Questions for the long distance Cubbers !

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
Don Steve
Rides:: Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport, BMW F800 S, BMW F650 CS, Gas Gas 400, Honda C90 Cub.

Re: Questions for the long distance Cubbers !

Post by Don Steve » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:27 am

Top tip for all long distance multi day travellers, use Marino wool (Smart wool etc) tee shirts and socks. They're good insulators, so will keep you warm or cool, they wick away sweat, so will keep you feeling dry and comfortable, and perhaps most importantly, they don't smell, so you can wear them for several days without offending others. Polyester does most of the above but they will start to pong a bit pretty quickly, however if you have access to washing facilities they will usually dry overnight.

Yogi
Rides:: Honda C90T

Post by Yogi » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:35 pm

Hello everyone!
I am relatively new to riding, I have passed a CBT (twice) and have done 5,000 miles in 2 years. I am planning a solo trip from Westerham in Kent to Scotland sometime next week.
I have followed the advice on this forum and had a windscreen fitted. I love it! It makes riding so much nicer!
I am having a 'check ride' with an istructor on a dual carriageway, too.

I have been shopping for my trip and read the 'list of spares' on here.
Can anyone enlighten me, please, on the subject of inner tubes? I found some on ebay but, are they really different for the front and rear wheels? Does this mean I have to take two tubes as spares? :?

I am afraid I cannot repair my bike yet :oops: , and I am unlikely to learn much before the end of next week. I have the RAC breakdown cover. Can the list be somehow modified in view of the above or do I have to buy all of it? Especially that I am running out of time...

I am planning to stay overnight in B&Bs, and not rush, and do roughly 120 miles a day. Camping in this weather is out of question, or should I take a tent just in case? I am taking 2 l of spare fuel in lambretta bottles, oil (10/40?) and chain lube. They had 'dry lube' at Halfords, is it any good? Cannot find a different lube in a small can and I am trying to travel light.

My list includes a mobile as a satnav, SENA bluetooth thingy to tell me which way to go, Zendure A5 power bank, first aid kit, my tablet, an atlas of Britain should all technology go on strike, an army stove, fuel cubes and a tiny hand pump.
I have a top box and two touring panniers, so not that much space. I suppose I can put something on the back seat, too.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions, additions to my list and any do's and don't's you can possibly think of.

Hope no floods there, the smallest dinghy I saw on ebay was 13kg! :shock: :lol:
Many thanks.

mark1982
Rides:: 1977 c90Z2 , cb 100. yam t80. yam rs100. cub wannabe red 1976 C90 Z2

Post by mark1982 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:22 pm

Most people buy motor cross inner tubes as thicker less chance punture but they use same size for both

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:33 pm

The tubes will be the same front and rear. Go to 40 psi in the back and 30 in the front. 120 miles is not far but you will have to refuel for it.
I have a pound land alarm clock velcroed to the bike above the speedo and protected by the screen I find that it gives me a bit more help in planning where I will be and how long it will take to get there.
I yo take a tent you will need something to sleep on and a sleeping bag lots of extra gear to carry. You can lube the chain with engine oil ,use a small artists brush and apply it to the top of the chain from the spring link and back, do this every day and check the oil at every fuel stop.

Yogi

Post by Yogi » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:37 pm

Thanks a lot for the tips Mark and Wightegi, very useful and you are saving me lots of hassle and cash, too, as I do not own any camping equipment. :)

stevew
Rides:: MaxSym 400i (2013) Wave110i (2014)

Post by stevew » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:56 pm

Hi yogi,

I'm near by in Orpington and have some bits and bobs here should you need to borrow stuff for the trip. It's a long way to Scotland but a worth while trip. We have done the Highlands and west or Ireland on Cubs, brilliant ;)
Welcome to have your pick of camping and Cub stuff and return it on your return.
Happy to have a look over the bike too if it helps.
PM me if any of the above appeals.

Here is me in Ireland, right up in the North West bit !!

Achill Island

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:26 pm

These in my opinion, are the very best innertubes you can possibly get for the Cub. Will fit front and back. Very thick and heavy, will prevent a lot of pinch flats.

They won't offer protection against flaking chrome though. No inner tube will.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Michelin-Heav ... 3f4347190e

Yogi

Post by Yogi » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:02 am

Thank you guys, you are great. Thanks for the link, Newt, will order them tom'w. I will be in touch, stevew, very nice of you, although I might forget camping till summer. :)

r80rob
Rides:: 73 c70 with c90 110, 72 MZ es250 and a r80!

Post by r80rob » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:38 pm

Haven't read the full thread but just in case someone hasn't said it yet , once your happy you have everything you need to set a day aside , pack the bike and do a proper test ride on similar roads and for a similar time , preferably in bad weather , your be surprised what it'll teach you about what is comfortable , what leaks and what you can do without.

Scotland is well worth the ride :mrgreen:

Antyamr6
Rides:: c90 zz, cm91, xt660z, xtz750, ts185, rs125,

Post by Antyamr6 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:15 pm

Hi just my 2pence worth we did close to 2k miles spain Andorra France on 5 cubs with one puncture and one electrical fault on a 1979 6v,
Best day 260 ish miles
Worst 110 after too much cheese and wine !!
Biggest problem was fuel stops with 5 of us 3 smoke! Taking up valuable time!!
We took plugs stators, coils gaskit set tubes and repair patches,
If I do it again I'd take half the rubbish I took, tbh I wore the same t shirt for 2 weeks washing it when I could,
Oil change is a must in high temps we did a change half way through 900 mile ish after a 45deg heat day in France, the bikes went so much better and got us home!
Just go for it and have fun it's the best way to see the world