New to forum just saying hi.

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
jameshud1
Rides:: previous c90 owner, now own c50 L 1980

Re: New to forum just saying hi.

Post by jameshud1 » Fri May 27, 2016 8:35 am

Thanks for the input. Who'd of thought riding a c50 could be so much hassle! Insurance got yesterday, their system says 49cc on car liscence, gave them my year of pass and all categories I have on it and same thing "that's fine sir,that's all through for you, you can use this vehicle straight away" i asked him about the year i passed my test though? Reply "sir our information on the screen says no CBT is required" ringing DVLA this morning.

jameshud1

Post by jameshud1 » Fri May 27, 2016 10:28 am

Just of the phone with DVLA, through to the licence section, spoke with a very nice and helpful lady.

My question " I'd like to check my entitlements" lady "ok sir, give me your driving licence number" ok gave her my number. lady " what's your question in relation to, just to speed up your call" me "I'd like to know if I can lawfully ride a 49cc moped on my licence" lady " ok sir lets have a look, (30 seconds of nothing), right here we are, yes sir that vehicle is covered both on category P and the new AM, sir you are licenced to use that vehicle, anything over 49cc and you are required to take a CBT"

me" thank you so just to clarify, on my licence pass date, I am not required to take a CBT on a 49cc bike?" Lady " that's correct sir" me " thank you, just to keep me right here, can I get an email, or some other form of written clarification?" After a short pause then a little chuckle, Lady said " this call is your clarification, you giving me your licence number, and me checking it and advising you on your entitlements is clarification, calls are also noted against your licence for future reference, thank you sir have a good day"

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Fri May 27, 2016 7:10 pm

Did you read the bit in red :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Post by Capitano » Fri May 27, 2016 7:49 pm

Baffling, but a cheap result. 8-)

jameshud1

Post by jameshud1 » Fri May 27, 2016 8:37 pm

wightegi wrote:Did you read the bit in red :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I read it but I am a one of those unlucky fellows who would get caught out if I didn't make absolutely sure. Thanks for interest.

jameshud1

Post by jameshud1 » Fri May 27, 2016 8:47 pm

Capitano wrote:Baffling, but a cheap result. 8-)
Yep it sure was, I spent a fortune on the old c50 L, so due a bit of a result but being covered is more important than saving a few pounds.

And on that note id like to say that just because my licence is this way, doesn't mean everbodies is, so don't use my example as correct for your own circumstances. Always check your own entitlements with the DVLA and contact a CBT company for advice. I am not saying in anyway shape or form that anybody and everybody can ride a moped on their car licence. Thank you all for input.

bru3ce
Rides:: none at present

Post by bru3ce » Sun May 29, 2016 10:16 am

One Caveat:

Category P is a NATIONAL category and (In principle), has no validity in other EU countries unlike cat. AM.
Although few people would consider a C50L ideal for a trans-European tour, it may be worth checking the situation if, for example, you travel to the Rep. of Ireland or a short trip in France, Belgium etc.

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Sun May 29, 2016 11:18 am

Full car license covers you up to 125cc in France..just like us in the EU.

jameshud1

Post by jameshud1 » Sun May 29, 2016 3:59 pm

bru3ce wrote:One Caveat:

Category P is a NATIONAL category and (In principle), has no validity in other EU countries unlike cat. AM.
Although few people would consider a C50L ideal for a trans-European tour, it may be worth checking the situation if, for example, you travel to the Rep. of Ireland or a short trip in France, Belgium etc.
Hi. We have AM here in the UK on our licence, along with some older drivers having cat P, AM would cover me in Europe Inc the republic of Ireland a few miles away from me on the same island but I would need that particular countries AM CBT I think.

My full car liscence and the moped cat P without a CBT wouldn't cover me to ride in the EU, that's my understanding but again as I have learned my understanding is not always correct, hence I asked the question here, i asked my insurence company, the DVLA and a local CBT guy.

If i where to go on a bike trip to Europe I'd be using a 125cc minimum id take a CBT minimum and contact the DVLA pertaining to the countries I was going to visit. But I am not planning on traveling by moped, or 125cc scooter or motorcycle to Europe any time soon but thanks for pointing this out.

jameshud1

Post by jameshud1 » Sun May 29, 2016 4:06 pm

wightegi wrote:Full car license covers you up to 125cc in France..just like us in the EU.
That would be full car licence, plus taking a cat A1 CBT with L plates in the uk, unless an A1 125cc bike test was passed. Are you saying in France however, with a UK car test pass, with a provional cat A1 125cc entitlement we can ride in france with no CBT?