Med2Med - For Alzheimer's and Stroke Ass

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
jrgibb
Rides:: 1985 C90E & Africa Twin

Med2Med - For Alzheimer's and Stroke Ass

Post by jrgibb » Mon May 10, 2021 7:17 pm

Hi all,

After my father, who had Alzheimer's died from Covid in the care home he was in in January and my mate lost his mother in law to a massive stroke late last years we decided to ride from the river Medway in Kent to the Mediterranean and back August 21st to Sept 5th this year on C90's. Nothing compared to what some of you guys have done but it's out little adventure to honour the family members we lost.

We've raised over £1500 so far and hope to smash our £2500 target. Will post updates here. More details;

https://med2med.co.uk/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/med2med

Thanks for any interest and support from you all

Jason & Chris

jrgibb

Re: Med2Med - For Alzheimer's and Stroke Ass

Post by jrgibb » Mon May 10, 2021 7:28 pm

Meet the girls;

Blue Steel & Fittywampus x

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Mon May 10, 2021 7:33 pm

Keep us informed of how you are getting on and lots of photos when you get back , 250 miles a day is a reasonable distance ,a second tank from a Honda generator 6 litre size gives a better range ,there is a bit of information on here about auxiliary tanks , I have a 6 litre one with a quick disconnect coupling and a 2 spigot fuel pet on the carb from an older bike with a reserve,straight swap.

jrgibb

Post by jrgibb » Mon May 10, 2021 7:47 pm

Thanks wightegi 👍

We've done about 500 miles around Kent so far and are ironing out bugs at the moment with the bikes. We're planning, as you say around 200 - 250 per day and will probably just carry a fuel can between us as we don't anticipate being to far from fuel in France.

Stopping for fuel is a good reason for a short break, the one thing I know from doing miles on my Africa Twin is that fatigue on a bike can become extremely dangerous and just 15 minutes for a drink and a snack is essential every couple of hours if not more. Plus it probably doesnt hurt the bikes to have a little break either :D

125erCrazy
Rides:: C125 Super Cub/Address 110

Post by 125erCrazy » Mon May 10, 2021 8:02 pm

jrgibb wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 7:47 pm
probably just carry a fuel can between us as we don't anticipate being to far from fuel in France.

Except on a Sunday or Bank Holiday,also be aware not all pay at pump accept all UK bank cards & previously sometimes a €99 will be taken as a test payment then the correct amount appear later (so have enough funds). French banks are in the dark ages and most not open on Mondays etc :ugeek:

jrgibb

Post by jrgibb » Tue May 11, 2021 9:08 am

Well, the story so far.

We got the two bikes in January two blue (the fastest colour) C90E 1985 & 1986. Christened Blue Steel (mine) and Chris has named his Kittywampus. Mine lacked a V5 and MOT but was on the DVLA system so took a risk and purchased her and got all the paperwork sorted and the bike MOT'd, the front suspension bushes needed replacing. Kitty, it's far to say is a little "tired" compared to Blue and on our first run out had carb problems.

Turns out Kitty had a Chinese replica carb (nuff said) and someone had decided that the best wat to re jet it was to run a drill part way down the aperture! Matthew Helliwell of Cubs In Africa and SBBA (Small Bikes Big Adventures) infamy stepped in and donated a genuine Honda carb, not only donated it but rebuilt it, plated it and also donated two sets of bearings and air filters - total star!

Blue was running well with a strong engine, needed a new seat, the rims were rusty as hell, original tyres as best I could make out, help from Paul Fuzz Fereday saw new boots purchased (Paul has also been very helpful with advice and mechanical know how)!

About 500 miles done around the Kent countryside and we've learning about the bikes capabilities and ours in terms of time on the seat, achievable mileage per day, range on a tank and the Kitty was still not running right and, on the last run played up a lot. Stalling, struggle to restart & underpowered. So Chris had the engine out - seems the valve clearance was too small and the exhaust valve was clagged up on the seat. So as we speak Kitty has her engine out.

Not wanting to be outdone I proceeded to partially strip the thread on the spark plug hole. Didn't want crap dropping into the engine so . . . engine out and stripped as well. Blue had also been running a little hot and there was some build up on the exhaust valve face and some fine scoring in the bore, hoping a quick hone will sort that - so both bikes off the road and engines in bits.

That's what this early testing is all about - that's what we keep telling ourselves . . . . still its all for charity folks!

https://www.med2med.co.uk ;)

knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Post by knapdog » Tue May 11, 2021 1:31 pm

Small donation made towards your target. Good Luck. Unforgettable journey, I'm sure.

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Tue May 11, 2021 4:14 pm

That looks like thje wrong casing on that engine ,is there a steel liner in the head ?

jrgibb

Post by jrgibb » Tue May 11, 2021 4:23 pm

wightegi wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 4:14 pm
That looks like thje wrong casing on that engine ,is there a steel liner in the head ?
My engine on the bench, Chris's head ergo different engines

jrgibb

Post by jrgibb » Tue May 11, 2021 4:25 pm

knapdog wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 1:31 pm
Small donation made towards your target. Good Luck. Unforgettable journey, I'm sure.
Many thanks, greatly appreciated