C90 trip from Denmark to Vladivostok (and back) 2024

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
JOHNBOY
Rides:: HONDA SUZUKI

Re: C90 trip from Denmark to Vladivostok (and back) 2024

Post by JOHNBOY » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:33 pm

sounds like you are having a good time

knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Post by knapdog » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:40 am

Gavepapir wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:54 pm

I am unsure about how to handle the oil filter.. i have driven now around 4000 km. Should i clean it? Is it easy enough for myself to clean with simple tools?
There is no oil filter of the type you see on cars and lots of motorcycles.
The "oil filter" on a Cub is just a piece of wire gauze which will collect the odd bit of muck.
You will need to remove the right hand side engine cover and clean it with petrol.
It's a long time since I did mine but it was easy as I had the engine on its side on the bench.
I'm pretty sure that if you attend to it on the bike you'll need to remove the exhaust and expect to lose some oil as well.
Personally I'd wait till you get home. If it's never ever been done then obviously it will need doing.
So your choices are either wait, do it yourself or take it to a garage. It's not a lengthy job but really to do the thing properly you should be cleaning the centrifugal clutch cavity as well and you often need an impact driver to remove the four bolts on the casing.
You also need to think ilof having a spare crankcase cover gasket ready as the chances are you'll damage the existing one when removing the right hand side cover.

Gavepapir
Rides:: C90

Post by Gavepapir » Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:56 pm

knapdog wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:40 am
There is no oil filter of the type you see on cars and lots of motorcycles.
The "oil filter" on a Cub is just a piece of wire gauze which will collect the odd bit of muck.
You will need to remove the right hand side engine cover and clean it with petrol.
It's a long time since I did mine but it was easy as I had the engine on its side on the bench.
I'm pretty sure that if you attend to it on the bike you'll need to remove the exhaust and expect to lose some oil as well.
Personally I'd wait till you get home. If it's never ever been done then obviously it will need doing.
I see. Thanks for the advice. I think i will leave it for now at least. I dont have spare gasket or the like, and explaininh things to people here in iran is practically impossible.

Gavepapir

Post by Gavepapir » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:51 pm

update!

Aaaalright, Iran has been hardcore and beautiful. Its my second time here, and people are once again proving to be the kindest (to tourists) people in the world.. been driving through the mountains east to the caspian sea. Easy driving, but cold suddenly. Tagging along the south coast of caspian sea through hectic seaside villages.. lots of traffic, getting headaches after some hours.. rice fields and trash and 1 million motorcycle mechanics.
Left the coast after 4 days and came to the mountains.. huuge beautiful valleys and signs along the roads warning of leopards, wild boars and brown bears... shepherds with their flocks, and rain every day. So hardcore for my body, but beauitful. Had to shed some tears yesterday at this epic spectacle.
Driving well.. engine has started making a strange noise, but the weird part is that it only begins after a while driving. First half our or so is normal.. then a kind of fine rattle sets in. Like a few fine needles tumbling about insidr the engine.. it comes and goes.
Besides that all well.. have no clue what octane the gasoline is here.. gave up trying to explain anything to iranians, haha. At least most of them. Presently in second biggest city, Mashhad.. something holy or whatever and tomorrow i make way to the border of turkmenistan. When the rain stops and i see the sun, i will sing to whatever god wants to listen!

Devon general andy
Rides:: SH300 (2016),'88 C90MG,'94 & '95 C90P, '98 C90T & other 12v sq h.lt models.

Post by Devon general andy » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:51 pm

Glad to hear you and the your Cub are still going strong. Sounds like a wonderful experience.
Your strange noise.... If the petrol is really poor quality, diluted with something or really low octane number...... could be what we used to call 'pinking'.
Used to get it a lot if you used 2* instead of 4* (2 / 4 star).
Anyway, look after yourself, keep safe,
All the best, Andy.

Gavepapir

Post by Gavepapir » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:41 am

update!

Drove towards the turkmenistan border, through the dry cliffs of eastern iran. Had heard stories of people being refused to take their vehicle out of the country, but with some delay i drove into turkmenistan.. they milked me for money at the border, but at least i was onwards.
Turkmenistan is a weird place.. a comical dictatorship where all the money is being used to build marble buildings in the 2 big cities, and the main road between them is in a absolutely terrifying state. I drove 270 km on the worst roads, like nightmares of the moon, followed by my mandatory guide in a dusty mazda. Not breaking anything or punctering was truly a miracle. Drove past camels in the arrid desert landscape, few tumbleweeds crossing the road.
Made it to uzbekistab which seemed like a liberal paradise compared to turkmenistan. Got my torn pannier bags fixed by a friendly cobbler (is that the word for shoe maker?) and drove towards Samarqand. Saw some turist sights, but didnt enjoy them much.. i dont like the way these things impose themselves on you. I rather like the roads, gas stations and small houses of people i meet. So i drove onwards, getting invited in everywhere i go. Ate lunch with a bunch of petrol station workers, and slept in a rusty wagon used by farmers.
Was a bit worried about tajikistan, but was put to shame quickly. 5 km over the border i was refused to pay for the gas i had taken, and the gas station owner invited me to stay in his small mansion. That was the story of Tajikistan. People smiling and waving, inviting me to food and shelter. Tried to fix some broken spokes in Khujand, 2nd biggest city, and was invited into some biker circles. They sent me to a hotel, paid for everythinh and i took the worlds longest shower.

So due to rules in China, that you cannot drive around without a guide, i decided to turn north towards kazakhstan instead. That would lead me to kyrgyztan. Reenteted uzbekistan and went north to kyrgyztan.. it was beautiful, the roads were perfect and i finally found octane 95.
Crossed elyssian mountain scapes, saw turqoise lakes and snowy peaks. Soon i crossed a crazy peak, snow and ice completely covering the road. Trucks had gotten stuck, cars were skidding and turning back, but i kept going in 1 gear. Reached the peak, strong winds and impossible icy road. I touched the brake and fell immediately. 3170 meters a sign said, and i knew id reached the top. After an hour i could see small patches of asphalt through the snow and ice, and soon i could switch to 2nd gear. I made it slowly down the epic mountains, following a small stream that sooned turned big. Had a frustrating puncture, but got some help from bypassers.
The beauty of this country is astounding. Came to rolling hills and now i am in a hostel in Bishkek surrounded by tourists. Weird feeling.
Have to stay for more than a week before i drive north to kazakhstan, due to my russian visas beginning date.
Close to blissfull, certainly happy.
Jakob

By the way, i have almost stopped paying attention to new sounds of the c90. I worry, drive to mechanics who can find nothing wrong, and the next day it starts perfectly at the first kick. A problem may come, but then ill have to find a way ti fix it.

Gavepapir

Post by Gavepapir » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:48 am

Tried to attach a picture. Maybe it worked?

125erCrazy
Rides:: C125 Super Cub/Address 110

Post by 125erCrazy » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:10 am

Thank you for the update Jakob. Your trip is inspiring & please continue to post.

PS no picture

Gavepapir

Post by Gavepapir » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:12 am

A picture from 3200 meters
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gavepapir

Post by Gavepapir » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:13 am

Another place
signal-2024-04-27-14-08-13-119.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.