killarney cork honda 90 trip june 2016 ireland part 1

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
shayshondacub90
Rides:: 1998 honda cub 90

killarney cork honda 90 trip june 2016 ireland part 1

Post by shayshondacub90 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:30 am

so this year i was off to killarney again in lovely kerry but not to do the ring of kerry as iv done it 3 times and fancied something a little different ;)
my travelling companions this year were from kildare a mere 35miles away and we were riding the bikes down to killarney and back.
early fri morning i hit the road all packed up and met the gang (5 other lads on much older bikes than mine)
i was a little nervous as one 1980s honda 90 had a 2003 tax disc and the guy thought it was hillarious that it was expired by so long :shock:
other 4 bikes looked like they were pulled out of sheds just for this trip as dident look used much at all..
anyway oil checked tanks filled we hit the road for our first leg of the trip kildare to mitchelstown in cork where we were all staying .
it was nice and warm and we averaged 40 miles between stops .
the wexford lads were meeting us in cahir in tipperary (7 more bikes) and we were all travelling to our accomadation in cork for the night.
few hours later we had reached cahir and we parked up waiting for the wexford boys to arrive..
they arrived on a selection of small hondas 125s and 250s and one lad had a ex cop bikelack repainted matt black.
quick teabreak and chat we set off for mitchelstown and arrived at approx 4pm.
the place we were staying was a place called to park and the guy who owns it has a honda run every sept(iv never been)and he was letting us stay in a converted barn
now insulated and had alluminium doors and windows :)
he was a very hyper man and he was wired to the moon :lol:
he was excited to see us all and said we could do anything we wanted :?
beer was all we wanted and he showed us the fridge he had stocked full of cold beer :D
he then said he had arranged for us to go to the local pub just up the road(8miles) and mary had food for us ready .
off we went on the bikes and it was still very warm when we arrived at the pub.
some nice cold drinks had and some food we head back to drop the bikes off and have some beer as we were melting at this stage...
he dropped us off 5 at a time in his car and made 3 trips to get us all down to the boozer (what a nice bloke)
the pub was like going back in time and old woman shook all our hands and interdouced herself and welcommed us to the area :)
she brought sandwiches pizza slices all night and was probely happy her tiny pub was full at last :lol:
heading home was a scary experience as road was black with no light and our host now full of whiskey was driving us 5 at a time :?
to be continued

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Re: killarney cork honda 90 trip june 2016 ireland part 1

Post by Newtsalad » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:28 am

Great stuff Shay, reminds me of Su and I visiting last year, we stayed just outside Lauragh, by Glanmore Lake,
and it's so beautiful there. The pubs and the people are delightful. :D

knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Re: killarney cork honda 90 trip june 2016 ireland part 1

Post by knapdog » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:59 pm

On a whim, and on my toddy, I'm very tempted to head for the south west next week for a week.
Take the ferry to Rosslare then I think it's about a four hour journey.
I'm taking a one man tent though could well stay in the occasional hotel. I've no idea of the prices.
If anyone can recommend any good campsites with good showering facilities then please feel free to post them.
I've got a telescopic fishing rod to take for a bit of fun and I'm certainly looking forward to the scenery. But before I commit, I'll be having a good look at the weather forecast.
I may take the cub but will probably take the cbf1000. Have yet to decide.
Unfortunately, out of the Four Old Fogeys, libby can't go due to L plates, the fox has innumerable events going on to celebrate his golden wedding anniversary and billyfix is still recovering from his heart surgery which leaves Knapdog the Pathfinder to fly the flag.