Rhayader Training... 120 Miles Today!

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
jerrydevon
Rides:: Honda C90 Cub 1989 & FZX 750

Rhayader Training... 120 Miles Today!

Post by jerrydevon » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:20 pm

Hello All.
I continued with my endurance training today ahead of Rhayader, and my bike (Buzz 3 Gear!) surpassed himself with a dazzling performance. On his longest ever trip, it is now running as well as he's ever been. I've been having a bit of trouble with it stalling at junctions, but after reading Pjams instructions on how to correctly adjust the mixture, he now ticks over beautifully. (Thanks Pjam!)
I travelled 120+ miles to Taunton, taking on some motorway experience on the very busy M5. I didn't find it too daunting, especially after taking the expert advice from the club members on the best way to approach it. (Thanks guy's!). I did have a hairy moment when a young girl driver cut me up approaching a roundabout :x . I kicked out but missed :roll:. I beeped the manly CUB horn and swiftly got the finger from a female passenger in the back. Charming :x . Never mind, I'm happy with my ability to take the appropriate action to avoid a collision. I also, sadly took in some heavy shower training aswell :cry:
Just 4 weeks to go! Cant wait!!!
I will be leaving on the Friday morning and will keep an eye out to meet up and ride with other CUBbers en route.

aliengravy
Site Admin
Rides:: Shiny 1987 Honda C90c in red! Cbf600n

Re: Rhayader Training... 120 Miles Today!

Post by aliengravy » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:47 am

You will need the shower training :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Leiba
Rides:: Red C90.

Post by Leiba » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:14 am

If you got the finger then it shows that the driver knew that what she was doing was wrong. Sticking a finger up, (or some other offensive/defensive sign) is an admission of guilt but it also makes the maneuver allowable. (In their eyes anyway) :roll:

jerrydevon
Rides:: Honda C90 Cub 1989 & FZX 750

Post by jerrydevon » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:35 am

Yes Leiba. People, especially in a group, don't want to admit to making a mistake and will make up any excuse to save face. I have noticed the total lack of respect that the drivers give you. I drive a Renault Traffic, which is quite a large vehicle and although I'm in control of a motor vehicle, exactly the same as the CUB, I get treated very differently by other road users. You really have to keep your wits about you on the bike :shock: .
AG. I can go from normal to waterproofed in 30 seconds. It's all the training :lol: . I am now practising erecting the tent. Good job really as I have one guide rope missing and no pegs :roll: .
Time to go shopping.

Diesel Dave
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left

Post by Diesel Dave » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:50 pm

Always ride like you are barely in control on big roads.

Never stay close to the kerb and regularly swing from the outside to the inside and vice versa.

Try it and be pleasantly surprised at the room everybody gives you. :o :o :D

Leiba
Rides:: Red C90.

Post by Leiba » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:15 pm

You get a different reaction when you're on L plates.

Blackcountry Pete
Rides:: The clown bike, Burgman400,SH300,STD 50 Cubra

Post by Blackcountry Pete » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:24 pm

Ive fitted a clown car bulb horn and its great gets peoples attention with out causing offense. Just the job when filtering in traffic, if you can look in there mirrors and see that they not looking behind themselves a quick blast is all you need. And you either get a look of shock or a smile as it not a noise you hear everyday :lol: :lol: :lol: