PCX 125 weak spots?

Anything else ya ride!
AE86
Rides:: Honda Dio 4T

PCX 125 weak spots?

Post by AE86 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:45 am

Hi all,

I'm looking to spring for a 2011 or 2012 PCX 125 (saw there were a few owners here), and I'm wondering about "weak" or troublesome spots on these, if there by any. Costs for repairs aren't the biggest concern, mostly reliability, so I don't mind dropping the coin to "make it right" so to speak.

Any input appreciated very much.

Cheers,
AE86

Diesel Dave
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left

Re: PCX 125 weak spots?

Post by Diesel Dave » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:52 am

I had one for a few years, never went wrong, my mate still has his after 6 years and still using the original battery!

The only weak spot I have heard about is the main stand mounting points on the engine casings, but I have never been fond of yanking a bike onto its stand as I have seen so many riders do.

You really do need a screen as the front is very low and leaves you very exposed in bad weather.

I really hated the speed limiter, I found it very dangerous on UK roads - this was the reason I got rid of it.

AE86

Post by AE86 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:13 am

Diesel Dave wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:52 am
I had one for a few years, never went wrong, my mate still has his after 6 years and still using the original battery!

The only weak spot I have heard about is the main stand mounting points on the engine casings, but I have never been fond of yanking a bike onto its stand as I have seen so many riders do.
Good to hear, and the centre stand wont be an issue for me I don't think. Wife can't lift even my Cub onto it's centre stand so this...? :lol:

Diesel Dave wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:52 am
You really do need a screen as the front is very low and leaves you very exposed in bad weather.

I really hated the speed limiter, I found it very dangerous on UK roads - this was the reason I got rid of it.
I rode one around earlier at a dealer and noticed the low nose, which I didn't like that much, but considering it'll mostly be a city scooter on roads with speed limits of 30 mph I think it wont be much an issue with wind (especially with a full face helmet) and the speed limiter either.

What's it limited to? 65?

Diesel Dave
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left

Post by Diesel Dave » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:49 pm

The foot lever for the mainstand is really long, you don’t need to lift just put weight on the peg and if you weigh as much as I do it pops onto the stand with zero effort.

The speed restrictor is about 60mph when new but drops as the belt wears so can end up at 56/57 mph.

So you rock up behind a truck at 1/4 throttle because your on a slight downhill or tailwind, crank open the throttle and go for an overtake without looking at the speedo then as you reach the halfway point of no return the speed limiter cuts in and your now stuck as a car is now on your tailpipe.

Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Post by Capitano » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:08 am

The PCX forum is well regarded as a source of information

http://www.hondapcx.org/

lafree
Rides:: Velosolex

Post by lafree » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:47 am

Hi, I've had a PCX for just over 2 years now 5000 miles no problems reg limiter still cuts in between 60 and 65 , the later models have a mod on the engine case where the centre stand mounts I always use the side stand, the most annoying thing for me is the phone charging socket in the glovebox when you plug in the charger you can't shut the door. Lafree

AE86

Post by AE86 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:05 am

Diesel Dave wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:49 pm
The foot lever for the mainstand is really long, you don’t need to lift just put weight on the peg and if you weigh as much as I do it pops onto the stand with zero effort.
I just meant that we'd probably never use the centre stand, but good to know too.
lafree wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:47 am
...the most annoying thing for me is the phone charging socket in the glovebox when you plug in the charger you can't shut the door. Lafree
That would actually bother me :lol:, I think I might have to wire a new usb charger into the seat compartment just to "make it right".

Thank you for the info all, seems like a decent scoot with a few quirks but all around solid. I think I'll pop my bike for sale and go from there.

babyzed
Rides:: z250

Post by babyzed » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:35 pm

Been looking at PCXs reccomend the PCX forum, lots of tuning info and service info available on the forum.

Was looking at a new PCX. Expected around 65mph. This like the C90 can be improved on with a taller screen. Playing with CVT roller weights can improve pick up, some variator kits may have a slightly larger size face so allow the transmission a slightly better top gear.
As drive belt wears down top speed will drop, so if bike is a few MPH slower several months after you get it then most likely worn drive belt.

Not much to do on them really, fitting a taller screen is best upgrade, change oil regulary.
I think the spark plug may be awkward to get at and requires a Honda plug tool (fairly cheap)
Not massive choice on tyres.