Le parcours de la technique de contrôle

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
125erCrazy
Rides:: C125 Super Cub/Address 110

Le parcours de la technique de contrôle

Post by 125erCrazy » Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:29 pm

So back end of May I asked if anyone could recommend a bike MOT garage in Newhaven & as per request Capitano came to my rescue.

Next day I contacted AMT in Newhaven & booked a test for 27th June. The receptionist was very helpful taking all my details and on telling her my UK address stated you do know where we are?

Yes replies I ,I shall be riding up from France :?

OK says she intrigued we open at 8am.

No problem I replied I will be the bleary eyed mess waiting on the forecourt as my ferry docks at 5am.

We can't guarantee a time says she, not an issue I replied my return ferry leaves at 5pm :geek:

What if it doesn't pass the MOT she causally asks

That's NOT AN OPTION I reply

So time moves on and Monday I wheel the Suzuki Address 110 out of the barn, pump up the tyres, check fluids & add luggage. 30 litre top box a tad to small, so the 48 litre goes on making it arse end heavy (and that's just the rider)

Tuesday as UK weather looks grim I unpack the jet boil,mess tuns & all luxuries and pack waterproofs,thermals & jumpers :roll:

2 five litre Aspen fuel bottles are my reserve one only half full to save weight.

At 10.15 today (Wednesday) I leave Airvault (region 79 Deux Sevres) and have a plotted route avoiding all major roads to Dieppe.

10 hours later (with stops) I sit in a harbour side cafe sipping espresso writing the first part of this post.

Conclusions today Aspen fuel is so clean the scoot drinks it like an Irishman necking Guinness on St Patrick's day & I achieve 66 miles though to be fair the needle showed a full tank & visually looked brimmed but within a very short time the needle dropped by a third. The scoot has been sitting for nearly 3 months

Two fill ups later (5.1 litre tank according to manual) I appear to average 110 mpg not bad for fully loaded and my fat arse astride.

Final fill from the jerry can outside Dieppe.

I also noticed E10 gets dearer the further north I get ranging from €1.79 litre to €1.88 at supermarket prices

I got two bug strikes to my lid that would have done Starship Troopers proud.

The knee night support cushion I mentioned in another post worked well my sciatica not seeming an issue yet (age has robbed me of arse fat & put it on my belly) my left shoulder gripes a tad. We shall revisit mobility tomorrow :D

The French do love a Route Barree and Deviation this time of year & it's the only time I've kept up with a Beemer 1250RT as his twat nav was as crap as mine (who'd have thought you would go against the signs and turn up a dirt track to MaccyD to get back on route :shock:

I'm still playing with disposable jerry cans on long trips & am yet to find an ad blue container with cap but I today used an ad blue funnel which works with the aspen bottles but ad blue seems to leave a crystal deposit on the funnel (guessing the urea content) which needed banging & brushing out to he sure none went in my fuel (though I doubt a small amount would hurt much but....)

Total mileage so far today 278.

Let's hope MaccyD at Newhaven is 24 hour & I can walk in about 6am and grab some Z's
Last edited by 125erCrazy on Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Re: Le parcours de la technique de contrôle

Post by Capitano » Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:33 pm

It is a 24 hour McD's. 8-)

125erCrazy

Post by 125erCrazy » Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:41 pm

Capitano wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:33 pm
It is a 24 hour McD's. 8-)
Cheers Cap' I will see if that's the drive thru only part or they will allow my tramp appearance to grace their benches (prob Ok till I start snoring)

125erCrazy

Post by 125erCrazy » Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:54 am

Arse parked in MaccyD, coffee in hand 8-) so a drizzle soaked Dieppe to a frankly wet Newhaven.

Tried to book a cabin on the ferry (forgot) & there's a wait list :!: When called it's £101 for four hours kip (normally £35 when booking)
Swiftly declined & my usual scrunch down spot located.

Waterproofs dripped not dried and a wet helmet (oh matron)

Scoot had a Moto Guzzi & Tenere for company

Let's see how today pans out :D

125erCrazy

Post by 125erCrazy » Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:13 am

Can thoroughly recommend

The Patchwork Cat Ltd

https://maps.app.goo.gl/v2JMhtVNUVjzrjht8

Best home made cake I've had in a long while

Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Post by Capitano » Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:46 pm

125erCrazy wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:13 am
Can thoroughly recommend

The Patchwork Cat Ltd

https://maps.app.goo.gl/v2JMhtVNUVjzrjht8

Best home made cake I've had in a long while
Weirdly enough, I know one of the ladies that works there. :lol:

125erCrazy

Post by 125erCrazy » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:42 pm

Coffee & Cake full to the point of dizziness I wandered back to

https://maps.app.goo.gl/M9Ew62hE1WjRkPGy8

as there is seriously nothing in Newhaven town centre & have no doubt it could make "Britains Crappiest Towns" book

My scoot just finished and paperwork sorted PASS with flying colours (non of the oem (potential
fail spares under the seat removed/needed)

As requested brake fluid changed with no dramas.

I can recommend AMT really nice folk & the receptionist rides a Kwak 900 except today as weather so Cac.

The only issue (& I'm being picky here as my choice of distanc/time schedule) is they couldn't give a time frame though they said they would aim for half 3 so I could get my return ferry 8-)

So now it was time to get provisions to smuggle back & a round robin of Pets at Home,B&Q, Poundland later everything squirreled away in bin bags to stop the constant rain ingress.

Fuel cans brimmed at Sainsbury's I headed to the port to try my luck but as it was now 10am gates shut and no chance of an earlier sailing....

Time to kill a even fuller loaded scoot tripped across the Sussex Downs in a thick mist of drizzle, nearly got blown over at Beachy Head then off to On the Wheel in Brighton drooling over the 5K plus 125cc bikes n Scoots (who would have predicted that) a slow bimble around Brighton (never the same in the rain, I decided I couldn't get any wetter I headed back towards Newhaven.

20 minutes to travel 3.9 miles was the forecast it could only be the UK. Creatively filtering I was joined by a young Asian food delivery driver chatting away on her mobile dressed in her best trainers, lycra leggings, red puffa jacket & no gloves. I guess the compulsory crash helmet was a fashion drag not even matching her 16 plate Metropolis supplied grey NMax. Whilst I filtered by solid whites without crossing she had no such restrictions or fear of undertaking on the nearside.

Finally back at the port, I parked up behind a Yam FZ8 front of the queue & walked inside for more coffee only to discover they had a top of the range hand dryer in the gents which was put to good use drying out my lid and T shirts as I was soaked to the skin

Hours to kill.......

dmw1950
Rides:: Enfield Hunter 350/CB125F/Silverwing 600/Vespa250GTS

Post by dmw1950 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:40 pm

:D

125erCrazy

Post by 125erCrazy » Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:55 pm

I have just wasted an hour writing the last part of the ride report for my connection to fail and lose the lot.

I'm not doing it all again.

So I will simply say the ride home was very wet (raining stair rods) with severe roads flooding and unable to see the road markings. I could actually say the worst riding conditions in memory

I left the port just after 10.30pm & arrived at the door at 6am Friday morning

I rode a distance of 637miles so it was no LeJog standard but I enjoyed the challenge. It was easier to do when I was in my 40's

Next year I'll try & get the MOT sorted before the holidays :lol: :lol:

Godspeed
Rides:: Anf125, C90G, PCX125

Post by Godspeed » Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:02 am

Glad you got back ok. Weather does seem pretty atrocious for this time of year…