John O'Groats to Land's End (Charity ride)

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
Mtaylor
Rides:: 1986 (C reg) Honda C90e

John O'Groats to Land's End (Charity ride)

Post by Mtaylor » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:51 am

Morning everyone!
Myself and 2 friends had a rather random idea after a few too many beers one night last year of riding the country on our 90's (Camping the full route)
Logistics have been interesting but we are pretty much there. Roll on July!!
I just wanted to bounce this off the club members for a little advice and perhaps support for our trip!
We will be carrying the usual tools, tubes, spare tyre, plugs, oil, etc but is there anything that is a must for a trip such as this. any suggestions on checks prior to the trip (again apart from usual servicing etc) Sorry i'm no mechanic! (although i do have full breakdown cover :lol: - hopefully this wont be needed)
We are looking to do in excess of 300 miles per day and complete this in 4 days. I've seen this has pretty much been completed in 24 hours but any advice on this would be ideal.
If allowed i would love to share our JustGiving page to help us reach our target for Macmillan Cancer Support.
Appreciate any help :D
Thank you all.

Viper254
Rides:: C70C (12v) (1983), Suzuki Inazuma 250 (2016)

Re: John O'Groats to Land's End (Charity ride)

Post by Viper254 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:51 am

Hi bud,

I've done this on a similar bike, and the most boring part is after Minehead as you get past Bristol.

For the Midlands, you can push up through Wolverhampton, Stoke-on-Trent and then get to the good bits again by heading into the Peaks via Leek, or head over to Wales and have epic riding there.

There's loads of other options - but yeah, I found around Bristol hard going.

Good luck!

knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Post by knapdog » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:57 am

Firstly, well done for doing this for charity.
Nearly four years ago four of us did it ( the Four Old Fogeys) for a local children's hospital and we had an unforgettable time that was a laugh a minute.
We did it on B roads and Minor roads only, in 12 days and planned it for the best views.
You may well be time restricted but personally I think you're crazy to be doing 300 miles a day on a boneshaker and you may regret it. Your a*se will be on fire though it can be done if you're prepared to put up with the discomfort.
We averaged around a hundred miles per day and stayed in B&B's and family rooms in Travelodge/Premier Inns which meant sharing the cost of a room by four. (Don't use Travelodge in Fort William.)
We'd always start the day with a good breakfast, stop for coffee breaks and pub lunches, taking our time and enjoying the scenery.
Remember you'll only get around 100 miles per tank and will have to hope when you get near to fill up time, there is going to be a petrol station. This will not always be the case, particularly in Scotland. I advise that you carry emergency fuel in an appropriate container.
We have stalwart hardcore members who have been up for a Jogle 24hr challenge, yes, but it was that very challenge that they were up for.
Take your time, each day's journey is the important thing, not racing to get to your destination.
The only thing we needed to do to the bikes was retension the chains slightly half way down. We took the minimum amount of tools and the only spares we took were a couple of inner tubes.
Each night, in the car parks we tried to park outside our room window, if we could, and always ran a chain in a loop through the four bikes.
The scenery and people we met were amazing. I'd do it all again. We eventually raised £3500. One old guy in Fort Augustus even gave us his pocket watch to auction off "for the bairns"!
The four bikes had a lot of attention along the way and started many a conversation going.
Good luck. You'll find loads of info on here by searching.

L/R : the fox, knapdog, billyfix and libby.
Last edited by knapdog on Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mtaylor

Post by Mtaylor » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:09 pm

Viper254 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:51 am
Hi bud,

I've done this on a similar bike, and the most boring part is after Minehead as you get past Bristol.

For the Midlands, you can push up through Wolverhampton, Stoke-on-Trent and then get to the good bits again by heading into the Peaks via Leek, or head over to Wales and have epic riding there.

There's loads of other options - but yeah, I found around Bristol hard going.

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply and heads up. We've tried to keep the ride as scenic as possible and avoid minehead to be honest so fingers crossed :-) ill keep you posted when we complete the trip

Mtaylor

Post by Mtaylor » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:17 pm

knapdog wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:57 am
Firstly, well done for doing this for charity.
Nearly four years ago four of us did it ( the Four Old Fogeys) for a local children's hospital and we had an unforgettable time that was a laugh a minute.
We did it on B roads and Minor roads only, in 12 days and planned it for the best views.
You may well be time restricted but personally I think you're crazy to be doing 300 miles a day on a boneshaker and you may regret it. Your a*se will be on fire though it can be done if you're prepared to put up with the discomfort.
We averaged around a hundred miles per day and stayed in B&B's and family rooms in Travelodge/Premier Inns which meant sharing the cost of a room by four. (Don't use Travelodge in Fort William.)
We'd always start the day with a good breakfast, stop for coffee breaks and pub lunches, taking our time and enjoying the scenery.
Remember you'll only get around 100 miles per tank and will have to hope when you get near to fill up time, there is going to be a petrol station. This will not always be the case, particularly in Scotland. I advise that you carry emergency fuel in an appropriate container.
We have stalwart hardcore members who have been up for a Jogle 24hr challenge, yes, but it was that very challenge that they were up for.
Take your time, each day's journey is the important thing, not racing to get to your destination.
The only thing we needed to do to the bikes was retension the chains slightly half way down. We took the minimum amount of tools and the only spares we took were a couple of inner tubes.
Each night, in the car parks we tried to park outside our room window, if we could, and always ran a chain in a loop through the four bikes.
The scenery and people we met were amazing. I'd do it all again. We eventually raised £3500. One old guy in Fort Augustus even gave us his pocket watch to auction off "for the bairns"!
The four bikes had a lot of attention along the way and started many a conversation going.
Good luck. You'll find loads of info on here by searching.

L/R : the fox, knapdog, billyfix and libby.
Knapdog,

Thank you for the reply and detail you have put into this.
We are all struggling for leave from work etc so we have had to reduce the time of the trip to accommodate other family commitments throughout the year which I agree is a shame.
It maybe that we extend by a day or 2 but our goal is 4 days. I agree with your comments though. If it helps i'm used to long durations 'in the saddle' having cycled Leeds to Paris and Coast to Coast in a day last year... albeit i admit a different saddle.....
We plan to be up and on the road at 5am daily to get the miles in early doors! hopefully having time for a beer on an evening....
We've extended the route when we leave John O'Groats to take in the west coast of Scotland so we are aware that we will need to be carrying additional fuel.
The main question.... is the bike up to it?
I'll keep the page updated as we progress and if OK i'd love to share the charity page.

Regards

knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Post by knapdog » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:44 pm

Ok.
If you're a cyclist then you'll be used to it. Getting up at 05.00 will also give you a good day for travelling with sensible stops.
This will be a good four day challenge.
Once your Justgiving page is up, I'm in.
Give the bikes a good service and they will be more than up for it.

Mtaylor

Post by Mtaylor » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:03 pm

knapdog wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:44 pm
Ok.
If you're a cyclist then you'll be used to it. Getting up at 05.00 will also give you a good day for travelling with sensible stops.
I was hoping the experience of a dead bum may help ;-)
Fingers crossed our plan works and we all make it :-)
Our page is here. I'll also add it to the thread.
https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/lee-mark-shane
Thanks again Knapdog!!

Mtaylor

Post by Mtaylor » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:09 pm

If anyone can help push us towards our target for this great cause it would be very much appreciated.

and apologies for the statement "3 pretty crappy Honda C90's" - We all love our bikes but it does help to generate interest :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mtaylor

Post by Mtaylor » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:32 pm

Mtaylor wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:03 pm
knapdog wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:44 pm
Ok.
I was hoping the experience of a dead bum may help ;-)
Fingers crossed our plan works and we all make it :-)
Our page is here. I'll also add it to the thread.
Thanks again Knapdog!!
Knapdog you are a star!! Many thanks for your kind donation!!

125erCrazy
Rides:: C125 Super Cub/Address 110

Post by 125erCrazy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:39 pm

Mtaylor

A very worthy cause.

Having done several long haul trips on small CC machines (Suzuki owners club furthest travelled award for one)

I would just say riding in a group as mates be honest with each other if one of you is too tired to do the distance that day speak up (we all have different thresholds different days) Solo travel you only please yourself

As you travelling in July hydration is paramount if the weather is only slightly warm (you'll know this as a cyclist) consider a camel back.

You've covered the West coast a spare fuel can is a must and even the best sat nav will tell you there's fuel where there ain't (Pitlochy springs to mind)

You have breakdown cover but between you try to have different mobile service providers as mobile dead zones don't help anyone.

Carry a first aid kit, doesn't need to be for you but when your off the beaten track it's amazing what presents itself (foil blankets are a must carry just in case)

Jet boil stoves are lightweight and quick, the pack meals ideal for an emergency (as is Kendal cake & such) self heating cans bulky.

If you fancy a tipple wine boxes are perfect take the plastic inner out the cardboard and you'll be amazed how small a space it takes (beer a pain and explodes if your not careful)

Enjoy the adventure