The North Cape

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
CeeGee
Rides:: BMW R80 Airhead, 1987 HondaC90, 1981 Suzuki GSX1100 & Occasional Sheep

Re: The North Cape

Post by CeeGee » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:17 am

Absolutely loving this write up Popeye! Makes me want to do it all the more!

Looks like Mission:Implausible 2 may be on for next year (bit late for this year, as I want to ensure my fundraising is done properly this time round- despite my success on the last one, I'm sure I can better it with the knowledge I've gained in terms of my organisational skills!).

Keep it coming! :)

Boo
Rides:: Elephant Grey 1967 CM90 based 'bitsa'.

Post by Boo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:33 am

Great reading Popeye.. it gets better and better! The reindeer was a shock!! :o (but not as much as it must have been for David of course - glad he was ok!)

Pjam
SPAMMER!
Rides:: C90, C70c, CB500, ANF125, A100 Bitsa

Post by Pjam » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:24 pm

+1.......... For me it's been a magical wonderland but the deer made it all very real somehow!

Leiba
Rides:: Red C90.

Post by Leiba » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:40 pm

I'm sure I've seen pictures of the reindeer incident before?

Popeye
Rides:: Honda supercub 90. BMW R100cs/Monaco, MZ ETZ250

Post by Popeye » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:24 pm

Trondheim was reached without to much effort. We arranged to collect a small parcel at the post office. A English guy now living in Bergen posted a helpful book for us containing names and addresses of Bikers in Norway that could help us if we had any sort of problem. He saw an article about our trip in a BMF magazine and out of the blue telephoned David and offered any assistance should we need it.

Trondheim.

The campsite here at Malvik was the biggest and worse we had stayed on. In the very small kitchen there was no table or even a chair to sit on. We can also verify that major express trains pass every 20 minutes. We were soon on the road to Alesund.

The ship you can see in the distance is one of the Fjord cruise ships. We encountered it later as we rode through the Fjords.

A selection of Fjord views.

At Hellesylt we met an English couple that we had seen a few days earlier. They treated us to sausage and chips and a brew which we ate whilst enjoying the comfort of their campervan.

English campervan.

The following are pics taken throughout our run south.

Although it doesn't look it, most of our run south was in the rain.

This small site is at Vaesenden near Forde. We voted this to be the best campsite of our trip. I also stayed here in 2008 and again it was voted the best site of an extended 5 month tour of Europe but that's another story.

A Norwegian saying. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Popeye

Post by Popeye » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:51 am

Woke up to another crappy day. The Norwegians say that it will be sunshine tomorrow but as we all know, tomorrow never comes. We continues south through Forde, Dale, Holtenbru, Lavik, (Sognefjorden), Hoyanger, Balestrand to the ferry at Draksvik. Crossed over to Vagenes and camped to find yet again no proper kitchen. I think we had been spoiled in the first part of the trip and began to expect the same everywhere. That was a mistake on my part. Normally I take everything as it comes and live day to day.

Bad weather but still glorious scenery.

The run over to Voss was the nearest to winter weather we had seen. Not sure of the altitude but it went very cold.

The bus stops made very good shelters to get out of the rain.

Bergen. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Popeye

Post by Popeye » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:26 am

Bergen.

We eventually arrived at Bergen. Nothing out of the ordinary on this last return leg. The bikes ran as good as ever. I would take a Cub anywhere. We met the English guy living in Bergen and he took us to the Bike club based right by the waters edge opposite the ferry terminal. We had a few days to relax and unwind and see some of the sights. only the free ones mind. We had by now run out of money. The bike Club was an eye opener. Inside were many English bikes in various states of renovation and a very big lounge. We had only just met but they gave us a key and made us feel very welcome. Two nights and no tent to put up. It felt a little strange.

Views of Bergen.

Our Ferry home. Sadly not in use anymore.

Homeward bound. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Popeye

Post by Popeye » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:35 pm

OK Time to go home.

We boarded the ferry and sailed off into the sun, or so we hoped. I'm not a very good sailor and always take some kind of sea sickness tablets. David saw me taking them and said maybe he should take something as the weather forecast for the crossing was not so good. So he did, he managed dinner and then that was the last I saw of him until the cleaning crews turfed him out of our cabin the next morning. He missed the ships entertainment, the beer, the breakfast, everything.
The ship was late docking, probably due to my driving. We told the ships Captain that we were on a little run for charity and could we see the bridge. Fascinating.

The ships captain asked me if I knew were I was going and could I manage. I told him "After 24 days on a C90, this is a doddle". :lol: :lol: :lol:

The weather was rough and we docked 4 hours late. We had a rendezvous in the dales with some friends at Kettlewell and yes , they waited for us. Unfortunately many had also waited in Barnoldswick for our return but sadly some, including the band, couldn't wait. It was almost dark when we rode into the town square. A big cheer from those who stayed, a dousing of Champers, and the local press asked, " Are you going to take a few days off to recover?" my reply was "Not likely we're back at work int mornin.

We travelled almost 4500 miles, we filled up 44 times and we raised almost £4500 for Childline. Apart from the spoke problem the bikes were faultless.

The following pictures are just a few highlights of the trip.

Vardo Fort.

Finland Arctic circle.

Very peaceful and relaxing at 11pm.

That's all folks.

Leiba
Rides:: Red C90.

Post by Leiba » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:42 pm

BRILLIANT! I've enjoyed every instalment of this tale of your travels. Congratulations and well done. :D

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:08 pm

Fabulous, fired me up, I want to do this trip, albeit substantially longer now the ferry is no more.
What a wonderful thing to have done, and how lovely that you took photo's and documented it so well. I hope it will be inspiration for many to get out and do it. Thanks!