side car

RE-OPENED :)
Tranberg
Rides:: Anf125i

Re: side car

Post by Tranberg » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:45 pm

It's a royal pain in the butt to haul a side car along.

I took lessons for my side car license on an Earles fork BMW owned by an enthusiastic driving instructor. It's about as good as it gets, if you stick to normal motorcycles with added side car, as opposed to dedicated rigs like EML from Holland.

Turning to the opposite side of the side car takes lots of strength, but at least it's not clear and imminent danger.
Turning to the same side as the side car sends the side car's wheel into the air, if the side car is not heavily loaded.

Accelerating makes you turn towards the side car, braking vice versa.

It's only for the novelty effect, and that wears out quickly.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt and wore it out.

My Guzzi T3 with Czech Velorex side car wasn't much worse than the BMW I learned on.

Don't waste your time and money.

Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Post by Capitano » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:58 pm

Newtsalad wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:15 pm
Well, I bought it when I had a hankering for a Matchless CSR 650.

I bought the Harley instead. :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I sold it for £250, which I thought was what I paid for it along with a trip to Bristol!

A search of old emails revealed I'd actually paid £46. That eased it's passing somewhat. ;) :D
:lol:

I got it out of my system early, owning a Ural outfit.

My abiding memory is having to concentrate harder at 30 mph than I would at 100 mph on a solo!

I used to be able to get two guitars plus my guitar rig to gigs in it. Being in a band with feckless tw@ts meant that I was the only one with a driving licence, so it had to go in favour of a Sherpa Van when we started gigging further afield. 8-)

Leiba
Rides:: Red C90.

Post by Leiba » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:25 pm

Another problem with a combi is that most bikes are air cooled. Today, being a hot Easter Sunday, there'd be a lot of traffic on the road. If you got stuck in a traffic jam there was a very good liklelhood of the bike over heating.

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:53 pm

Leiba wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:25 pm
Another problem with a combi is that most bikes are air cooled. Today, being a hot Easter Sunday, there'd be a lot of traffic on the road. If you got stuck in a traffic jam there was a very good liklelhood of the bike over heating.
Very true. I got Stuck on the Boulevard Périphérique on a bank holiday on the Virago. Damn thing was near on fire.