Wanted - engine for C90 (T) 1996

RE-OPENED :)
mrpat
Rides:: C90

Wanted - engine for C90 (T) 1996

Post by mrpat » Sun May 31, 2020 10:12 am

Hi there. This is my first posting to this forum although I've been a member for a bit. I bought my cub 10 years ago to commute to work following the financial crash of 2008 and it has quite literally been worth its weight in gold. I bought it off a guy in Peterborough who, I think, 'did up' cubs for a hobby. How I remember that day long ago when I travelled up from SW London to collect it and the 90 mile 4 hour ride back on A roads etc! I think I was hooked at that point! Anyway, spin forward 10 years and 25k miles and I've taken it to the menders as I'm going though quite a lot of oil as it's leaking a bit. I thought I would give it a 'birthday' too and help out my local garage with some work at this time (coronavirus). So, I knew the gear selector spindle was bent (but the resulting twisted position of the foot gear selector is better for my arthritic knee (!), but the mechanics say they can't fully split the engine (due to the bent spindle) so could heat it up to assist but it may break and cost me more etc. They have already started a list of parts I may need......Anyway, the mechanics pointed out a C90 engine on sale on eBay with a starting price of £80 and said why don't I just swap the engine rather than them opening mine up and spending lots of money on parts and labour. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133420293023?ul_noapp=true I had a look at it and it looks OK to me, but then again I know nothing about mechanics - my limit is adjusting the chain and replacing the brake shoes. The engine (on EBay) has a serial number 'C90E - 233453'. I have e-mailed the seller to ask if he/she knows if it will fit my (T) and/or what the frame number of the bike is, so I can get an idea of the model. They have said they don't know as they are selling the engine for their grandad. Any advice or thoughts would be gratefully received, i.e. Will the above engine fit my cub? How interchangeable are engines between models - there must be some design differences in some years which would mean all earlier ones wouldn't fit? Is £80 a reasonable price for an engine? Anyone, got an engine for sale? :lol:

bikerbaker
Rides:: 1990 C90, 2016 Kayak 110, Riders Cub, 2xSV650, BMW F800GT, Buell XB12R CT90/110

Re: Wanted - engine for C90 (T) 1996

Post by bikerbaker » Sun May 31, 2020 11:01 am

A belated welcome!

Many on here would advocate a Lifan 110 upgrade, something I've not done but am considering for my C90E. Likely to cost you less than having your existing motor rebuilt and with the extra gear as a bonus. Original Honda engines are now fetching far more than £80 for a good one nowadays, not sure if it's the correct one though.

If you want to keep it standard then pretty sure Alan on here could rebuild your existing lump, he comes highly recommended. Hopefully he will read this and advise.

Re the arthritic knee and gear lever, the Chinese levers with the round rubber part at the front would be easy to extend, fitted them to mine recently.

I had a bike accident in 1967 and broke my right femur, subsequently my right foot has turned outwards slightly so I've been bending/extending brake levers. Another spill in 2018 trashed my tib/fib and ankle, still recuperating but weirdly my foot appears to be straight now! :lol:

steveST100
Rides:: 1983 C50LAC 1976 ST100 1980 ST70

Post by steveST100 » Sun May 31, 2020 11:57 am

That engine on ebay wont fit your bike as its a 6v c90 and has different engine mounts to yours.

steve g

Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Post by Capitano » Sun May 31, 2020 12:44 pm

Get it back from the "menders," get the engine to Alan CF on here and pay what he asks.

If Alan says it's f***ed then it's f***ed, so buy a replacement motor then.

That's my advice, anyway. ;)

culfy
Rides:: several honda c90's c70 and c50, lambretta li special puch and a honda cbf

Post by culfy » Sun May 31, 2020 2:55 pm

As Capitano says get it back , if your mechanic pointed that engine out to you I wouldn’t have much faith , a bit brutal but honest , get it back and get it to Alan, He’s just done one for me and it’s lovely ,cheers Ian .

mrpat

Post by mrpat » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:18 pm

bikerbaker wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 11:01 am
A belated welcome!

Many on here would advocate a Lifan 110 upgrade, something I've not done but am considering for my C90E. Likely to cost you less than having your existing motor rebuilt and with the extra gear as a bonus. Original Honda engines are now fetching far more than £80 for a good one nowadays, not sure if it's the correct one though.

If you want to keep it standard then pretty sure Alan on here could rebuild your existing lump, he comes highly recommended. Hopefully he will read this and advise.

Re the arthritic knee and gear lever, the Chinese levers with the round rubber part at the front would be easy to extend, fitted them to mine recently.

I had a bike accident in 1967 and broke my right femur, subsequently my right foot has turned outwards slightly so I've been bending/extending brake levers. Another spill in 2018 trashed my tib/fib and ankle, still recuperating but weirdly my foot appears to be straight now! :lol:
Thanks bikerbaker

Not heard of the Lifan 1100 - possible fix if mine is f***ed!

Where is 'Alan' based? I am Kingston-upon-Thames

The arthrtitis issue for me is I can't push my heel down at the back so tend to just tap the gear selector front and back with my toe!

mrpat

Post by mrpat » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:19 pm

steveST100 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 11:57 am
That engine on ebay wont fit your bike as its a 6v c90 and has different engine mounts to yours.

steve g
Thanks Steve G

Exactly the response I was looking for.

Will not waste my cash and time on this

Thanks

mrpat

Post by mrpat » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:21 pm

Capitano wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 12:44 pm
Get it back from the "menders," get the engine to Alan CF on here and pay what he asks.

If Alan says it's f***ed then it's f***ed, so buy a replacement motor then.

That's my advice, anyway. ;)
Yep

I think that's what I will do.

I have been working from home since the start of the lockdown and that looks set to continue - so no urgency to have my commuter up and running at the mo.

Could someone point me in Alan's direction?

Thanks

mrpat

Post by mrpat » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:23 pm

culfy wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 2:55 pm
As Capitano says get it back , if your mechanic pointed that engine out to you I wouldn’t have much faith , a bit brutal but honest , get it back and get it to Alan, He’s just done one for me and it’s lovely ,cheers Ian .
The garage have been pretty good to me over the years hence I wanted to give them some extra business now.

There was one time though when they tried to charge me for a tyre they replaced which I provided to them! :shock: