Racks and screen

RE-OPENED :)
LewisDP
Rides:: I have a blue/white 1995 C90

Racks and screen

Post by LewisDP » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:52 pm

Hello.

I'm looking for a s/h front rack, rear rack and small(ish) windscreen for a C90. If anyone has one (or all) of these kicking around their garage at a reasonable price (including postage if you're nowhere near Cardiff) then please let me know. Many thanks. Lewis

bikerbaker
Rides:: 1990 C90, 2016 Kayak 110, Riders Cub, 2xSV650, BMW F800GT, Buell XB12R CT90/110

Re: Racks and screen

Post by bikerbaker » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:07 pm

Really depends on what year Cub you have or are looking for. Fitments can vary. :D

I only buy stuff, never sell it so I'm not much help. :lol:

Front racks have been homebuilt by some using a pushbike rear rack. The late Stevew had one that had small panniers on it that worked well. I have a Chinese one that broke under the strain of a wire basket and a loaf of bread so beware carrying anything heavy up front. Terry and Chris of the GHiPs both have expensive (Jap I think) front racks which look good.

Screens, you say small. At the risk of setting Mr Bogger off there is a "Universal" screen on eBay for less than a tenner. Not fitted mine yet, the screen is very thin and flexes according to Capitano who has trial fitted one to his C90. It should be very easy to cut the screen down which to my mind might make it flex less. Or maybe get an offcut of Perspex and use the flexy as a template, I've done this before for my Rickman screen, easy. Rickman screens seem to be everyones favourite but are model specific, new ones come up now and again on eBay, David Silvers at the moment I think, so command quite a high price second hand.

Rear racks, I keep looking at a cheapo on Amazon/eBay that's £22 delivered which I've seen on a 12v Custom Cub and looks great value. The best rack for a 12v IMHO is the Rickman/Hondastyle version with the pannier hoops at the side. Mine is sitting in the kitchen and will be going back on the C90 soon.

Hope this helps a bit, good luck!

LewisDP

Post by LewisDP » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:10 pm

You've been a lot of help - thank you very much. Mine's a 1995. I hadn't thought about a bike rack on the front so will look into that. Sorry (I've only just joined) but what's the 'GHiPS' (Terry and Chris)? I had seen a screen on ebay but it looked massive! Cutting it down crossed my mind which I'm guessing I can just do with a hacksaw (nicely done of course - and some wet & dry to smooth off). I realize now that I've got to make sure the fittings are right for a 1995 - they're not all standard. And thanks too for the info on the rear rack. I'll do a bit of research/looking around with all of these now.

All good helpful stuff - thank you again. Much appreciated.

Lewis

bikerbaker
Rides:: 1990 C90, 2016 Kayak 110, Riders Cub, 2xSV650, BMW F800GT, Buell XB12R CT90/110

Post by bikerbaker » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:29 pm

GHiPs are the Gatwick Highway Patrol, Terry (onittino3 on here) and Chris have a smart pair of matching blue Cubs with all of the touring kit. Someone may come up with the pic that resulted in the title. :D

The Chinese cheapo screen should fit as the fittings are to the mirror mounts only, TBH you could cut it with a Stanley knife, it has plastic edging which could be shortened to fit. My personal preferences for cutting Perspex is a grit blade in a jigsaw, sold for cutting ceramics they have no teeth but amazingly grit on the sides. Leaves a nice clean edge.

Rickman screen from David Silvers, apparently in stock, this says 1986 but will fit your 1995 bike as it has front indicators on brackets.

https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/C90 ... rt_292475/

onittino3
Rides:: Honda C90, Honda Cb500x

Post by onittino3 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:07 pm

Guilty as Charged...

The touring racks we use are from Webike Japan and are good quality but cost over £100 by the time you pay customs etc, the rickman screens look the nuts so go with one of them if your budget allows.

Terry

bikerbaker

Post by bikerbaker » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:26 am

As Terry says, Rickmans are the best and smaller screens are easy to make. Mine was wrapped (badly by myself) in black vinyl at the time and I cut some spare screens to test. Ended up using full height as the bike is definitely quicker, strange but true. Not so nice in a strong crosswind though.
screenssmall.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Post by Capitano » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:00 am

bikerbaker wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:07 pm

Screens, you say small. At the risk of setting Mr Bogger off there is a "Universal" screen on eBay for less than a tenner. Not fitted mine yet, the screen is very thin and flexes according to Capitano who has trial fitted one to his C90. It should be very easy to cut the screen down which to my mind might make it flex less.
This was the £10 universal screen when I originally fitted it. Although it looks tall (which I like, actually) it is just the right height for me to look over it. It flexed quite a lot when fitted like this.

I have since re-mounted it with a bit more curvature, by angling the mirror mounts, and adjusting the screen mounting bars. It still flexes but a lot less, now.

I'm not convinced that it is cut symmetrically, either. I've put some lettering across it, about 2/3 up and tried to get it looking right. With the Cub on level ground, the bars level and the screen installed dead centre and bottom level, the lettering looks on the pi$$ when compared to the top of the screen. Installing it "level" according to the top of the screen puts it on the pi$$ compared to the rest of the bike. :lol:

There are no instructions with the screen at all, but fitting it is a doddle really. As Bikerbaker said, I fitted this for a low cost experiment. I'll probably leave it on, at least through Winter, even though I'm not the biggest fan of screens.

8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LewisDP

Post by LewisDP » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:42 am

Lots of excellent stuff - thank you all very much! Plenty for me to think about here and thanks for all the pics - they certainly make it easier to get an idea of what I want. I shall now digest it all and decide. Very helpful - thank you.

George
Rides:: '15 NBC110XD; '02 C90MT; '00 C90T; '99 C90CMX; '98 C90CWV; '96 C90T; KTM 990 Adv

Post by George » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:00 pm

I can get new Rickman Screens for any type of Cub. ;)

LewisDP

Post by LewisDP » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:16 pm

Thank you George. I now have to decide whether it's a full fairing (like the first two pics) or without like Capitano's pic. And I thought C90 ownership would be easy! I'll have a think. Very much appreciated. Lewis