Front indicator mount for a G

RE-OPENED :)
Skeeter
Rides:: 1991 C90-G, pedelec

Front indicator mount for a G

Post by Skeeter » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:45 am

Today I found the time to attempt fitting the Rickman fairing. But it didn't effing fit. So I spent a bit of time double-checking frame numbers etc, which left me with the the same conclusion as before, that my cub is a G. Then I spent a bit of time looking for pics of cubs with a fairing fitted and compared the fairing to mine. Sure enough, I see the difference between the earlier model and the G, so I know that the fairing is the one I requested. Went back to the bike and then I realised that the front left indicator is out of line. The bracket is slightly different, perhaps from the later model, and this is why the fairing doesn't bloody fit. It is not a part Wemoto supply.

Anyone have a spare bracket just lying about (or even in your back pocket)? I suspect it might be a mission to find one. Help!

bikerbaker
Rides:: 1990 C90, 2016 Kayak 110, Riders Cub, 2xSV650, BMW F800GT, Buell XB12R CT90/110

Re: Front indicator mount for a G

Post by bikerbaker » Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:39 pm

Very strange as the part numbers don't seem to have changed for the later models.

Hopefully someone on here will have some hanging about as so many 12v bikes have been Custom Cubbed.

If you do FB then the Group Buy and Sell page may bear fruit, I've bought lots of bits in the past from there, I did have a pair but think I may have passed them on. If they turn up in the shed I'll let you know.

Skeeter

Post by Skeeter » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:04 pm

Thanks Bikerbaker, I haven't ruled out the dread possibility that what's out of shape is what it's attached to...must have a closer look later...checking with csmnl as I type...Honda have discontinued it (unsurprised).

In the old days one of Honda's promises was that they would supply any part for any machine that left the factory...I guess those days are gonski. :(

Devon general andy
Rides:: SH300 (2016),'88 C90MG,'94 & '95 C90P, '98 C90T & other 12v sq h.lt models.

Post by Devon general andy » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:20 am

I think the deal is 20 years?????
So we've passed that anniversary by about a year! So it'll be NOS parts left in dealers / warehouses or S/H and refurbish.

Devon general andy
Rides:: SH300 (2016),'88 C90MG,'94 & '95 C90P, '98 C90T & other 12v sq h.lt models.

Post by Devon general andy » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:37 am

I've just had a look on the dreaded 'fleabay' and there's quite a few. Remember they're 'handed' so you'll need the correct left or right fitting.

damien.wrl
Rides:: 1989 C90mg ..1976 Kz1000

Post by damien.wrl » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:36 pm

Think this is the sort of bracket you need there are two types on the 12v one shoves the indicator further out from the headlight .. yours might just need straightening? I can message you some pics of my 90g if you need them..
https://www.mototrade.gr/en/oem-parts/6 ... set-detail

Skeeter

Post by Skeeter » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:21 am

Thanks for the replies.

Damien: good offer but I got a good pic from the link you supplied, thanks.

Given the pressed-steel nature of the bracket I fear you'd have to work hard at bending it...thus at the moment I suspect something else is out of whack.

A bit later today I'll investigate further.

Devon general andy

Post by Devon general andy » Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:42 am

Hi Skeeter, I think yours is a 1991 c90 Cub, isn't it? Is it on a 'H' reg or similar?
I've had a look at those pictures that Damien put on the link on and they look correct for the 'G' 'P' & 'T'. So unless your Cub has had some serious 'doctoring' they should fit. Obviously I don't know the quality of those particular units but the pictures are correct for your age of Cub.
I don't know if you have the correct later black plastic indicator units? Those bracket screws are prone to corrosion so a squirt of WD40 or similar to loosen and a smear or copper grease when refitting.
Cheers Andy.

Skeeter

Post by Skeeter » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:47 pm

Hi Devon general andy, yes its a G on a H registration. Yes, black indicators.

I have investigated further and found that both the bracket and the metal tab it fixes to were / are out of shape. Also, the indicator is fitted with a non-genuine lens and there's a small chunk missing out of the indicator body itself (can't really see it until you take it off). So the obvious conclusion is that at some point it's had a bit of a clump and that the blow came from underneath. I can't see any other signs of damage so if it was a big spill then all other signs of damage have been repaired.

The metal tab it fixes to was easily moved back to a more suitable position, but the part of the bracket (with the welded nuts) which is welded to the main part is less easily re-shaped so I still want a replacement. It's available new from Honda at about £12.00. But if anybody has a spare...

I am now also covetous of a new indicator body as well!

The good news is that my work with a vice-grip moved it sufficiently to allow the fairing to fit, although it deffo won't sit properly until that bracket is replaced.

Thanks to everybody for help and advice. What a nice bunch you all are. :)