Riding Abroad Queries

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
digger06

Re: Riding Abroad Queries

Post by digger06 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:46 pm

[quote="waz"]I traveled regularly to Hungary and stand corrected on Austria, you need a vignette, car was €7.50 for a 10 day but did not see any bikes with one.[/quote]
cos they usually carry them in their pocket

steveindenmark
Rides:: Moto Guzzi 1100i, Moto Guzzi Cardellino 65cc, Yamaha XT 250 Serow

Post by steveindenmark » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:09 am

When you ask this type of question you need to explain a few things before we all go off searching for answers.

What country

How old are you

Engine size

HP

Maximum speeds according to the manufacturer.

The reason you need those things is because even though we are all in the EU, each country have different criteria as to how they work out what you can ride. Denmark uses all of the above.

It is a very Grey area and it would be nice to get it sorted so we all know. But if you ask official bodies they will say No. Even if they have no idea what they are saying no to.

The best people to ask are the policemen in the countries concerned. The law books may say one thing but it may be such a pain to police that the guys on the ground turn a blind eye.

So maybe if we have someone in France they could ask.

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:35 am

Hi Steve, Having been pulled by UK police for 'Illegally riding a 90cc bike on a motorway' trust me when I say the police, are the last that will know the intricacies of the motorcycle test requirements.

The best source of information are Motorcycle and scooter hire places. It's what they do, day in day out and they of all people need to know the licence requirements so they don't fall foul of the law.

Further, they need to understand licensing in other countries in order to deal with foreign clients.