Comments on my first puncture push home

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
Jon

Re: Comments on my first puncture push home

Post by Jon » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:43 am

barker wrote:can you get tubeless tyres on a innover
You need a tube on most spoked wheels. You CAN use tubeless tyres but you have to fit a tube. The only way to go tubeless is to fit alloy wheels....

jammy james
Member formerly known as james cub
Rides:: 1989 Honda 90 cub (elec start!)1988 honda cub. 2010 Suzuki fl 125 address+

Post by jammy james » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:47 pm

I've ridden home a couple of miles with flat tyre,just keep the speed down!! Far easier doing it at home, for longer trips I do take tools plus tube...

stevew
Rides:: MaxSym 400i (2013) Wave110i (2014)

Post by stevew » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:15 pm

jamescub wrote:I've ridden home a couple of miles with flat tyre,just keep the speed down!! Far easier doing it at home, for longer trips I do take tools plus tube...
I would reckon a couple of miles on a flat tyre would mean a new tyre & tube ?

Jon

Post by Jon » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:39 pm

stevew wrote:
jamescub wrote:I've ridden home a couple of miles with flat tyre,just keep the speed down!! Far easier doing it at home, for longer trips I do take tools plus tube...
I would reckon a couple of miles on a flat tyre would mean a new tyre & tube ?
New tube certainly....Depends on which tyre and how well you can keep your weight off it. After 12 miles my rear was showing signs of distress but I actually think at a push i could have got away with not replacing it. The rubber wasn't visibly damaged and cubs are light, slow machines anyway.

stevec
Rides:: sunbeam s8,bmw f650,honda superdream

Post by stevec » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:11 pm

I use slime or gloop,and ive never been stuck with a puncture since I started using it, changing a tube at the side of the road in the dark,cold,rain is hopefully a thing of the past,it will repair a puncture upto 3mm, even if it doesn't repair it, it should stop rapid deflation and stop a buttock clenching experience

digger06

Post by digger06 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:37 am

it doesn't often stop rapid deflation, in a tube, because if the hole is pretty big, and by chance the gloop does stop it, the tube splits anyway,
well, that's what I have seen quite a few times, the other thing with that stuff is you never know if your punctured if it does work,

maybe not such a problem on a slow bike though...

I prefer to carry a tube,

andyk1k
Rides:: 1966 S90 1998 royal enfield 350

Post by andyk1k » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:08 am

At a push try ramming grass if available into the tyre !! better than nothing at all and helps in a miles from no where situation....

stevec
Rides:: sunbeam s8,bmw f650,honda superdream

Post by stevec » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:46 pm

digger06 wrote:it doesn't often stop rapid deflation, in a tube, because if the hole is pretty big, and by chance the gloop does stop it, the tube splits anyway,
well, that's what I have seen quite a few times, the other thing with that stuff is you never know if your punctured if it does work,

maybe not such a problem on a slow bike though...

I prefer to carry a tube,

I cant disagree with what you say, especially if you have seen it a few times,but ive been using it for maybe 5 0r 6 years and have never been stranded with a puncture. it leaves a tell tail green mark on the tyre where the puncture is,its got me home with a puncture at least 3 times,once on a touring holiday in wales covering about 700 miles in a week I had a puncture at some point and didn't notice until I got home and washed the bike off but that puncture could of happened a mile from leaving home or a mile before I arrived back home,i don t know but I always change the tube asap

stevew
Rides:: MaxSym 400i (2013) Wave110i (2014)

Post by stevew » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:34 pm

Bill/Rubery
Rides:: Peugeot Vox 110 cc

Post by Bill/Rubery » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:11 pm

I don't want appear a 'know-all' but surely you people can be like the Scouts and ....Be Prepared'...and join a break down rescue organisation!! The only time I needed the AA was when I had a puncture in my rear tyre at 12.10am leaving my part time job. the local farmers were slashing the local hedgerows and I picked up a splinter. The AA turned up in no time to take me home and even phoned my wife to tell her what was happening...