Hello from Orkney

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
PhilB
Rides:: C70zz, C90zz, S65, Tiger 955i

Re: Hello from Orkney

Post by PhilB » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:50 pm

Welcome :D

orcadian
Rides:: GL1500SE, CBF600SA8, CB400/4, CB350/4, 1983 C50LAC, 1993 C90P and others!

Post by orcadian » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:43 pm

Ooh, you are awful!!
Been in touch with the pit bike guys and they can do a 125 Lifan motor from stock but I'll have to wait a bit for a 110 semi auto with carb and loom. That would be my preference as I don't want to mod the left bar for a clutch and remove the 'handbrake' from the LAC. Can't believe how cheap these units are. Not sure what I'll need to do about the exhaust but surely the 50 system will give too much back pressure - any thoughts on that one?
The trip will not be until next May, so we have time for shakedowns and fitting extra fuel capacity - the Lifan must drink a lot more than the 49er.
Clothing will be kept to the 'bare' minimum - I'm already well practiced in not taking too much. On a recent trip down to the Highlands on the CBF my mate asked if I'd changed my underpants and I unwittingly replied that I'd decided to 'stick to the ones I had on'
It now comes up regularly in conversation, usually at awkward times - hey, ho!
Ian

Diesel Dave
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left

Post by Diesel Dave » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:10 pm

Converting from a 50 auto 12v to a 110 Lifan does mean quite a few small changes.

If it was me I would do:

1) Remove the 2 bungs from the airbox intake pipes. (if they are still in place)
2) Swap the rubber pipe from the airbox to carb for a C90 version (50 is smaller)
3) Use a C90 carb and manifold - the earlier type so the inlet manifold size matches the 110 intake port.
4) use a C90 exhaust (the 50 may have a restrictor that removable but the header pipe will be too small anyway).
5) Try 16x39 gearing.
6) Swap the CDI for a C90 or OO Racing V4 box (the 50 version is fixed timing
7) Upgrade the electrics to the later C90 reg/rec so the AC lighting current is regulated and you won't blow bulbs at 'tother end when one fails.

The other option would be to use an ATC carb and BBR manifold with a foam filter but this is a noisy option and you don't really get a lot more power.

All do-able and has been done before, however your in a uniquely remote position to locate spares or get them posted to you:

This was my conversion:

knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Post by knapdog » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:13 pm

Nice to see the Welsh Dragon on the front DD.

orcadian
Rides:: GL1500SE, CBF600SA8, CB400/4, CB350/4, 1983 C50LAC, 1993 C90P and others!

Post by orcadian » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:27 pm

Well diesel Dave, that was the sort of info I had hoped to get from the folk who have the T Shirt, rather than the armchair experts - a great many thanks for that - the kettle's on if you are passing!!
None of the suggestions cause me too much concern as I have contacts down in Englandshire. We also have electric light up here now and I can easily get stuff sent up by rowing boat every February. :D
The Lifan 110 can be supplied with carb but in your experience is the standard C90 carb a better bet?
I will start investigating the reg/rec situation and the exhaust and although we have time, I know from 68 years of hard earned experience it's drawing ever nearer.
Thanks again for the encouragement - I remember being told it was impossible for me to re-shell a damaged Jaguar XJ-S Cabriolet - so I did, and ran it for 24 years.

Ian

Diesel Dave
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left

Post by Diesel Dave » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:46 pm

I was only concerned for the extra postage that seems to apply when getting stuff to the Highlands and Islands.

I love Orkney myself, we were there a few years back with the Bongo and C90 on the tow hitch:

Naturally we had to stop at every distillery on the way there and back, if the van had overturned on the return leg there would have been a mighty fireball...

orcadian

Post by orcadian » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:10 am

Thanks again Dave for the info and pics. I realise it was just the cost of postage which led to your concern of my remote location but it really isn't much of a problem. We have been here over 10 years now and it's amazing how much networking help we get (and give). 'Oh, I'm going down to wedding soon - I'll pick one up on my way back' is the sort of comment we often hear. It has to be that way on an island - we LOVE it! Parcel force treat us the same as any UK mainland place but couriers naturally charge more.
Anyhoo, great to see that you use your Cub for whisky touring. I think for my forthcoming tour I will use the Lifan 110cc semi auto in the C50 LAC but probably put it back to standard afterwards. Think I need to start a new post now!
I'll probably put a few pages on my site about the preparation and actual run but I'm unable to add the URL of my site to my profile - perhaps because I'm a new member?

Ian

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:38 am

May be start a project thread , the C90 exhaust will fit the 50 when you come back but will give you more power :( ... :lol:
Offshore islands ... I have the same problems with deliveries.