Honda Wave 110

Links to items on Auto Trader, Gumtree, eBay and other external websites.
Jon

Re: Honda Wave 110

Post by Jon » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:36 pm

unclejohnse wrote:Hi everyone, i am new on here and this is my first post. i have owned c90's since i was a nipper almost 30 years now and have had good experiences with honda 110 waves too. i regularly holiday in southeast asia and rent a honda wave from the same guy each time and i get the same bike if its not already rented out. The last time i rented it it had 88.000 kms on the clock and was still on its original engine, the guy says it has been a rental bike all its life and he is the only owner. i often quiz him on the issues he has had with this bike and he says only the clutch has really given trouble in its life and is now on its 3rd clutch. can you imagine the abuse it has had from many an irrisponsible tourist over the years? admittedly this is the older carburettor model, but i see no reason why the fuel injected version will not be as good.
The thing that really characterises the new 'road only' Waves is that they are very long stroke engines. The 110cc engine is 50 by 55 cm compared to the older C90's 50 by 45.9cm so they have good pulling power low down while being less highly tuned than the similar power 90. This means they can be (and are) significantly higher geared and so they don't rev out in the same way.....Making them harder to abuse even with complete disregard for revs AND making them much less prone to damage caused by thrashing early on when the engine is cold.

the fuel injected bike develops more torque again than the carb 110 so those benefits are further reinforced with the newer injected engines.

Taxiboy42
Rides:: Honda Innova, Suzuki VanVan

Post by Taxiboy42 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:22 pm

Ok, so I took the wave on its first mission yesterday, an Aldershot to Southampton run. I went out in daylight and came back after night fall. Its a great little bike and very very good in the traffic for filtering. Fuel economy is averaging around 120ish to a gallon and that's with my heated bodywarmer and gloves drawing power from the battery too. IRS most at home between 40 and 50 with 50 mph being an optimum cruising speed. If you like the feeling of aluminium on skull, the bike will pull all the way up to 60 mph but I'm happy to keep my piston long term encapsulated by its cylinder. The headlight is good for a 35 watt bulb and the suspension is great over all major bumps and imperfections. It might be worth noting that I have changed to a set of Michelin Pilot Street tyres and they are 200% better on all fronts than the Cheng Shin OEM's.
Whilst my journey time has increased over my last scooter, its so much nicer to have gears, bigger wheels and brakes in the right places! Such a fun little bike and my round trip journey of 104 miles cost me £3.50! That's £16.50 cheaper than my car! Roll on the nice weather for some 'Cub touring' 8-)
The only downside was I had a serious at*e ache on the way back after about 50 miles but let's be fair here, its a scooter not a tourer by nature and a quick stop for 5 mins sorted that.
Here's looking next to my next trip on the Wave.

teaboy64
Rides:: Wave 110

Post by teaboy64 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:36 pm

I bought a Wave in January, having had an Innova previously. I love it to bits, but have just fallen prey to my first puncture. One of the reasons I offloaded the Innova was that I'd twice suffered flats in the back of beyond and had to push it for miles to reach civilisation. Seeing that the Wave had tubeless tyres, I knew I'd found the perfect bike. Once I'd found the screw in my tyre I set to work with the new Stop & Go plugging kit and impressed myself how quickly and neatly I'd done the repair, only to hear air escaping from the valve seat. At first I couldn't equate what was going on because I was so convinced I was running tubeless; but then all the clues fell into place. I'd just plugged a tube tyre and still needed to get a new tube. Doh! At least I've had a practice run on the plugger. Now to source some Michelin Pilot Street tyres.

unclejohnse
Rides:: Innova, Daelim 100 citi, Honda ape (genuine), Honda Ape (copy). Yamaha RD400.

Re: Honda Wave 110i

Post by unclejohnse » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:58 pm

I have had one of these Wave 110i's now for around a year and for the 20 miles a day commute it has been excellent. The engine is fantastic compared to the old cub, much better pulling power, 4 speed gearbox make inclines much less of a chore, the handling is superb, the disc brake is excellent and the last few tankfulls I have had over 140mpg. The top speed seems to be around 60mph and cruising at 50-55 the motor is not sounding stressed. (speeds are gps) but the speedo is only reading around 2-3mph fast at 60mph. The finish and general quality of the bike is very good too, and the oil remains clear between 1000km oil changes with no detectable oil use during this period. I did have to change the cam chain on mine at 12,000 miles but the previous owner had not looked after things well and the bike came to me in a poor state with no service history, so I doubt any oil changes had been done other than maybe the free one you get at 500 miles. The oil was like syrup when I bought the bike and as black as coal and contained only 250ml not the full litre it should but the engine sounded ok so I bought it. I changed the oil the next day and it rattled like hell, the thick oil had been keeping the cam chain quiet. One cam chain and tensioning spring later and all has been right as rain, the cam chain is the same set up as C90 with the guide wheel in the cam chain tunnel and the tensioner is the same arrangement too, but the parts are not compatible as the wave chain is 90 links, but the job is just as easy although the wave bodywork makes things a little more awkward.
The fuel injection means that the bike just purrs from a cold start and it starts on the button even on cold mornings returning remarkable mpg. only tempered by the fact that the tank holds only a little over 3 litres which is poor in my view. There is a tiny amount of under seat storage for a lock and water proofs, not big enough for a helmet not even an open face one, so in my view Honda would have been much better to have doubled the tank capacity and not bothered with the storage space.

Jon

Post by Jon » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

I've got a 25litre Honda (Givi) top box on my innova and during 'big' shops, it is surprising how useful that underseat bin is...All the squashy stuff like bags of rice will go in there.