Questions for the long distance Cubbers !

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
Yogi
Rides:: Honda C90T

Re: Questions for the long distance Cubbers !

Post by Yogi » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:32 am

Hi guys, thank you, and I wish I have seen r80rob post before I set off!
So here is my story:

KENT TO SCOTLAND ATTEMPT NUMBER 1.
Weather - thick fog and drizzle
Forward visibility - zilch
Forecast - Storm Katie approaching
Rider's health - an acute case of get-there-itis
Total journey time (round trip) - 15 min
Total distance (round trip) - 3 miles
Speed - about 20 mph
Fuel used - 26p worth
Final outcome - Kent to Scotland attempt number 2 planning in progress!

Lesson learned - If you have a large wind shield fitted and cannot see THROUGH it, or OVER it - thou shalt not strap a thick cushion to the seat with pannier straps! Thou shalt cut the blasted screen to size first and then go!

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:03 am

When I went down to Calonge with the lads, I went to QD's bought some cheap T shirts socks and pants, threw them away as they got dirty, made useful rags too for sorting the bikes.

knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Post by knapdog » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:32 pm

Newtsalad wrote:When I went down to Calonge with the lads, I went to QD's bought some cheap T shirts socks and pants, threw them away as they got dirty, made useful rags too for sorting the bikes.
Would endorse the chucking.
Have a look in your drawers. I bet most of us are due some new packs of boxers. So, take a load pf old ones and chuck a pair away each day.
Same goes for old shirts. It doesn't matter what you wear under your motorcycle jacket. Keep some nice ones for the evening and bin loads of old ones. Your pack will be half the size by the end of a trip.

Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Post by Capitano » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:59 pm

knapdog wrote:
Newtsalad wrote:When I went down to Calonge with the lads, I went to QD's bought some cheap T shirts socks and pants, threw them away as they got dirty, made useful rags too for sorting the bikes.
Have a look in your drawers. I bet most of us are due some new packs of boxers. So, take a load pf old ones and chuck a pair away each day.
Same goes for old shirts. It doesn't matter what you wear under your motorcycle jacket. Keep some nice ones for the evening and bin loads of old ones. Your pack will be half the size by the end of a trip.
Yep, that's what I do. Work socks get washed one last time and chucked in a bag when they start to wear out, along with T shirts and boxers. Every time I go away on the bike I then have a selection of sacrificial clothes I can wear, use as cloths, then sling away.

I'd wear boxers a lot longer than one day before slinging them, though ... but maybe that's just me. :lol:

knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Post by knapdog » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:24 pm

Capitano wrote:
knapdog wrote:
Yep, that's what I do. Work socks get washed one last time and chucked in a bag when they start to wear out, along with T shirts and boxers. Every time I go away on the bike I then have a selection of sacrificial clothes I can wear, use as cloths, then sling away.

I'd wear boxers a lot longer than one day before slinging them, though ... but maybe that's just me. :lol:
We could, of course, start a new trend by wearing thongs which would take up less space and be lighter.
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

r80rob
Rides:: 73 c70 with c90 110, 72 MZ es250 and a r80!

Post by r80rob » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:49 pm

Live and learn , that's half the fun , I just had underwear and thermals plus bike gear , I wore the thermals every day for a week :lol:

Full thread if you're interested

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9511&hilit=Brads&start=0

Don Steve
Rides:: Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport, BMW F800 S, BMW F650 CS, Gas Gas 400, Honda C90 Cub.

Post by Don Steve » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:43 am

A mate of mine (Two Puds), recons a pair of underpants can last you four weeks.

1st week worn regular
2nd week worn 'back to wind'
3rd week worn inside out and regular
4th week worn inside out and back to wind

After that you don't have to throw them away, take the lashings off them and they'll run away themselves.
You could probably catch them on a fast C90 but I'm betting they'd have more traction in the corners.

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:59 am

Oh dear! :roll: Clean socks and pants for me every day I'm afraid. 'Extreme camping' for me is every other day! :D

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:06 pm

You lot are soft go commando just like Bogger.. :o :? :lol:

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.

Post by Newtsalad » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:25 pm

Terrible business..... :roll: