RIDERS CUB DISCUSSION

Anything else ya ride!
gtd65
Rides:: Super Cub 110cc, '83 Suzuki GS450GA & '86 Suzuki GSX-R750G, Kawasaki Zephyr

Re: RIDERS CUB DISCUSSION

Post by gtd65 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:40 am

Fuel guage is now dropping - it's dropped one LED and the next one down is intermittently on and off while riding.

Managed to get the headlight adjusted tonight and took it out for a spin to verify if it was OK.

Have to say the light output is very good for a small machine but the quality of the light housing is very low grade, seems to do the job quite well though.

Didn't find that I could adequately adjust the headlamp beam with the light in-situ.

Had to removed it, then adjust the 8mm bolt to get the setting locked into a better angle and then re-install the assembly.

Was thinking about lining the inner part of the coloured plastic area of the light with black duck tape or suchlike, due to the light bleed coming through the plastic but that's a low priority job....

gtd65
Rides:: Super Cub 110cc, '83 Suzuki GS450GA & '86 Suzuki GSX-R750G, Kawasaki Zephyr

Post by gtd65 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:31 am

Have done another 100km since the last time the tank was full and the gauge was showing 3 or 4 bars.

I had the bike outside a friends house and had popped in for a cuppa. When I came out there was a fair number of blokes looking over at the bike.

Put my key in and pressed the starter, didn't fire up!
Thought maybe the fuel gauge wasn't reading and I'd run out of fuel?

I carry a spare litre of petrol on the bike so poured that in.

Pressed the starter repeatedly but still wouldn't fire. Tried choke on and choke off. Full throttle, no throttle, in between throttle and variable throttle... Still no joy!

By now I'm having thoughts of "f-ing Chinese shite!"

Bike is still on the centre stand and I look down and see the f-ing side stand is down as well!

Kick it up and fires up immediately.... Lol

Jon

Post by Jon » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:59 am

gtd65 wrote:
Put my key in and pressed the starter, didn't fire up!
Thought maybe the fuel gauge wasn't reading and I'd run out of fuel?

I carry a spare litre of petrol on the bike so poured that in.

Pressed the starter repeatedly but still wouldn't fire. Tried choke on and choke off. Full throttle, no throttle, in between throttle and variable throttle... Still no joy!

Bike is still on the centre stand and I look down and see the f-ing side stand is down as well!

Kick it up and fires up immediately.... Lol
I did this on my Innova after riding the Beemer for several months... On the Honda, the starter motor won't crank if the side stand is down ...I was about ready to have the switch gear to bits......

gtd65

Post by gtd65 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:28 pm

Yeah, I couldn't believe I got caught out as I know full well that the side stand switch cuts off the ignition.

I think I might actually remove this feature at some point...

Jon

Post by Jon » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:01 pm

gtd65 wrote:Yeah, I couldn't believe I got caught out as I know full well that the side stand switch cuts off the ignition.

I think I might actually remove this feature at some point...
My old BMW R75/6 was worse. That bike would start and idle with the sidestand down, but instantly cut-out if you engaged a gear while the spring loaded stand was down, so if you selected first as you went to lift it upright (allowing the stand to auto retract as you smoothly thrummed away with both feet on the footrests, ....As the clutch bit in first, the engine would stop dead......

gtd65

Post by gtd65 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:26 am

Was hoping to get the bike out again but the weather and timing hasn't been right so far. I'm almost at the 500km mark now!

Really finding the front brake to be lacking, I'm not used to needing to use both brakes to stop with such emphasis on the rear!

Any tips for front braking improvement?

It's not dangerous due to the low speeds but feel there's not enough there for an emergency?

Mattt
Rides:: Honda c90c Chaly CF70 Yamaha YDS5 Honda CB400n superdream

Post by Mattt » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:52 am

Mines at 1k and the front is still bad so they don't improve
The cable seems to compress you can pull mine right up to the bars,I've been told a Honda cub one will fit but I'm using the bike all the time so I can't take it off to go and match one up as I'm assuming there's more than one type

gtd65

Post by gtd65 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:37 am

I've adjusted the cable on mine a couple of times now.

My mountain bike definitely has more feedback! ;-)

gtd65

Post by gtd65 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:14 pm

Well I'm now up around 525km, due to a nice and sunny day here today.

Fuel float seems to be sticking a bit once more but was showing full once I put the bike away.

cornmek1
Rides:: Currently Sinnis Hero 125 - several cubs in the past

Post by cornmek1 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:39 am

Just passed its first MOT.. had to get the steering linkage tightened up ( again )

put the NVA army panniers back on ... and we are off again.... parp parp !

regards

Kev