Wild Atlantic Way

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Wild Atlantic Way

Post by knapdog » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:00 pm

I appreciate that when you search the web you'll find information on this Irish "adventure", plus the occasional article in bike magazines but has any forum member actually done the whole route?
I ask because it may, or part of it, become a consideration for myself, billyfix, libby and the fox (Four Old Fogeys) in June. We'd be away for between 10 and 12 days so maybe half this year and half next.
The alternative, which has been mooted, is to base ourselves in the south west and radiate for day trips.
Any info will be appreciated.

Hightechpete
Rides:: Streamline Innova,Honda Shadow,Jialing 70,C100,Honda 400,Helix

Re: Wild Atlantic Way

Post by Hightechpete » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:24 pm

Hi Knapdog, I've done the West coast twice by bike (and the East coast once). There's more to it than the Dingle and the ring of Kerry so I wouldn't limit myself to the Southwest.
We stayed in B+B's all prebooked, although at the time, seven or eight years ago, every small town seemed to have a plethora of places to stay.
As far as I remember the route was Fishguard-Rosslare, Kinsale(1 night), Kenmare(2 nights), Limerick (1 night), Galway (1 night), Ballycastle (1 night) then two days riding back to Rosslare via Athlone. What more can I say?, stunning scenery, quiet roads, friendly people.
Just give yourself plenty of time to explore the out of the way places
We on the big bikes, but could have done it just as easily on the Cub.
Happy to answer any specific questions if I can.
Pete.

sinbad72
Rides:: Honda C70 C (Blue)

Post by sinbad72 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:18 pm

As far as I know the Ring of Kerry Honda run is on the 4th of June this year...... :D

Personally, I have never been but a lot of my fellow cub riders treat this as a pilgrimage not to be missed and make a weekend out of it.

Will find more details if you want.

muzy
Rides:: honda c90 1996

Post by muzy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:00 pm

Hi Knapdog.

I'm living in Cork at the very end of the WAW. Its a great route, I have driven the majority of it numerous times. I am thinking of cycling it this year from top to bottom.. None of my mates have bikes but they enjoy cycling?? I said I would Join.

Southwest is beautiful. Mountain passes, coastlines and good towns for pints. I would consider venturing further. South into Glengarriff, west cork, Baltimore, kinsale is all great touring country. Further north the landscape gets more rugged as you enter the Burren, Galway and out towards Sligo.

If you have any specific questions just let me know.

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:03 pm

Su and I went, on the 90. We had a truly magical time.

By all means do the ring of Kerry. With the cars and the coaches.

But whatever you do, DO NOT MISS THE RING OF BEARA! It is fabulous, truly fabulous. Best kept secret in R.O.I.

If you are on cubs, use the cycleway on the ring of Bears where you can, they are basically dirt roads for farm traffic, so don't think you'll end up in trouble for being on a cycle path, they are far from that, and brilliant fun on a cub!