malestroit is 160mls. Not too far, even on a fully loaded 125. After refuelling, we set off at 11.00am and again take the faster Peage. The Peage in Brittany is free. We have a couple of stops in the Aires on the way and basically were getting our heads around part two of our trip.

All our bikes were running fantastically well. The fastest on the flat was my C125. On the long inclines Nige on his Innova engined square headlamp cub was marginally quicker when fully loaded. Later on in the trip without the camping gear on board the C125 was faster uphill.
Jasons CG never missed a beat all trip and could easily keep up apart from on the long uphill drags.

The dynamics of our group had changed with the loss of Fatboy and the introduction of Ronan.

My only real concern was, would Nige and Jason enjoy the ‘organised’ itinerary (with my input) and not feel pressured into going to places they didn’t really want to.

On most of our previous foreign escapades, of which there have been many, there might have been a destination in mind, but how we got there and back sort of just happened on a day to day basis. No real plan, or if there was one, it was liable to change on a whim.

Previous to the trip I’d bought them up to speed with what we’d planned and they were more than happy to go along with it. We’ll see!
On the way to Malestroit we skirt Rennes and are soon off the Peage and down the beautiful country roads of Brittany to Malestroit.
The River L'oust at Malestroit
Imageimage hosting site

Our campsite for the next few days is right on the river L’oust and a two minute stroll to the village. Ronan stays with us whilst we unpack and set up our tents chatting and getting to know Jason and Nigel.

Ronan said, of course you are all invited to our home tonight for a meal and drinks.
How nice of you to invite us. Are you really sure?

It is not negotiable. OK. Seven thirty it is then.
Our Campsite at Malestroit
Imagepicture url

Ronan and his family are lovely people and we enjoyed a delicious meal washed down with very strong beer. Ronan said that the beer was his ‘Peche Mignon’, excuse the spelling. The rough translation means ‘my favourite’.

At the dinner table Nige nearly damaged the entente cordiale between our two proud nations. He was offered and accepted a bottle of Ronans peche mignon beer.

As he put the bottle to his lips there was a very loud Gallic NON. Nige froze like a rabbit caught in the headlights of an approaching car. The look on his shocked face was really funny. It was a WTF have I done wrong look?

Ronan went on to explain that at the dinner table we drink out of glasses, not from the bottle. Bottles are ok outside. Me and Jason just couldn’t stop laughing at him.
Nige Finally Gets The Hang Of This Glass Thing

The conversation flowed freely and my worries about everybody ‘getting on’ melted away. A very enjoyable evening was had by all. I think were in the tents for 12.00am. It had been a long day.

I had a dreadful nights’ sleep. I just couldn’t get comfy.

Bogger

Bogger
Maintenance Stasi

Post by Bogger » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:04 pm

Day Seven

Today, as planned and discussed the previous evening, was a day out at the Manoir de L’Automobile museum. Also one of Ronans pals is Joining us, Franck.
Myself, Nige and Jason arrive at Ronans house in Malestroit at the 9.00am. We are introduced to Franck (another top bloke) and soon we are heading East out of Malestroit on the D776 towards Reminiac.

It’s a bit of an odd ensemble of bikes. Me on the C125, Jason on the CG125 and Nige on his 12v 1980’s Cub fitted with an Innova engine. Then there’s Ronan on the CB1000 and Franck on his 1972 BMW600. I’d describe the weather as a bit iffy as we set out. But, as the day went on, it got a lot better.

Still on the D776 we head towards Reminiac. Once there, we blinked and were out the other side and onto Monteneuf then the Town of Guer. Not far now to Loheac and the museum. I was going to say the car museum. But that would be doing it a disservice. There literally is something for everyone. It’s predominately car orientated, but there’s a massive variety of non-automobile themes. The entrance fee was fourteen Euros and well worth the money.
Motor Museum Exhibits

Imageprivate image hosting
Imageupload img
Vintage Outboard Heaven
Very Nice Delahaye

It is however typically old school French. At 12.30pm they turn all the lights off and kick you out for their lunch hour. As such, we take the opportunity to ride to the local supermarket and get our own lunch. It also allows us to get to know our new mate Franck a little better.

We go back to the museum for the afternoon stint and spend another couple of hours mooching around the exhibits. It’s hot and I’m feeling knackered from the lack of sleep. I wander back outside to the bikes, put my jacket on the floor, lay down and I’m in the land of nod. Before long I’m awoken by four blokes staring down at me gesticulating and saying we’ve got to go. Really?

Are we going back to Malestroit, I ask, bleary eyed. No were off to the large town of Redon to visit Ronans, Peche Mignon music shop. Ok. Twenty miles later we are pulling off one of the main roads of Redon and into the car park of Danett Music.
Danett Music
With A Bar :D
Nige, Ronan and Franck

Danett Music? It’s a musical instrument shop, with a bar in the middle of it and at night it’s a live music venue. Lets’ have a beer and listen to some music then. There were plenty of customers coming and going. Mainly, I have to say, buying beer and not instruments. It was way past six so time to get back to the campsite, twenty four miles away, back in Malestroit.
On The Bridge At Malestroit, Heading For the Bars
Imageimage storage

We’ve got a night to ourselves tonight, so once back at camp we have a shower a bite to eat and wander up to sample Malestroits’ bars and once again chat to the locals.
After a couple of hours it’s time for some more kip. It had rained heavily whilst in one of the bars, but the walk back was nice and dry.

Bogger

slowboy
Rides:: Honda Super Cub 125

Post by slowboy » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:29 am

Thanks for that. There is a fine resistance museum near Malestroit. Off to Brittany with a couple of groups next year, that motor museum is on the list now.

fatboytours
Rides:: C90T,C70 12v, C125, BMW 1200GSA, Triumph Thruxton R, Blood bike BMW R1250RT

Post by fatboytours » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:24 am

Great stuff Glyn, nice to know what I missed by bailing out early

Bogger
Maintenance Stasi

Post by Bogger » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:40 am

slowboy wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:29 am
Thanks for that. There is a fine resistance museum near Malestroit. Off to Brittany with a couple of groups next year, that motor museum is on the list now.
Next days events take in the resistance museum ;)

Bogger

slowboy
Rides:: Honda Super Cub 125

Post by slowboy » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:39 pm

Bogger wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:40 am
slowboy wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:29 am
Next days events take in the resistance museum ;)

Bogger
🤫😁

Bogger
Maintenance Stasi

Post by Bogger » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:24 pm

Day Eight Wednesday

Two miles from Malestoit is the village of St Marcel. The village has a small museum dedicated to the resistance movement. Apparently the Resistance were extremely active in the surrounding area during WW11. Seeing as we’re so close it would be a shame not to visit. It’s recently been completely refurbished and if you’re ever in the area it’s a must do. Two hours flew by and we could have spent much longer in there, there was so much to see.
We Was Here
Resistance Museum Exhibits
Imageforever and always poem
Imagefriendship poems and quotes
Imageyou are my angel quotes
Some Of The Outside Exhibits

On one of the walls was a massive photograph of Malestroit during the German occupation. I instantly recognised where the picture was taken and went and took my own image later that evening. When I took the image it was a bit weird. Everything was exactly the same as back in 1942. It was a goose bump, hair on the back of your neck moment.
Malestroit 1942 German Occupation
Malestroit 2022, Nothing Has Changed in 80yrs

Back on the museum car park, Franck is joining us again today and he rolls up on the trusty Bee Emm.
Where to now Ronan? I have ordered lunch at a Boulangerie and we are going to visit my parents in Muzillac, then onto Vannes.

Baguette, duly collected, along with a very tasty cream cake and in no time at all were pulling up outside Ronans parents small house. Small house Ronan are you taking the ****. Small as in three bedrooms, big garden and two garages type small. We must have spent an hour and a half eating drinking and talking.
Eating and Drinking ...Again

Imageunknown poems about life
Arriving At Ronans Parents

His parents English, like everyone elses we met, was very good. I asked where they had learnt? At school. They’re now in their seventies, they must have been practically fluent back in the day. The weather was boiling hot and we were shaded in the garden by their gazebo.

It’s now time to get over to the ancient coastal town of Vannes. We bade our farewells to another set of new friends and headed West for the short twenty mile journey to Vannes.

We park the bikes next to the inland harbour right by the old part of town. I think this is the time and possibly the place to buy a small prezzie for Mrs Bogger. She did allow me come to France after all.

We have a walk about taking in the grand and ancient architecture. It really is a nice place. We could have stayed much longer but it was time to get back to Malestroit and the campsite. On the way back through Vannes we pick up Ronans daughter from the College and head back. Near to Malestroit Franck peels off to head for home. One more stop before we get back.
Vannes

Just into Malestroit we turn right and stop outside Ronans inlaws house. Sacre bleu, more new friends. We have another drink and chat and are soon on our way to the campsite half a mile down the road. What a proper full on day. Phew.
At the campsite we make ourselves a bite to eat and Ronan and his two youngest children turn up on their push bikes and sit and chat with us for a couple of relaxing hours.
They start off for home, but we’ve lost all track of time and wander up to the village for a drink. Oops! Too late, all the bars are all closed. Time for bed.

Bogger

fatboytours

Post by fatboytours » Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:59 am

Very good Glyn.

Ronan must have the biggest tank bag I have ever seen. I wouldn't be able to get on the bike with that on it