Beyond saving...

Links to items on Auto Trader, Gumtree, eBay and other external websites.
krazy kev
C90Club Clown!
Rides:: 12V CUB HEINZ

Re: Beyond saving...

Post by krazy kev » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:48 am

Alan CF wrote:
Alan CF wrote:why are we not reporting him to ebay, :?:
Yes i know its cheap and he has put for parts only, the rear foot pegs and rubber bungs are worth the £4.99
So someone might snap it up.

let us hope so, and they don't try to fix it. :)
has anybody managed to remove the threaded shock mounts in one piece in the past?

digger06

Post by digger06 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:29 pm

mylittletony wrote:
krazy kev wrote:NEVER EVER try to weld swinging arms or forks, even small holes. They must be replaced.
Can I ask why you think that? What makes repairing a frame ok, but not suspension parts?
well, tbh, any welding on suspension items can be failed by an mot tester,
and any tester who passes a welded up swingarm wants banning for life,,,
ANY repair weld on a c90 swing arm or forks would be an instant fail with me, no matter how well it "looked"

as for frames, if I see a c90 with any welding near the suspension or mounts, I am within my rights to fail it,
unless you have a receipt for the fitting by a professional welder, etc,
and even then, I can still fail it if I think its not up to standard....
it is rare this has to happen though
(although, it HAS happened)

condition of structure and suspension in the mot book both mention fails for anything that compromises original strength
corrosion, in particular,,,,,,

imo, the guy who tried to sell that is a moron,
and anyone who would actually buy that is even worse....
even a small rust hole in a pressed steel fabrication could mean the entire structure is rotten inside....

krazy kev
C90Club Clown!

Post by krazy kev » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:35 am

digger06 wrote:
mylittletony wrote:
krazy kev wrote:NEVER EVER try to weld swinging arms or forks, even small holes. They must be replaced.
Can I ask why you think that? What makes repairing a frame ok, but not suspension parts?
well, tbh, any welding on suspension items can be failed by an mot tester,
and any tester who passes a welded up swingarm wants banning for life,,,
ANY repair weld on a c90 swing arm or forks would be an instant fail with me, no matter how well it "looked"

as for frames, if I see a c90 with any welding near the suspension or mounts, I am within my rights to fail it,
unless you have a receipt for the fitting by a professional welder, etc,
and even then, I can still fail it if I think its not up to standard....
it is rare this has to happen though
(although, it HAS happened)

condition of structure and suspension in the mot book both mention fails for anything that compromises original strength
corrosion, in particular,,,,,,

imo, the guy who tried to sell that is a moron,
and anyone who would actually buy that is even worse....
even a small rust hole in a pressed steel fabrication could mean the entire structure is rotten inside....
Digger06 has just hit the nail bang on the head. If you want to buy the item for the foot-pegs then I see no harm in that but do yourself a favour. ask the guy to remove them and post the foot-pegs to you. Why pay around £6 to have a pile of rust sent to you.
Dont forget that any welding repairs that you do to the frame must be a continuous weld.
In the meantime here is an extract from the official MOT testers instruction manual confirming Diggers statement
ASSESMENT OF CORROSION.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

digger06

Post by digger06 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:38 pm

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/index.htm

full, proper manual, on that link, if anyone needs it....

mylittletony
Rides:: 1984 c50lac, 1981 xs650, 1979 Volvo!

Post by mylittletony » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:40 pm

You learn something new every day!

My comment/provocation was merely to say that *IF* you had sufficient talent to effectively re-fabricate the swingarm, surely that is as good as buying a new one. For example, a custom made swinging arm is an MOT pass so why not a repaired one *IF* it is done to a high enough standard.

Obviously, the question of whether it's worth it is entirely separate.

digger06

Post by digger06 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:03 pm

because with a repaired one, you never know what is inside it, it could be full of rust, that's the reason,
how many cars/bikes out there get patched up, looking good, but come the mot, you can poke a hole through next to the repair,
its simply not worth the risk on suspension...

if its new , its not (in theory) gonna be rusty,
a homemade arm, brand new can still fail, if the testers not happy with the quality,,,,

krazy kev
C90Club Clown!

Post by krazy kev » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:29 pm

swinging arm and front forks are much like car chassis members. the difference on a car is that the chassis is part of the shell and a lot easier to repair.
if you buy a second hand swinging arm you have no way of telling what the inside is like. a little tip is to tilt it side to side. if you hear any lose substance rattling inside it will most likely be rust. it means that there is not much life left in it and you are best not to buy it. if you buy it off ebay its a risk that you take.
If you buy a new swinging arm you can prevent future rust. all you need to do is drill a small hole large enough to put some waxoil in the inside to coat the inside.
all rust is caused by water entering via the small holes. there is also no drain hole at the lowest point for the water to drain out of so in effect it will always be there until it rots an hole in the arm for it to drain out of.

digger06

Post by digger06 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:00 pm

this was done to mine when almost new, also the forks and frame were coated with waxoil internally ,
and the rear area, regularly re applied
with the result that when I stripped mine, there was no rust inside, all still good, from 1986