C90 (Round headlight type) wanted

RE-OPENED :)
bikehunter10
Rides:: 1975 C90

C90 (Round headlight type) wanted

Post by bikehunter10 » Tue May 18, 2010 5:17 pm

Hi folks,

My name is Simon, I live in Southampton. I am looking for a C90. A sound one but nothing fancy because I'll be stripping it down and rebuilding it with a few modifications. My aim is to end up with a reliable, rust-proof machine for everyday use, all year round. I'll be using it with a carrier and top-box, and probably a screen.

I am looking for an older (pre-1983-ish) round headlight type, partly because I prefer the style and partly because I find the engine and transmission smoother than the later type. However, I do realise the earlier type has its weaknesses such as a rust-prone frame (which can be cured) and 6V electrics (which you learn to live with).

I used 50s, 70s and 90s during the 1980s and I know them inside out (better the devil you know!) and having had several much larger bikes and other vehicles, I feel like 'coming home'. I think the cubs are brilliant. I never had so much fun (cheap fun!) on a bike. And they are so practical. I gather they have sold over 50 million in various forms worldwide and I am not surprised.

I promise to give it a good home but it will be stripped and modified a little. Modifications will include: frame and forks and various other painted parts will be blasted, powder coated, undersealed and waxed where necessary. Various fasteners and small components will be replaced with stainless steel. Depending on their condition, the wheels might be rebuilt using stainless steel rims and spokes. The clutch and top end of the engine will be checked and overhauled if necessary. I don't expect to have to do any work on the gearbox, apart from replacing seals.

If you have an older C90 available in sound but not brilliant condition, please let me know. I doesn't have to be roadworthy but I do need documentation. I can collect from anywhere in the South of England. I would consider buying several 'wrecks' to turn into one good machine, provided they haven't already been picked clean.

Many Thanks!