New to forum just saying hi.

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Re: New to forum just saying hi.

Post by wightegi » Mon May 23, 2016 7:42 pm

From the DVLA site
Changes to moped categories

If you’re already licensed to ride a moped your driving licence will show as category P

The new rules won’t affect you, but any new licences issued to you will show categories AM and Q, as well as category P. This means you will also be allowed to ride 2 or 3-wheeled mopeds with a top speed of 50 km/h.
Car driving test passed before 1 February 2001

You don’t need to take compulsory basic training (CBT) to ride a moped if you passed your car driving test before 1 February 2001. You’ll still need to complete CBT to ride a motorbike, however.
Car driving test passed on or after 1 February 2001

You need to take CBT to ride a moped if you passed your car driving test on or after 1 February 2001.

However, you won’t need to take further theory and practical tests or take CBT again.
Changes to moped categories

The red line says it all if you have a P you are good to go. ;)

jameshud1
Rides:: previous c90 owner, now own c50 L 1980

Post by jameshud1 » Mon May 23, 2016 9:47 pm

Thanks dude. Yea got P liscence but done driving test 2002, so just the one CBT it is then.

wightegi

Post by wightegi » Mon May 23, 2016 10:42 pm

No read the red bit again .

jameshud1

Post by jameshud1 » Tue May 24, 2016 7:40 pm

wightegi wrote:No read the red bit again .
Yea i here you wightegi, its just very grey with regards to the "after 2001" date for CBT. Seems the cat P overrides this according to most literature and what folks say, so insure and go, no more talk about it....thanks dude...thanks to all who helped.

Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Post by Capitano » Tue May 24, 2016 8:56 pm

I'm not trying to muddy the waters, seriously I'm not. I'm actually trying to bestow some clatrity. To do that we have to delve deeper. Sorry Michael but jumping to the conclusion initially, the text in red above does not supersede everything else. It is a statement in context that gets justified later in the text. In truth it's a crappily written text that really needed to be written much more clearly on a government information page.

One of my jobs in a previous life was to interpret legislation (mainly health, safety and environmental stuff) for a multinational company. (I wasn't always a domestic sparks ;) )

One thing you do learn is to read and interpret ALL of the document, as a whole, not just the parts that appear to coincide with a given outcome.

This, therefore, is how I read it, which is a little different to the above.

Firstly the above is an except not the whole text. the original has this preface:-

"If you held a motorcycle or moped licence before 19 January 2013 then you’ll keep your existing entitlements and can still ride the same kind of bikes as you did before.

However, if you get a new licence your entitlements may be shown differently.

You’ll have to follow the new rules if you want to get higher entitlements - eg ride a larger motorbike."

So it refers to two different entities, one being those that had a licence (provisional or full car/bike whatever) before 19 January 2013 and those who didn't.

If you got your licence after 19/01/13 you can't ride category P as a moped. Consequently, if you got your licence before 19/01/13, you can ride category P as a moped.

Taking those who had a licence obtained before 19/01/13, we can divide those now into two categories:

1. Those who passed their car test before 01 February 2001. These people can ride category P vehicles as a moped, without L plates and without taking a CBT

2. Those who passed their car test after 01 February 2001. These people can ride category P vehicles as a moped, without L plates but only after taking a CBT. That CBT is valid for life and does not need to be retaken.

Jameshud1 falls into that second section of people above. Therefore Jameshud1 needs to take a CBT, which will be valid for life.

knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Post by knapdog » Tue May 24, 2016 9:14 pm

Pat on the back called for there, Capitano.

jameshud1

Post by jameshud1 » Wed May 25, 2016 11:10 pm

Capitano. That's exactly how I interpret it but the truth of the matter is this, I have went to two CBT guys both looked at my license, both say you aren't required to do a CBT. I reiterated my concerns reference the driving license pass date, they both said the legislation is very grey and they had never met anybody so eager to spend 170 quid. The cub 50 L arrived today and requires work before I insure and tax, in the meantime I am calling into another CBT place to try again. I will contact the DVLA and ask them.

wightegi

Post by wightegi » Thu May 26, 2016 7:21 am

All very good but if you got a provisional license before 2001 it may have had cat P as provisional and so when the car license was passed the cat P was upgraded .
Do a CBT and get a 90 :lol:

jameshud1

Post by jameshud1 » Thu May 26, 2016 7:40 am

That may well be the case I had a provisional since 1994, I've been on the look out for an old round headlight cub 90 never found one, found this instead. also older 125cc bikes interest me too, I see me doing my bike test eventually, bare minimum 125cc cbt as my wife rides a 125cc scooter, she's putting me on her insurance. But I just though out of interest I'd ask/share this, I find it incredible how ill informed even the cbt facilitators are. The p category does appear full entitlement on my liscence, either way I will ring DVLA to check....thanks.

Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Post by Capitano » Thu May 26, 2016 9:47 pm

jameshud1 wrote:I find it incredible how ill informed even the cbt facilitators are.
It's not really that incredible when you consider how badly the .gov information is written.
jameshud1 wrote:The p category does appear full entitlement on my licence
That is consistent with the interpretation I gave. The P class moped entitlement will be full, but because you passed your car test after 01 February 2001 you still have to take one (lifetime) CBT to supplement it.
jameshud1 wrote:I will ring DVLA to check...
That /should/ clear it up finally ... but try and get it in writing as they can, and do, get it wrong!

Given the confusion with this, I doubt that you'd be prosecuted or even investigated if you ever got pulled and document checked. The only time issues would arise is when it came to an accident and/or insurance claim.
jameshud1 wrote:....thanks.
No worries 8-)