Brit in Tokyo - first cub

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
gtd65
Rides:: Super Cub 110cc, '83 Suzuki GS450GA & '86 Suzuki GSX-R750G, Kawasaki Zephyr

Re: Brit in Tokyo - first cub

Post by gtd65 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:33 pm

I think the current plan for the 240SX is to give it to our son when he is old enough to drive (he’s only 7 right now!)
It’s been a generally reliable car as far as not breaking down is concerned but it’s had more bits replaced than any car I’ve ever owned. Then again, it’s been in the household for 16 years now and one mustn’t grumble too much!
The great thing with it being a Florida car is that there’s absolutely no rust at all anywhere on the car. Even the brake pipes look like they did when it left the factory!
Jobs that have been done include:
New fuel tank – plastic one gets stress fractures, then leaks (major job)
New radiator
New Water Pump
New Discs & Pads all round (service item)
New rear struts
New upper radiator hose
New lower radiator hose
New fan belt
New front control arm bushings
One rear exhaust box
One replacement drivers side window regulator (common problem)
New knock sensor (had to buy wobble bars to do that job!)
Main fuse blew (100A) what a carry on trying to troubleshoot that – it’s an SE model
Steering rack bellows replaced

Probably more items but that's off the top of my head

Anigai
Rides:: Honda: 1983 12v C90G, 1997 FES250, 2015 CB125f, Suzuki: 1982 6v GN400L,

Post by Anigai » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:26 pm

Probably a good idea to pop over to the for sale forum if you're trying to sell it :lol:

Norm
Rides:: Hondas C110, C70C, C50LAC, PF50 Amigo & several Lambrettas and Vespas

Post by Norm » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:09 pm

Mersontheperson wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:02 am
My cars (Previous and current) if anyone is interested

Love the Toyota Crown - that's the estate version of the classic HK taxis, if I'm not mistaken?

Mersontheperson
Rides:: Honda little cub

Post by Mersontheperson » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:41 am

Basically yes, since 1995 they created the Toyota crown comfort, and they are used as taxis in HK these days, although there are plenty of older cars that would have been from this generation too.

Still haven't got it on the road yet, stuff in Japan has so much hassle

HalGer

Post by HalGer » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:11 am

What's it like driving a cub around Tokyo?

AE86
Rides:: Honda Dio 4T

Post by AE86 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:19 am

It's nice for parking in terms of fees and finding spaces, especially when you just want to stop by and grab a bite to eat or a few groceries. Truth be told though, the only reason I mainly used a two wheeled vehicle was because of less tax and registration. Traffic wasn't all that bad (i.e. nothing compared to mainland China or SE Asia), just the fees to register and park a car are way too much for my liking.

Sorry for jumping in (I know the question was directed at the OP), I just happen to be Japanese.

Mersontheperson
Rides:: Honda little cub

Post by Mersontheperson » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:08 am

Hi Halger,
Riding in Tokyo is great. Car drivers are generally polite and don't mind you winding your way through the traffic. You have to be aware of the taxi drivers as they can be a bit more assertive and are always likely to swerve acrosss a number of lanes and slam on the brakes for a fare.
Driver sometimes don't indicate until they reach their left turn and start to turn the steering wheel :roll:

But generally the roads are great, and lots of options for small back streets and always something to see. As AE86 says, parking and general convenience you are often seen just as a bicycle , so as long as you are sensible you can get away with a lot.

Speed limit is officially 30kmh, but this is routinely ignored, but to be safe I usually stick to no more than 40. However on some big fast dual carriage ways I sometimes wind her up to 60, risky from the police point of view, but I feel safer going similar speed to other traffic.

All in all, it's a blast