Hi from cambridge / greece

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
Danbloke
Rides:: K1200rs. K75.

Hi from cambridge / greece

Post by Danbloke » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:03 am

Always had bikes both big and small and have just sold my old but reliable k1200rs. Love touring/ camping/ buying old knackered push bikes off eBay and doing em up at a loss lol. Is this starting to sound like a dating agency add.

Anyway I've got myself a bit hooked on these beasts. I think they look really good in their own way. They appear bullet proof and possibly within my abilities to maintain. I'll do general stuff, breaks, lubs etc but a bit twitchy about engines and electrics - I'm hoping this is more do-able on these machines or at least it won't cost me ££££ if it breaks or I break it... thoughts please?

Misses thinks I'm odd cos I'm taking photos of/ stopping in my tracks to look at them. Currently on holiday in Greece and they are EVERYWHERE. A sure demonstration of their reliability. Saw a fisherman yesterday with a classically loaded up one - wish I got a pic.

Anyway I'm looking for a tatty old one that's got at least 10k in it to do up. Not that I'm short of projects or have the time. Any pointers much appreciated.

One question (or 2) - what sort of mileage will they do? Also which one? C80/c100. Im not after masses of speed but more than a 50 cc for sure.

Thanks to all
Dan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Danbloke

Re: Hi from cambridge / greece

Post by Danbloke » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:01 pm

A few more. Think ones a rouge though. Cool none the less.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PhilB
Rides:: C70zz, C90zz, S65, Tiger 955i

Post by PhilB » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:33 pm

Welcome Dan!
I'm just across the boarder, not too far from you!

I can't offer any technical advice, but there's lots here who can!
But I will say for sure.. I doubt you'll manage to break it!! :mrgreen:

BenB
The Byway Bad Boy!
Rides:: C90E gold, MSX125 and CRF1000 Africa Twin

Post by BenB » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:01 am

Hello Dan,
I'd suggest you get a 12v model. More reliable and easier for a first-timer. Parts are cheap and often still available from the local Honda dealer.
Buying one isn't difficult. Finding one withing a budget and/or that isn't over priced is more difficult.
Good luck and keep us posted!

Danbloke

Post by Danbloke » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:54 pm

Hi. So it seems there are a lot of models and like I said there were loads in Greece. I'll share the pictures later.

Is there a list of models/types? Be good to know what I'm talking about when searching.

I note there is a c50 c80 c90 and more. Are these just the engine size....? Is there something I am missing.

Also what year did they stop making them. Or are they still being made? What's the best year la la la.

Thanks so much to all for your help.
Dan.

knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Post by knapdog » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:28 pm

Just get yourself a 12v square headlight C90, within your budget and hopefully rust free.
There are millions of them.
None of them are perfect but there's nothing that can't be done to restore them to pristine condition if you have the time. They stopped making them around 15 yrs ago.
Good luck. You're bound to find one then start asking questions on this forum and you'll get all the help you'll ever need.
You are now a member of the finest motorcycle forum out there. And I'm deadly serious. I know these things.

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:33 pm

As Ben says 12 volt models are best so from about 1984 , 12 volt bikes have an enclosed fuel tank the 6 volt earlier ones have the tank bolted on to the frame.
They are still being made and at about 100 million to date. 8-) C50 ,C70 and C90 denote the engine size.

Danbloke

Post by Danbloke » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:07 pm

Thanks for the helpful replies.

And what sort of mileage. For example should I worry if looking at one with 20-30kon it?

Thanks all

PhilB
Rides:: C70zz, C90zz, S65, Tiger 955i

Post by PhilB » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:35 am

I personally wouldn't worry as they never really come with any sort of service history so you don't know what's what anyway!

BenB
The Byway Bad Boy!
Rides:: C90E gold, MSX125 and CRF1000 Africa Twin

Post by BenB » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:56 am

PhilB wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:35 am
I personally wouldn't worry as they never really come with any sort of service history so you don't know what's what anyway!
This is true. One that looks cared for will be a better bet than a low milage scabber. Listen to a couple so you know what is quiet and what's not. Have a good look for rot, particularly around the top rear suspension mounts and mudguard.