Next VOX service approaches!

Anything else ya ride!
Bill/Rubery
Rides:: Peugeot Vox 110 cc

Next VOX service approaches!

Post by Bill/Rubery » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:35 pm

My Vox has a big service coming soon. As there are a lot of panels coming off to get at the bits I thought it would be a good idea to replace the normal battery with a gel type or what-have-you. Can anybody tell me which is the best "no palaver" battery to fit in place of what's on the bike now?? My existing battery has a lead fitted to join up to my OXIMISER battery charger which will go on the new intended battery!....Thanks in advance!

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Re: Next VOX service approaches!

Post by wightegi » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:14 pm

If it aint broke ... My lead acid battery is 6 years old and will start the bike in a field at -6 on the starter motor ,but even if it did not the kicker would as they do not need a good battery to run.

digger06

Post by digger06 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:47 pm

no such thing as no palaver ,and as above a well maintained lead acid is second to none,
I have never had a lead acid battery beaten on longevity, and these new expensive fancy ones are proving themselves to be lacking.(except in the marketing of them)..
we use normal wet batteries at the power station I work at , others have been tried, but fall short, says something really, as a power station should know a thing or two about electrical production... :D

on a further note, an oximiser or similar will not save a knackered battery, once its dead, its dead,
and will not make a battery last longer that's maintained correctly,
when laid up, a battery should be kept warm, and drained/recharged now and then, (I do mine every 6 week in the winter)
the thing oximisers are good at is charging any type of battery safely, as different ones can require different methods of charging,
Last edited by digger06 on Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bogger
Maintenance Stasi
Rides:: 3 x C90,BMW R1200st, BMW R80RT, Honda Mode , Super Cub C125A, Yamaha Majesty 250

Post by Bogger » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:48 pm

Blimmin eck Bill, have you still got the Vox??

Bogger :roll:

gtd65
Rides:: Super Cub 110cc, '83 Suzuki GS450GA & '86 Suzuki GSX-R750G, Kawasaki Zephyr

Post by gtd65 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:23 pm

For roughly £12 delivered - I'd only replace the battery if it's absolutely needed... :lol:

Bill/Rubery
Rides:: Peugeot Vox 110 cc

Post by Bill/Rubery » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:23 pm

Thanks for the replies ...BUT...I asked the question as I am happy to do the servicing ...but..I don't want the hassle of taking off all the bits just to check the battery for the water level...I find it tedius!! and everytime I graze my knuckles or something I bleed like a stuck pig as I am on Warfarin! Hence the need to know about maintenance-free batteries....Gell?? I use the bike all through the Winter so don't need to do a post winter check over.....'digger06'...the battery is not knackered at all. I don't want the bother of bike work that can/could be avoided. Ay old Bogger, the bike runs o k so why not hang on to it?? It is great for touring the back lanes and the petrol consumption is wonderful...