Riding Abroad Queries

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
joecasson26
Rides:: Honda C90

Riding Abroad Queries

Post by joecasson26 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:01 pm

Hi!

I'm relatively new to biking...so please forgive any naivety! I've had a cub for 5 months or so now and you'll all be pleased to know I am thoroughly enjoying it (even through these winter months).

I love it so much that I am keen to do a trip abroad at some point in this year. My question is that I currently have only done a CBT to enable me to ride so far, I do intend to do a full bike test at some point. However, in lieu of saving for any abroad adventure I would be keen to avoid having to invest in a full licence before I go - if this is even possible. I have a full UK driving licence and have done so for 7 years.

There is a lot of conflicting information on-line from various sources, with the direct.gov information being incredibly vague whether you can leave the country with just a CBT certificate. If anyone can shed some light on the situation that would be great. I am hoping it is a case of letting the insurers know what you are doing and where you intend to go and for how long etc. and that once you leave the UK you are subject to the laws and whatever country you are riding in.

Thanks in advance. :D

digger06

Re: Riding Abroad Queries

Post by digger06 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:23 pm

yes its an odd one this,
some definitive answers with references backing it up
would be good....

steveindenmark
Rides:: Moto Guzzi 1100i, Moto Guzzi Cardellino 65cc, Yamaha XT 250 Serow

Post by steveindenmark » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:39 pm

There may be something of use in this link.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/france-7 ... rt-572684/

Leiba
Rides:: Red C90.

Post by Leiba » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:46 pm

I think you need a full licence for the vehicle you intend to drive. So you could drive a car but not your bike.

Jon

Post by Jon » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:35 pm

We had quite a go at this topic a while ago. It seems in many European countries, including all the biggies like France and Germany, one can ride up to a 125cc bike on a car license alone. there are slight variations on the theme, a couple of countries have restrictions depending on lenfth of time the car license has been held, and so on...This is from Wikipedia....It seems to agree with what we found.

'...Basically, If you hold a driving licence for 'B' (a car) you can ride up to 125cc (under 15kw)

However, in the following countries with there are amendments as outlined below.

Czech Republic (only motorcycles with automatic transmission),
Italy, Latvia, Slovakia (after two years and only motorcycles with automatic transmission),
Spain (after three years),
Poland (after three years),
Portugal (at least 25 years old or additional licence for mopeds)
and Belgium (only with a Belgian Driving Licence, after two years)

....are allowed to drive motorcycles not exceeding 125cc within the respective countries.

In Austria (after five years, training of 6 hours),
France (training of 7 hours),
Luxembourg (after two years, training of 7 hours)
.................and the United Kingdom (Compulsory Basic Training), a practical training without exam is needed for B licence holders.

Everywhere else in Europe the holder of a European car license can ride a 125 not exceeding 15kw.....

But do your own research because you don't want to get it wrong!!!

joecasson26

Post by joecasson26 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:36 am

Thank you very much for your responses!! Some light has definitely been shed on the situation.

I'll look into this in detail and if something like this can be done I will make sure to post any findings that may help someone in the future!

Cheers!

Diesel Dave
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left

Post by Diesel Dave » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:18 am

Be aware that you may not get fair treatment should anything happen...

Ask any UK truck driver about French police targeting foreign trucks to boost income.

I've been chased/caught and almost brought to bankruptcy in almost all out close neighbours countries; some 'pulls' were completely justified of course. Others were just a chance to get some income.

A well known diesel biker had his machine confiscated and crushed in Spain, despite it being perfectly legal in his home country of Sweden.

If you do ask any 'authority' for an opinion, the answer will always be either 'No' as this is the easiest, or 'it's not something we can advise on'; which is what I got back from the AA.

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:29 pm

I gave this a LOT of energy some time ago.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=20155&p=192188

joecasson26

Post by joecasson26 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:48 pm

Newtsalad wrote:I gave this a LOT of energy some time ago.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=20155&p=192188
Many thanks Newtsalad, a very comprehensive answer. Legend.

If I end up going anywhere and end up (legally) halfway around the world with just a CBT I will be sure to let you know!

George
Rides:: '15 NBC110XD; '02 C90MT; '00 C90T; '99 C90CMX; '98 C90CWV; '96 C90T; KTM 990 Adv

Post by George » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:31 pm

Another perfect example where we can see how poorly organised is the European Union... They should accept each country's legislation or make a common one (which might not be the best option). :cry:

PS: Don't go to Romania just with the CBT. They want to see AM, A1, A2 or A (depending on what you ride, in your case A1) written on your driver's licence.