Sypan`s story. Akela,we'll do our best!

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
SYPAN
Rides:: Honda C90 BMW F650CS Honda Camino

Re: My story book

Post by SYPAN » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:06 pm

Appendix 2: Eating Places

These are my top 10 cafes and have all made me welcome and, in my non-gourmet opinion, serve excellent food at very good prices. Most of these have the big advantage that you can keep an eye on your bike while you eat and drink.

1) Ladybower Café – in reality a catering van in a lay-by at the Sheffield end of Snake Pass, having wonderful views over Ladybower Reservoir. It is run by a fascinating and amusing lady called Julie, Spam processed meat features heavily on the menu and you are almost certain to meet interesting customers. It has been featured on The Hairy Bikers programme on BBC TV. I cannot recommend this one highly enough. Always there in summer but less predictable at other times. No toilet but lots of trees!

2) Glossop Cafeteria – at the other (Manchester) end of Snake Pass in the delightful market town of Glossop. This café is just off the market square and despite its rather unattractive exterior serves the best food at exceptionally reasonable prices (pancakes and Full English Breakfast highly recommended). This café is popular with bikers at weekends but is quieter during the week.

3) Yondermann Café – a real transport café in Wardlow on the A628 where we have always been made welcome. Highlights include free motorcycle newspapers, free stickers (another obsession) and excellent food, particularly the Derbyshire Oatcakes with cheese. They also have an interesting collection of old photographs on display. On our last visit I noticed a For Sale sign outside so I’m hoping this won’t be the harbinger of drastic change.

4) Castleton Visitor Centre – a fairly new café at the visitor centre in this iconic Peak District village. It serves excellent food and as a bonus has free motorcycle parking in clear view from your table. It also has an attached small museum and outdoor clothing shop.

5) Green Hut Café (Forest Corner Snack Bar) - on the A616 at Ollerton roundabout. Excellent food (especially home made cakes) at very reasonable prices. Very popular with bikers, especially at the weekend. It has, in my experience, previously had rather erratic opening hours but if it’s closed there are plenty of other options in the near vicinity.

6) The Old Smithy in Monyash – another café popular with bikers, cyclists and walkers. Once again, busy at weekends and on most sunny weekdays. Lovely location on the village green and good food (oatcakes again!).

7) Willy Woods Bikers Meeting Place - Willingham Woods near Market Rasen. A must visit venue mainly for the atmosphere and ever changing bike show. Food and drinks ok, toilets are interesting.

8) Squires Café Bar – Sherburn in Elmet. Northern legend biker café, popular and well worth a visit but seems a bit contrived to me. Extensive web site.

9) Old Station Café – Snaith, just off A19 north of Doncaster. Good food, pleasant location, customers and staff. Hosts lots of interesting events on attached camping ground. Worth consideration if you’re planning an event.

10) Matlock Bath – I can’t really pick a favourite here but there is plenty of choice at this well-known biker venue. I like the Cycle and Toy Museum café but good fish and chips everywhere. The venue for an annual C90 Club pilgrimage and you will often bump into other Cubbers when you visit. Watch out for the Traffic Wardens who can be quite zealous.

SYPAN
Rides:: Honda C90 BMW F650CS Honda Camino

Re: My story book

Post by SYPAN » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:07 pm

Appendix 3 – Useful Contacts and Sources of Information

Clubs

1) C90 Club.
Mainly on-line club with large national and international membership. Some local and national meets. Very informal and free. Forum is the best source of information, knowledge and general banter on all Cub related matters. Also, bikes and spares for sale.

2) National Autocycle and Cyclemotor Club (NACC)
Club catering for all things related to small bikes – not really Cubs but these are made welcome on a wide range of organised runs. Has an excellent bi-monthly magazine, machine validation and registration scheme.

3) Trail Riders Fellowship (TRF)
If you’re going off-road this is the club to join.
www.trf.org.uk

Spares and Repairs

1) One Off Welding - Paul Willis
Welding/fabrication/Engineering – based in Elsecar near Barnsley. The absolute top man, his business card motto is ‘To Sort Out Your Bad Day’ – he does this and much, much more.
www.oneoff.co.uk

2) CMS
Internet-only business that offers an impressive range of spares. Their website has a wide range of exploded parts diagrams for many older motorcycle models which are useful during rebuilds and for finding Honda part numbers. Be careful, as prices do not include local taxes and postage, which bump prices up massively.
www.cmsnl.com

3) David Silver Spares – Leiston, Suffolk
Spare parts for older Hondas. Look up part number on CMSNL website and order from David Silver. Their spares stock is good but not as extensive as CMS.
www.davidsilverspares.co.uk
01728 833020

4) Miles Kingsport - Hull
Honda Spares - good range of genuine spares for Cubs at genuine Honda prices but at least you know they will fit right.
www.mileskingsport.com
01432 323529

All Honda accredited dealers can order and supply standard parts for Cubs. You may have a long wait but the parts are guaranteed to fit.

5) Seat re-covering
a) Tony Archer: Unit 7d, Bradley Mills Road, Huddersfield.
01484 536832
Has re-covered and re-shaped two seats for me on other bikes. Excellent individual service at a very good prices. Will re-cover to custom or original pattern and fit gel inserts and new foam if required.

b) Core Motorcycle Seating:
The Barn, Ashtree Farm, Sudbrooke, Nettleham, Lincoln LN2 2QQ.
01522 510397 www.coremotorcycleseating.co.uk
Re-covered my Cub seat to a high standard using top quality material. They also build Custom Cubs and make seats for Guy Martin (although I suspect that he doesn’t say “They also did Phil’s Cub seat!”). Not the cheapest but work to the highest standards.

6) Shot Blasting and Powder Coating:
Marriott Shot Blasting & Powder Coating,
Deepdale Close, Hartington Ind Est, Staveley, Chesterfield S43 3YF
Steve offers a bespoke service at very reasonable prices. He is very experienced in restoration of motorcycle frames and fittings. He is also a Cub enthusiast with a range of Cub related stories – he is the only person who has told me about running a Cub using washing up liquid as lubricant!

Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Re: Akela, we'll do our best!

Post by Capitano » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:28 pm

Now unlocked and transferred . 8-)

But to stop people from quoting the whole article over and over this bit will remain locked .I Will start a new thread below.

wightegi

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Re: Akela, we'll do our best!

Post by Newtsalad » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:49 pm

Good work chaps, well done. :D

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Re:Sypan`s story. Akela,we'll do our best! Sypan`s story

Post by wightegi » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:25 pm

Just modified the header to read Sypan`s story .
wightegi