Peugeot Vox 110

Anything else ya ride!
Jon

Re: Peugeot Vox 110

Post by Jon » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:48 pm

mender wrote:The main point is what the bike is being used for; leisure or commuting.

If you have the time and can smell the flowers and take it all in along the way, great-but commuting as an alternative to a car is an entirely different thing, especially in a tight working day or schedule when you don't have ten minutes more and the reason you chose a bike was to save time.

I'd hate to commute on the Vox and be ragging it to death and holding other cars up, but for a dawdle around the back lanes when I have all the time in the world it is great.
That being said, I do use it to see mates and have to encounter commuter traffic so I would welcome the extra power and cruising speed on the Innova to be used when appropriate or when needed to be safe keeping in the flow of traffic.

Horses for courses, I used to like going fast and used to travel long distances daily too (20k on my R1200RT in 6 months) but I do prefer taking it easier now. Even then, I find it embarrassing to be holding up commuter traffic or the lorries on the banks so would welcome 65mph ability and more torque for some of the journeys I carry out.
Very well put!

The strange thing is, I find it very difficult to 'just go for a ride'. I MUST have a destination in mind, and actually have a purpose to going there. there's a natural speed we all find (i like to call it 'best speed') and at the lower edge of that day's 'best speed' is an involving flower sniffing bimble. At the top end is a ride where skill, traffic observation and all the other dynamics of the process are handled effortlessly, competently and to great personal satisfaction.

For me, on an open fairly empty road on the Innova with it's useful handling, great brakes and so on, 55 to 65 IS flower sniffing bimbling 'best speed'. On a more congested road, 55 to 65 is top end concentrating 'best speed' where continual overtaking strategies and conservation of momentum are the things that involve and consume my interest.... Which is why the Innova 'fits' me.

Having done long distance high speed dispatch on faster bikes, my brain was geared to find that top end 'best speed' at around 80-90 on clear A roads so even now, having slowed from lack of daily high speed 'practise', I still find 45 too slow...Not engaging enough on any level. On a very slow bike however, 45 IS engaging as the bike itself forces you to engage mechanically......

mender
Rides:: 2014 Peugeot VOX 110 (have had 20+ bikes inc C90, MZs, R1200RT etc)

Post by mender » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:43 pm

Jon wrote:
mender wrote:The main point is what the bike is being used for; leisure or commuting.

If you have the time and can smell the flowers and take it all in along the way, great-but commuting as an alternative to a car is an entirely different thing, especially in a tight working day or schedule when you don't have ten minutes more and the reason you chose a bike was to save time.

I'd hate to commute on the Vox and be ragging it to death and holding other cars up, but for a dawdle around the back lanes when I have all the time in the world it is great.
That being said, I do use it to see mates and have to encounter commuter traffic so I would welcome the extra power and cruising speed on the Innova to be used when appropriate or when needed to be safe keeping in the flow of traffic.

Horses for courses, I used to like going fast and used to travel long distances daily too (20k on my R1200RT in 6 months) but I do prefer taking it easier now. Even then, I find it embarrassing to be holding up commuter traffic or the lorries on the banks so would welcome 65mph ability and more torque for some of the journeys I carry out.
Very well put!

The strange thing is, I find it very difficult to 'just go for a ride'. I MUST have a destination in mind, and actually have a purpose to going there. there's a natural speed we all find (i like to call it 'best speed') and at the lower edge of that day's 'best speed' is an involving flower sniffing bimble. At the top end is a ride where skill, traffic observation and all the other dynamics of the process are handled effortlessly, competently and to great personal satisfaction.

For me, on an open fairly empty road on the Innova with it's useful handling, great brakes and so on, 55 to 65 IS flower sniffing bimbling 'best speed'. On a more congested road, 55 to 65 is top end concentrating 'best speed' where continual overtaking strategies and conservation of momentum are the things that involve and consume my interest.... Which is why the Innova 'fits' me.

Having done long distance high speed dispatch on faster bikes, my brain was geared to find that top end 'best speed' at around 80-90 on clear A roads so even now, having slowed from lack of daily high speed 'practise', I still find 45 too slow...Not engaging enough on any level. On a very slow bike however, 45 IS engaging as the bike itself forces you to engage mechanically......
All makes sense to me, but I do like to just go for a bimble and see what happens rather than having a set aim from time to time. Having moved from big and fast bikes and slowed right down too, I still like an involving ride but also like to take it all in.
Being stuck at 40ish with a line of commuters behind you is not enjoyable though.... :roll:

Bill/Rubery
Rides:: Peugeot Vox 110 cc

Post by Bill/Rubery » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:08 pm

Sorry about that Jon, I do in fact use my Vox purely for leisure riding and apart from the last ride mentioned most of it is exploring country lanes where 25mph is fast! If I/we need to go 'somewhere', then its my wife's car! I did draw up a list of places I wanted to ride to but would much prefer to go there on my touring cycle using trains. Its nice to have a motorcycle to go out on to make a change from pedalling and I can go far out into Worcestershire than I could by purely cycling...so now you know...

Bill/Rubery

Post by Bill/Rubery » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:22 pm

Oh dear, I rode like I do even when I owned my Innova and quite frankly the Vox feels exactly like the Innova. If there is a line of cars behind me I just wave them past...like I did driving my Reliant Regal van when my then girl friend (now my wife) used to tell me I was..."The leader of the pack"....

mender

Post by mender » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:17 pm

Bill/Rubery wrote:Oh dear, I rode like I do even when I owned my Innova and quite frankly the Vox feels exactly like the Innova. If there is a line of cars behind me I just wave them past...like I did driving my Reliant Regal van when my then girl friend (now my wife) used to tell me I was..."The leader of the pack"....
HI Bill, I find it hard to wave them past whilst moving as I have to take my hand off the throttle and slow even further whilst waving about all over the place...

What is your technique?

Jon

Post by Jon » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:27 pm

mender wrote:
Bill/Rubery wrote:Oh dear, I rode like I do even when I owned my Innova and quite frankly the Vox feels exactly like the Innova. If there is a line of cars behind me I just wave them past...like I did driving my Reliant Regal van when my then girl friend (now my wife) used to tell me I was..."The leader of the pack"....
HI Bill, I find it hard to wave them past whilst moving as I have to take my hand off the throttle and slow even further whilst waving about all over the place...

What is your technique?
i spot a good place up ahead for cars to overtake, indicate left, pull towards the side then take my throttle hand off and wave them past as the bike slows...They take the hint pretty promptly and you can get back on the throttle as soon as you have waved.

mender

Post by mender » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:46 pm

Jon wrote:
i spot a good place up ahead for cars to overtake, indicate left, pull towards the side then take my throttle hand off and wave them past as the bike slows...They take the hint pretty promptly and you can get back on the throttle as soon as you have waved.
Problem is I keep up on the flat, but slow down on the uphills and throttling off enough to wave them by would cause even more issues.....I tend to stick close to the kerb at 40mph and join the traffic at 50+.

Jon

Post by Jon » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:51 pm

mender wrote:
Jon wrote:
Problem is I keep up on the flat, but slow down on the uphills and throttling off enough to wave them by would cause even more issues.....I tend to stick close to the kerb at 40mph and join the traffic at 50+.
I know what you mean, but I only let people past when it is right for me, so if I'm approaching a climb, I'll get them past then. if they get behind me ON a climb, I'll keep them there until the hill levels out then wave them through when the next good passing point appears.
Fortunately those days are past now unless I'm shepherding a slow bike.... :D

Bill/Rubery

Post by Bill/Rubery » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:19 pm

Hello, I know all about the daft snapping shut of the throttle, that's why I was considering using a elastic band or something else to use as a cruise control. As regards to getting traffic to come past me I use my LEFT hand waving along the SIDE of my helmet to get motorists past me....works as well!

johnwoodgate
Rides:: 2016 Peugeot Vox

Post by johnwoodgate » Fri May 27, 2016 1:46 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm new to the C90 Club not owning anything at the moment unless you count my Pashley 'Dutch-looking' roadster bicycle. I'm in Suffolk near the market town of Sudbury. I have been following the all the posts about the Peugeot Vox with interest and think this might be a suitable bike for me to ride being 68 years of age and not wanting to go faster than 30. Bill/Rubery, The Devon Rider, Mender and Jon, do you still own their Vox scooters? I would love to hear from you via these pages.