Questions for the long distance Cubbers !

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
airhead_eire
Rides:: '99 Cub 90 & Airhead BMW's....

Questions for the long distance Cubbers !

Post by airhead_eire » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:58 pm

Hi All,

I'm currently contemplating/researching a Continental trip (France/Spain) this year on my 90 from Ireland. It would mean a ferry to
Roscoff, France and then ride south towards Spain. I'm thinking my furthest point would be Valencia.
The steed in question is my trusty 12v Cub 90 1999 model and it is in very good condition cosmetically and mechanically. I have many
European trips done on bigger bikes, but this would be my first long distance trip on the Cub 90 under it's own steam (it has been around
Europe on the rear of my VW ! :D).
Initially, I was planning to do another trip this year on my R100GS but then I thought doing it on the Honda would be something a little
different.....for me that is.
I plan on carrying little in the way of personal luggage but will be taking my tent, sleeping bag, ground mat etc.
So, to those of you have have traveled afar on your little Honda's, what kind of mileage is realistic per day do you think ? I'd like to make
it enjoyable so I'd rather not turn it into an Iron Butt rally scenario !!! Also, how many hours riding overall is achievable without walking
like John Wayne as a result ?!
I do realize the questions above can be very rider specific i.e. some find it easier to ride for longer and farther on a daily basis than others.
So, given that, I'm just looking for some thoughts & opinions. I'll definitely take the bike out for a long ride once this weather settles and
get a feel for what I can do. In the meantime, your thoughts ?

Cheers,
Mark.

stevew
Rides:: MaxSym 400i (2013) Wave110i (2014)

Re: Questions for the long distance Cubbers !

Post by stevew » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:46 pm

Hi Mark,

Here's my twopennyworth,
200 a day is do-able but get a nice early start. Always easier to get the miles done early.
Cubs are pretty comfortable so 8 hours shouldn't be too much of a problem. If you get a sore arse get an Airhawk.
Carry some extra fuel then you won't be hunting for a petrol station every 80 miles. I fitted an aux tank and i think that's the easiest option.
Fit a screen, bike goes faster and less fatigue. Earplugs are good too.
Front rack is good to spread the load but don't put heavy stuff on there.
Standard gearing and use 50 mph as your max. Otherwise flat out all day :o Works for me.

Up graded to a full on adventure bike now though !!

Off to the Alps later this year ;)

cheers
SteveW

airhead_eire
Rides:: '99 Cub 90 & Airhead BMW's....

Post by airhead_eire » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:36 pm

@stevew:
Many thanks for that reply. Loads of good info there for me to take onboard. You Cub looks like it have done some serious
trips in it's time. I do always wear ear plugs and have taken part in endurance race here in Ireland on C90's so I might be off
to a good start ! :D
The extra fuel tank is a great idea. May I ask what you used and how much it holds ?
Congrats on the new adventure bike.....I hope it brings you as much fun as the Cub has !

Diesel Dave
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left

Post by Diesel Dave » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:37 pm

Lay everything out - remove half - then pack, make sure you have a little free space for groceries/water/beer/supermarket stops.

Have a packing system so you know where stuff is (or at least in what approximate area/bag)

If your on your own - take a lock and chain.

Check the oil every fill up. Bike oil is cheaper to buy 'over there'. Also take this opportunity to drink fluids yourself.

Carry additional fuel - even if it's not plumbed in as fuel stations can be far apart in rural France & Spain. Make sure it can't be seen by the ferry lads.

Don't buy Chinese wheels.

Lube the chain daily.

Tyre pressures daily.

Remember to drink water through the day.

A bar of soap can wash both you and your smalls (at the same time if needs must in the shower).

Keep in contact with home base - make sure they have enough knowledge to send spares if required. (Don't mention wheel bearings to BCP)

Take a first aid kit - treat small cuts on your hands as shoving them into dirty sweaty gloves will cause problems.

Take tea-bags, the only stuff you get on the Continent is Liptons and it's disgusting.

More than a weekend? Take a petrol stove, especially if your cooking in the evening.

You will get aches and pains - Ibuprofen will help.

Travelling solo - people will want to talk to you; they are not mad so don't treat them with suspicion.

Remember to enjoy yourself and not treat it like an endurance contest, stop and take that photo/cafe lunch/sunset.

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:48 pm

I did a trip down to Calonge with some guys from here, and although it was a great laugh and good fun, the days were too long for me. 200-250 day in day out was OK for the lads that just wanted to ride, but if I was making a holiday of it, I would set a daily target of around 150 miles per day.

Plus I'm not a 5am in the morning chap. Each to their own, but for me, 150 a day and enjoy some stops on the way.

Oh, and my 90 and I are on the Iron Butt register. ;) :D

stevew

Post by stevew » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:26 pm

Start here Mark,

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13224&hilit=aux+tank

Any specific questions, fire away :lol: :lol:

BTW why not stick your rough location in your profile then when i'm in Ireland next i can come and harass you :lol:
Did an Ireland tour last year. Anti clockwise from Dublin to Limerick.

krazy kev
C90Club Clown!
Rides:: 12V CUB HEINZ

Post by krazy kev » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:14 am

What i would say if you intend to do any long distance riding is to make sure that you carry a selection of basic spares.
i believe the C90 was not sold in france.
You should consider the following as an absolute minimum

Inner tube, spare valve & rim tape (& tyre if space permits)
CDI unit
Coil
HT lead and cap and spark plug
stator plate
bulb kit and fuses (legal requirement in some countries)
rectifier
throttle cable
carb gasket kit and fuel pipe & filter
exhaust gasket
correct sized chain and link

i use an old square shaped paint tin to put spares in.

dont forget a good selection of tools but only tools that are actually used for a cub.
you will also need a compact footpump and valve key. i also carry a puncture kit so i
can fix any punctures when more convenient.
it may sound silly but i normally carry a lump of plywood. this is to put under the centre stand on soft ground.
Just cut it to a sensible size.

Here is my bike, Heinz in full touring mode. This was before I left for the Gower Bimble last June. He will be carrying a lot more
When I go to my Mothers next week. At least he is a gutsy little workhorse. The standard 90 gearing is going to be useful on the 110 engine
as the Heads of the Valleys road (A465) is steep in some parts. There is also Birdlip hill in Gloucester which is a steep 3 mile slog
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BenB
The Byway Bad Boy!
Rides:: C90E gold, MSX125 and CRF1000 Africa Twin

Post by BenB » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:48 am

JFDI

stevew

Post by stevew » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:06 am

BenB wrote:JFDI
Eh ??

Could it be just f****** do it ;)
If so +1

You really don't need all that stuff listed by kev . if the bike has already done a few thousand miles there is no reason to expect a breakdown. Mine has done 50k . most bits can be locally found. Good pre check , all working well ? Then get on and ride. Less is more !!!

krazy kev
C90Club Clown!
Rides:: 12V CUB HEINZ

Post by krazy kev » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:08 am

stevew wrote:
BenB wrote:JFDI
Eh ??
just f*****g do it :o :o