C90 trip from Denmark to Vladivostok (and back) 2024

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
boofbee
Rides:: 84 C90E, 90 C90G

Re: C90 trip from Denmark to Vladivostok (and back) 2024

Post by boofbee » Thu May 23, 2024 1:27 pm

Agree with the others bearings should not be whacked in with a hammer. If they are a correct fit they only need tapping into place. They definitely need replacing as they will overheat and seize fairly quickly so I would get them swapped asap. Unfortunately cheap bearings can do exactly the same thing even if correctly fitted so I would check them every day before setting off.

Gavepapir
Rides:: C90

Post by Gavepapir » Wed May 29, 2024 6:35 am

update!

Phew, alright, i made it guys, to the end of the 2nd act.
Kazakhstan man... it is just too huge to fathom. I reached the new, shining and very strange, somehow alienating capital of Astana way to the north. It took me around 6 days. I like the city, even for all its pretentiousness.. there is a lot of rustle.
But i couldnt stay ofcourse. I wanted to go to Aktobe in the west. A city close to the russian border. But man... what a drive. I turned icingly cold once i drove north out of Astana. Temperatures just around freezing, and my tent was soaked with.. how do you call it.. like moisture because of temperature differences.. the daytime reached around 5-10 celcius. But there were birch forests suddenly, and small mountains. A welcome changr to the arrid landscapes to the south. As i made my way west, i entered into the real meaning of deserted.
Everytime i left a town or a gas station, it felt like setting out on the ocean. There could be stretches of literally 150 km without anything. Just grass, sometimes wild horses, and sometimes fields that stretched to end end of vision.
Ofcourse my engine started losing power in the middle of this.. i suspected the spark plug, and then realised that that was the one thing i had forgotten to stock up with in Astana.. luckily there was 40 km to the nearest village (could be way worse), and somehow i could keep the engine running in 2nd gear. There was a gas station, and i showed a random man there my problem. He made a call and said, "my son... wait for you.. supermarket". So i crawled along to the village, now in 1st gear, and wondered if i would find this magical son.
I drove around for a bit and found the supermarket. Nobody there.
Waited around and after 15 minutes, 2 young boys showed up, around 14 years i reckon, and handed me a used spark plug. It didnt work. Then they spent an hour running around for me, and in the end, i dunno how, they had conjured a working plug. I gave them 5000 tenge even though they tried hard to refuse (10 dollars), and set forth happy as ever. It was late afternoon, engine started to die again after 50 km, and i pitched my tent in a beautiful, lonely place in a bad mood.
But woke up happy the next day, strangely, and when we drove off, i told my Honda that we shouls expect problems today, but that we would overcome them somehow.
So after another 30 kms i could barely drive again, but i saw a blue roofed house, and a very slavic looking man stepped up to help a traveller. Aftet walking a lot back and forth, he pulled out a brand new spark plug with the number 7 on it, and it worked like a charm.
I was so happy, even if it was cold driving. After a few more days driving through this ocean of grass, i made it after 2000 km from Astana to Aktobe, where i first thing bought some new bearings and got a mechanic to change them.. in my opinion he was quite rough, doing it on the ground, banging with a hammer.. but in the end they were fitted, turned smoothly, and i felt relieved to have another worry put to rest for a while.

Now i am in an apartment through couchsurfing, enjoying running water, wifi, and hopefully i can wash clothes later. In a week starts act 3, russia, and i cant wait actually... i am too excited. I dunno why.. looking forward to more civilization. To regular supermarkets, gas stations, forests.
signal-2024-05-15-16-31-41-966.jpg
Oh.. and i bought 2 new spark plugs. Never again will i not carry a spare!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

125erCrazy
Rides:: C125 Super Cub/Address 110

Post by 125erCrazy » Wed May 29, 2024 9:40 am

Hardcore 8-)

Godspeed
Rides:: Anf125, C90G, PCX125

Post by Godspeed » Wed May 29, 2024 11:52 am

Amazing adventure, thanks for keeping us updated 👍

Bogger
Maintenance Stasi
Rides:: 3 x C90,BMW R1200st, BMW R80RT, Honda Mode , Super Cub C125A, Yamaha Majesty 250

Post by Bogger » Wed May 29, 2024 4:46 pm

Fair play mate.

Bogger

Gavepapir

Post by Gavepapir » Sun Jun 02, 2024 4:50 am

Small question. As described in my last update i replaced the spark plug. Drove about 200 kms fine. Left the honda for a few days, came back and it was hard to start even with choke on. Got it started, drove 30 km, running fine. Stopped and checked the plug just out of curiosity. It was completely sooted. After i put it back, engine was running so poorly.
I replaced plug, warmed the engine, adjusted carb per instructions on forum, drove for 20 minutes, and the new plug actually seemed a bit too sooted already.

The needle is already 1 notch down (meaning that little lock is 1 up from the middle slit), using 85 main jet, and spark plugs has looked great for 10000 kms. What has happened, where can i go from here?
Cant post a picture of the plug sorry. File too large.

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:36 am

Could be high altitude , how high are you now. The higher you go the less oxygen there is so rich running.

Gavepapir

Post by Gavepapir » Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:28 am

wightegi wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:36 am
Could be high altitude , how high are you now. The higher you go the less oxygen there is so rich running.
I just checked. Only 219 meters. I have been around 2000-3000 meters without problems.

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:54 am

Ok is the air filter in good condition?

Gavepapir

Post by Gavepapir » Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:45 pm

wightegi wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:54 am
Ok is the air filter in good condition?
I just took it out, and in my opinion it looks absolutely new. Its this pink ish cardbord type filter. No places are clogged or similar.