Maps/Route planning

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
notquiteeligible
Rides:: C90, PC50, BMW R60/6, BSA Round Tank, VeloSolex 660

Maps/Route planning

Post by notquiteeligible » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:55 pm

Has anyone any good ideas for route planning to avoid motorways and other fast roads, that are distinctly unfriendly to C90 riders?

Diesel Dave
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left

Re: Maps/Route planning

Post by Diesel Dave » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:00 pm

I like the old Tom Tom app for smartphones - it had a 'Winding Roads' option and you had 3 levels of 'windy-ness' you could choose from.

My favourite for planning all c90 and diesel bike routes anywhere.

onittino3
Rides:: Honda C90, Honda Cb500x

Post by onittino3 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:18 pm

I use a Garmin Zumo, satnav, which is designed for motorcycles, water proof, oil resistant and motorcycle glove friendly, it has the option of windy roads ect but the downloadable Garmin base camp is a fantastic route planning software, just draw your own route and download it to the device, I can plan a 200 mile bespoke route in under 30 mins, it also has an option when you haven't planed a route to avoid certain roads, all you do is click on the map at the start of the road you want to avoid and at the end and it will plan you a route avoiding the roads selected, this came in handy when I was touring Somerset and Dorset, I didn't plan a route for the way home. So I opted to avoid the whole of the A303, M3, A3 and the M25, I have it on the bike everytime I go out even if I'm not using it, as it recognises the types of roads you use, now that I've covered nearly 3000 Miles it normally avoids all major A roads and Motorways...only down side is they are not the cheapest satnav, but its the best I've ever used on a motorcycle and the easiest I've found to create bespoke routes.

Terry.

Dylan
Rides:: C90G 1987

Post by Dylan » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:32 pm

I, like DD use the Tom Tom on my phone with the winding roads function. It really is perfect for motorcycling. As mentioned the feature is not available now on the TomTom Go App, but there is a way to download the old Tomtom Europe which does have the feature. That's how I got it. I think it cost me around £40 ish but it was worth every penny. I can now plan great routes without touching motorways or even main A roads.

I just plan the route, stick my phone in a pocket and listen to instructions through either earphones or bluetooth. It can be minimised on the screen also so it uses very little battery I find.

The link is here. Just read though some posts and you will see a link to take you to a download page should you want it.

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/tomto ... le-1000269

knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Post by knapdog » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:06 pm

Also have a Garmin Zumo, 660. Planned every day's route on "Tyre" and transferred it all to the sat nav, when we did Jogle.