Transport poverty - the real cost.

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
remmington
Rides:: Honda Wave 110i BMW R80RT

Transport poverty - the real cost.

Post by remmington » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:04 am

Honda AFS110i Wave

1200 miles a year.

£200 depreciation a year
£20 road tax
£29 MOT test fee
£70 a year for tyres/chains/bulbs/filters/oil - general servicing - with me doing it and no labour.
£150 a year insurance - not sure of this as I add mine on my motortrade insurance
£52.50 in fuel at 130mpg for 1200 miles
£50 a year towards new gloves/helmet/waterproofs every few years (not an unreasonable estimate).

Gives a total of £571.50 a year or 48p a mile.

Come to the conclusion you want to be doing 4000 miles a year to dilute the fixed costs a bit - and make it a really cheap proposition!

125erCrazy
Rides:: C125 Super Cub/Address 110

Re: Transport poverty - the real cost.

Post by 125erCrazy » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:35 pm

TBH I think if you purchased scoot from new then depreciation is more (unless you incorporate long term ownership) but otherwise your figures seem pretty accurate to me at a glance.

However postcode dependant/age/experience on that mileage you could halve insurance

What you haven't factored is the huge smile & social side long lost on the myopic tin box brigade

remmington

Post by remmington » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:11 pm

125erCrazy wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:35 pm
TBH I think if you purchased scoot from new then depreciation is more (unless you incorporate long term ownership) but otherwise your figures seem pretty accurate to me at a glance.

However postcode dependant/age/experience on that mileage you could halve insurance

What you haven't factored is the huge smile & social side long lost on the myopic tin box brigade

I have never had a new bike - I always buy three year old low mileage ones and then run them to about ten years old. I paid £1350 for the current one - so that is how I got to £200 a year. But this will change into the future - as the new ones are getting so expensive.

I am not sure how much bike insurance costs - as I have always added them on my garage block policy.

What the little Honda has bought me is about three hours a week in saved time - I work six days a week - I can get to work in our little congested market town in about 5-10 mins - in a car it is more like 35-40 mins sometimes.

It is nice - filtering thru stationary traffic at low speed - never putting your feet down - smiling at the people stuck in their tin boxes.

horobags
Rides:: PCX 125, Vision 110

Post by horobags » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:16 pm

interesting, even running a small machine in the UK isn't cheap anymore. It makes me wonder when you look at roads in third world countries where millions can afford to run a small cc scoot/bikes on very very low wages.

remmington

Post by remmington » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:50 pm

horobags wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:16 pm
interesting, even running a small machine in the UK isn't cheap anymore. It makes me wonder when you look at roads in third world countries where millions can afford to run a small cc scoot/bikes on very very low wages.

No it is not cheap - I sort of thought it would work out - a lot less than 50p ish a mile.

Over the years with the little Honda's - I have not had any real expensive repairs either - worst is an exhaust or two (mostly I have just fabricated or welded a repair).

My problem is - at 1200 to 1500 miles a year _ I am not diluting the fixed costs with lots of cheap high MPG petrol.

4800 miles a year gets it to 20p a mile - with the same fixed costs and the extra fuel (but you are gonna catch more servicing/repairs/depreciation). So I reckon this will be more like 30p a mile

There is another saving - I have not factored in - parking - I don't pay for parking a scooter anywhere - I get a lot of hospital and doctors appointments - it is £2.40 an hour at our local hospital - I just park the Wave in the cycle shed.

The town I live in is gridlock most mornings and from 3pm to 6pm most evenings - the time I save is worth every penny.

Still can't get my head round TFL not encouraging more private motorcycles in its future plans. Just seems silly to me!

125erCrazy

Post by 125erCrazy » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:26 pm

horobags wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:16 pm
It makes me wonder when you look at roads in third world countries where millions can afford to run a small cc scoot/bikes on very very low wages.
mainly because they don't have Euro 4 soon to be 5,nobody gives a **** about traction control, abs, and due to said poor incomes most mechanics work at every street corner.

I understand that is all changing in Vietnam & India though as air pollution becomes an issue but then their government won't stick huge taxes on petrol so if people can afford to work they'll happily work (unlike here :shock: )

125erCrazy

Post by 125erCrazy » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:34 pm

remmington wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:50 pm
Still can't get my head round TFL not encouraging more private motorcycles in its future plans. Just seems silly to me!
The conspiracy theorist in me says- you cannot put speed limiters on motorcycles, it's harder to adapt penalty charging devices to read rear number plates only, you have to adapt road design for powered two wheelers (not that often is really considered) it prevents people being forced onto public transport due to congestion, your not seen to be green but can waste millions on cyclists who contribute nothing (pulls pin out of grenade & waits for the flack from that comment) unfortunately when solo riders do have an accident the cost 'to the system' runs into hundreds of thousand £s.

You can build safety into cars as Darwinsm is avoided & stupidity is allowed to survive (& in many cases sadly reproduce)

Soap box moment over :lol:

remmington

Post by remmington » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:15 pm

125erCrazy wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:34 pm
remmington wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:50 pm
The conspiracy theorist in me says- you cannot put speed limiters on motorcycles, it's harder to adapt penalty charging devices to read rear number plates only, you have to adapt road design for powered two wheelers (not that often is really considered) it prevents people being forced onto public transport due to congestion, your not seen to be green but can waste millions on cyclists who contribute nothing (pulls pin out of grenade & waits for the flack from that comment) unfortunately when solo riders do have an accident the cost 'to the system' runs into hundreds of thousand £s.

You can build safety into cars as Darwinsm is avoided & stupidity is allowed to survive (& in many cases sadly reproduce)

Soap box moment over :lol:
Funny really - your thoughts on this issue are very close to mine.

remmington

Post by remmington » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:17 pm

I am interested in the "pence per mile calculation"

I am self employed and have been for thirty plus years - accountants will convince you - the cost of running a vehicle is about equal to the fuel cost per mile. I am not sure that is true of late - with souring motoring costs.

Tranberg
Rides:: Anf125i

Post by Tranberg » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:54 pm

MOT is nothing but a Hoover to suck up money.

At least you're allowed to filter, here it's considered reckless driving and can cost you your driver's license. (1 point each instance, 3 points and it's good bye license)