Best Touring Bike

Anything else ya ride!
Jon

Re: Best Touring Bike

Post by Jon » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:15 am

ll81 wrote:I really want the NC to do some euro tripping on, plans are on hold until uncertainty at work is sorted out and I know where I stand employment wise. Been a tough year for all of us, we find out at the end of July. Only had one day off this year and that was for the dentist!

There was some of last years ones on Ebay with very low mileage for a decent price a bit back. They're already popping up, which is odd really.
the bike was built to honda's 'new' long stroke super flexible economy philosophy, in other words, as a sensible, efficient transport solution....And so feels dull compared to the revvy, cammy leisure bikes that 99 percent of the bike buyers are used to.

It you want those engine characteristics, take a look at a W650. Effortless cruising at 85 without a fairing, same torque and power from it's long stroke 670cc twin. utterly smooth, immensely reliable, beautifully built , fab looking, and great ergos.
Here's mine with the later touring bars, and 52 BHP at the wheel...Best so far is 115 MPG and best top end, 118mph (gps)

knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Post by knapdog » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:32 pm

Now Love them or Loathe them, I know someone who's bought one of these!
A BMW R1200C.
In the flesh I think it looks fantastic!
What about you?

billyfix
Rides:: c90 6v classic, c90 cub economy, Triumph Bonneville T120. mk 2 Honda cbf1000 FA

Post by billyfix » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:39 pm

i like it ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

knapdog

Post by knapdog » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:47 pm

But I prefer the Cream.

knapdog

Post by knapdog » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:18 pm

Guildbass, the W650 of yours looks a

cracker!

My son in law's uncle is suffering from bad

knees and on top of all that he's about to

have an op and may never ride again. If

not, he's given me first dibs on this:

A 1998 Triumph Aventurer 900 Triple, 8000

miles and excellent condition. Should I

really, really be hoping his knees don't get

any better?

stevew
Rides:: MaxSym 400i (2013) Wave110i (2014)

Post by stevew » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:03 pm

Diddly wrote:Have a look at a maxi-scooter, Suzuki Burgman for example.... 400cc, good performance/economy.
As comfy as a Goldwing without the weight. Loads of on board luggage space/excellent weather protection. Twist and go/step through design etc etc.
Not everyones cup of tea but do not knock them till you have ridden one and do not ride one coz you might like it!

Diddly
I went the Maxi Scooter route too.
Had a Chinese 250 AJS (Regal rapter) Good bike cheap but too slow
Then a Kawasaki 1500 Cruiser, great comfy, and good luggage capacity but always felt like a fag to get ready and actually use it so in a fit of excitement traded it in for a 500cc Maxi, a Piaggio X9 evo. Not a bad bit of kit. Cruises at 80 and got loads of practical luggage space. Comfy and almost as weather proof as the car !! ( 3hours last night from Nottingham to Bromley in the rain without waterproofs and still pretty dry when I got home!) Funny thing though 'cos the engine doesn't sound right initially 'cos the revs don't rise in the same way as a normal geared bike but I am finding that I really like the automatic way of riding.
As said before "not for everyone" but an option that's worth considering.

Jon

Post by Jon » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:13 pm

knapdog wrote:Guildbass, the W650 of yours looks a

cracker!

My son in law's uncle is suffering from bad

knees and on top of all that he's about to

have an op and may never ride again. If

not, he's given me first dibs on this:

A 1998 Triumph Aventurer 900 Triple, 8000

miles and excellent condition. Should I

really, really be hoping his knees don't get

any better?

~that's a handsome beast! My W is less tidy now...that pic was taken about ten years ago but it still goes like buggery!

ll81
Rides:: CBF125 Z250SL

Post by ll81 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:17 pm

guildbass wrote:
ll81 wrote:I really want the NC to do some euro tripping on, plans are on hold until uncertainty at work is sorted out and I know where I stand employment wise. Been a tough year for all of us, we find out at the end of July. Only had one day off this year and that was for the dentist!

There was some of last years ones on Ebay with very low mileage for a decent price a bit back. They're already popping up, which is odd really.
the bike was built to honda's 'new' long stroke super flexible economy philosophy, in other words, as a sensible, efficient transport solution....And so feels dull compared to the revvy, cammy leisure bikes that 99 percent of the bike buyers are used to.

It you want those engine characteristics, take a look at a W650. Effortless cruising at 85 without a fairing, same torque and power from it's long stroke 670cc twin. utterly smooth, immensely reliable, beautifully built , fab looking, and great ergos.
Here's mine with the later touring bars, and 52 BHP at the wheel...Best so far is 115 MPG and best top end, 118mph (gps)
Yeah, that's what attracts me to the NC aside with the tank storage and car tech on the engine. At 6'3" with a less than perfect back the upright riding position is well suited to me. I prefer to chug these days, the W650 is a nice looking bike but I am Honda through and through. Really like the styling on the NC-X too, that and the CB500X.

dmw1950
Rides:: Enfield Hunter 350/CB125F/Silverwing 600/Vespa250GTS

Post by dmw1950 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:52 am

A touring bike should have plenty of lockable luggage space and something that can do many miles each day without attention to it. You can forget about it and get on with touring.
A Pan-European or a Deauville are probably the best IMHO.

digger06

Post by digger06 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:43 am

knapdog wrote:Now Love them or Loathe them, I know someone who's bought one of these!
A BMW R1200C.
In the flesh I think it looks fantastic!
What about you?
a cheaper version of this is the 1150 rockster, all the legs of a gs variant but lower and easier to handle