NC500 PLUS in 32 days in July/August 2018

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Re: NC500 PLUS in 32 days in July/August 2018

Post by Newtsalad » Thu May 09, 2019 9:47 am

I have to ask, what was the nature of the attack, midges? Dogs? or person(s)? Whatever it was, I hope it wasn't too serious and it doesn't seem to have put you off adventuring! :D

Great write up and great pics, thanks for sharing, I'll bet there are many of us who wish we too could up and off for such an adventure! :D :D :D

Yogi
Rides:: Honda C90T

Post by Yogi » Thu May 09, 2019 5:03 pm

Newtsalad wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:47 am
I have to ask, what was the nature of the attack, midges? Dogs? or person(s)? Whatever it was, I hope it wasn't too serious and it doesn't seem to have put you off adventuring! :D

Great write up and great pics, thanks for sharing, I'll bet there are many of us who wish we too could up and off for such an adventure! :D :D :D
Thank you, I am glad you liked my photos. :D My Nokia Windows phone might not be too good as a satnav, but it has a relatively decent camera. All snaps were taken with that mobile. I am doing a proper write up about my trip but I think it might turn into a book. Brevity is not one of my virtues.

I am planning to go on a long trip every year, because I want to travel while I still can. My mother, who is 82 yrs old and still works as an accountant, says : 'If you have an opportunity to go somewhere, always do it, because you never know whether you will have another chance'. I think it makes a lot of sense. It does not matter if you have a big bike or small, or even if you have your motorbike licence or not.
This is why I went to Scotland from Kent on my Poppy with a bad foot and a walking stick in 2017. Everybody tried to discourage me from going but I thought that 'the following year my both feet might be bad and I wouldn't be able to go at all. :cry: '

As for the incident, I am afraid, I’d rather not put too many details about this unpleasant evening on here, but basically, there was an altercation with a bloke :twisted: (twice my height and twice my weight) who did not like me asking him not to pitch his tent two metres from mine :roll: , in a very secluded part of a campsite, where there were acres of land around. I did not sustain any injuries as I was wearing my riding jacket; when it got really dangerous I used :idea: my 100 dB mountain whistle (that I always have on my bike key ring) to summon help. These whistles make ideal personal alarms and can be used to attract attention, let’s say you have an accident and you are not visible from the road.
The incident did not put me off travelling, but it made me think seriously about wild camping. Had I been on my own in the middle of nowhere, the story could have had a different ending altogether. Nevertheless, I did camp on my own in Rothiemurchus Forest towards the end of my trip. :D I was adamant that the whole episode was not going to spoil my journey. Camping in a picturesque spot among three hundred years old Scott pines was an unforgettable experience. :D :D :D

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Thu May 09, 2019 10:35 pm

Wow! :o Well done for having such presence of mind to react the way you did!

While people are generally 99.99% good, there are misfits out there, (Most are on here anyway... :lol: :lol: :lol: ) and you did right to pick up on the danger signs.

So glad you are made of sterner stuff that it didn't overshadow your whole trip! :D

bebel
Rides:: Honda Innova 125

Post by bebel » Sat May 11, 2019 5:41 pm

Thank you for your photos. I have never been in Ireland or Wale or scotland. I enjoy all your photos. Thanks everybody.
Thierry from France

Yogi
Rides:: Honda C90T

Post by Yogi » Sun May 12, 2019 12:02 pm

bebel wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 5:41 pm
Thank you for your photos. I have never been in Ireland or Wale or scotland. I enjoy all your photos. Thanks everybody.
Thierry from France
Hello Thierry,
I am so glad you like my photos. I haven't been to Wales or Ireland either, however, I am planning to go to Wales after my third solo trip to Scotland, this time to Outer Hebrides. For now, I can recommend Scotland, because I found it breathtakingly beautiful. You must have heard a lot about our weather. Just remember, that there is no bad weather, only inappropriate clothing! :)

slowboy
Rides:: Honda Super Cub 125

Post by slowboy » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:35 am

Only just caught up with this. What a brilliant trip and some excellent photographs. What a shame an idiot spoilt what I guess was otherwise a great journey. As newt said, hope that hasn't put you off travelling.
I am finding more and more my cub is the best way to go places and see things.