C90 for one-armed touring/camping?

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
spriddler
Rides:: 1954 Matchless G3LS. 1997 C90T

C90 for one-armed touring/camping?

Post by spriddler » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:14 pm

Hi
I'm having difficulty managing my 1954 Matchless after being knocked off it by a lorry cornering on the wrong side of the road in a lane 18 months ago . My right arm is unlikely to become useable (brachial plexus trauma) in spite of several ops. I've had my Matchless adapted with throttle, clutch and front brake on the left but operating the clutch and the throttle simultaneousy with the left hand is a bit awkward therefore an automatic would better than manual gears. :!: It's also too heavy to manage for now.
In the past 5 years I've camped 20,000 mls throughout Europe; Poland, Portugal, Italy, France, Germany etc. etc. with a tent (I'm 66) and now need something lighter and more manageable. The C90 seems to fit the bill and have seen some postings on the Real Classic magazine message board of an interesting rally of C90 owners in support of the 'Help for Heros' charity. I've never seen one in the flesh and although I've searched eBay and the usual places I'm still not sure about the controls. I can only use my left hand.
A kick start would be o.k. but do they all have manual g/boxes or are there automatic models?
I've been practising erecting my tent one-handed which is possible if it isn't windy, so all I need now is some transport.
I've considered the 3 wheel scooters (too much plastic) and trikes (can't afford the tattoos) but they don't float my boat at all .
Is there somewhere I can look to find spec's (e.g. leccy or kick start, manual or auto gears) of the various models, or can someone on here tell me?
Thanks

fatboytours
Rides:: C90T,C70 12v, C125, BMW 1200GSA, Triumph Thruxton R, Blood bike BMW R1250RT

Re: C90 for one-armed touring/camping?

Post by fatboytours » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:23 pm

First problem is that left hand controls are non existent, right hand operates front brake and throttle. No need for clutch as C90 is semi automatic. Sure somebody on here will have some way of crossing controls over

herrod
Rides:: C50 cd90z 600 Rotax flat tracker.

Post by herrod » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:40 pm

i often used to ride my c90 with one hand whilst carrying something,or just to see if i could do it up and down the gears.like fatboytours said your only hicup would be adapting L.H controls, I'm sure i can be done and wouldn't be far off the perfect choice of bike to adapt.

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:51 pm

Yes as FB says it is posible the cub ..c90 was first designed to be ridden with one hand ,it was the right one though and left the left hand free to carrry noodles.The gears are changed with the left foot ,the pedal disengages the clutch so no need for a lever, there is no lever on the left bar.Some of the 50cc moped models use a left hand lever for the rear brake so it would only be a case of sorting out the throtle.One of our members Conrodfitter is building a left hand control bike for his wife so there are some ideas out there .You will have to come to one of our meetings, camping and riding you wont be the oldest..A 12 volt bike would be best for you lecy start is available but not essential I always use the kick start on mine,may be need a new battery. Parts are cheap and tax is now up to £16 a year 100mpg and the honda reliability .

spriddler
Rides:: 1954 Matchless G3LS. 1997 C90T

Post by spriddler » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:53 am

Thanks, one an' all.
Kickstarter no problem - even with self-tappers, a plate and rod in my IKEA right leg I can still manage to kick over my single cyl 350 longstroke old clunker which has 60lbs of flywheel.
I've designed, and a two-handed pal has made for me a left hand twistgrip and a left hand tandem lever unit - clutch and front brake levers one above t'other but holding the 380lb bike on the footbrake whilst easing out the clutch whilst rolling on the throttle and steering with the same (left) hand is a bit of a challenge!
Hmm, time to find a bike then....
Speed is of no consequence, being retired (a Hell's Angina - Shady Pines chapter ;)). When I've set out on previous adventures and people have asked me how long it will take me to get there I honestly reply "The longer the better". Breakdowns? As if I care how long I have to sit in the shade by a lazy river with a baguette and a glass or two of Bordeaux at €4 a night whilst waiting for spares to arrive..... :roll:

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:54 am

My best mate has a brachial plexus injury. Common injury coming off your bike, putting a hand out to break a fall.... He also died three times under the FIat Tipo that knocked him off, and punched both his hips through their pelvic sockets, broke his femur, punctured his lungs, broke his ribs....

He's now riding a GSXR 600(?) doesn't seem to be a problem for him. It's proper cut, like, his shoulder has atrophied, and he can't raise his arm forwards, like lift it to the front. He started a leccie course, but had to give in as he couldn't wire overhead.

He is a very determined chap mind....

Pjam
SPAMMER!
Rides:: C90, C70c, CB500, ANF125, A100 Bitsa

Post by Pjam » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:08 am

Requirements are a little like the 'Something for the Wife' thread............... where is that?

Edit: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6814

fatboytours
Rides:: C90T,C70 12v, C125, BMW 1200GSA, Triumph Thruxton R, Blood bike BMW R1250RT

Post by fatboytours » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:14 am

a Hell's Angina - Shady Pines chapter
Like that expression, that could cover some of us older members chapter