Riding in Marrakesh

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
Jon

Riding in Marrakesh

Post by Jon » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:04 pm

Just got back from a lovely holiday in Morocco where I hired a scooter to get around the city of Marrakesh. over there, 50cc machines do not require any form of registration or licence and helmets for residents are optional, and are generally of the lightweight cycle type if worn at all.

While this seems foolish at first glance, the typical speed of a moped or scooter is around 30 -40 kmh tops....Bicycle speed...The condition of the bikes is astonishingly good. the climate is kind, and the machines are clearly cherished. The vast majority of bikes I saw were a 50/50 mixture of '60's Mobylette Varios, either the old cool chrome tanked model, or the '70's type, or Yamaha (Town) Mates....Almost all the bikes were two stroke. I only saw one Cub, an astonishingly rusty wreck that looked exactly like it had been found in the sea after about 10 years with no plastics whatsoever but still running fine. There were a few new Chinese built Docker brand C90's, which were again, actually 50cc capacity. Some of the Yamaha Mates were in new condition despite being a model no longer in production and it was hard to even guess at a date of manufacture, although things like indicators suggested they were at least 15 years old. Despite the two stroke emphasis, there was no smoke emitted from any of the bikes and the vast majority ran smoothly and quietly with the low average speeds clearly contributing to the mechanical condition of most, which was excellent.

It was quite common to see the mopeds carrying a couple of riders plus a sheep, a goat or a couple of small children. Car drivers were generally very aware of the hordes of little bikes and again, typical traffic speeds were less than 20 mph, even in in the wide main thoroughfares.

Here's the Kymco scooter I hired along with Mrs Guildbass and a camel...you can tell the difference because the camel only has one hump...
maroc 1.jpg
And a typical example of a Yamaha Mate...
maroc 2.jpg

A typical Mobylette ....

And a Docker C90....

Riding the scooter was great fun...Providing you used all your awareness and it was a brilliant was to get about, far better than the car I hired.although the car was obviously better for the longer hauls up to Casablanca and so on due to it's air-con and the distances involved...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

horobags
Rides:: PCX 125, Vision 110

Re: Riding in Marrakesh

Post by horobags » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:36 pm

great pics,
'docker c90'??, why does every other country get new cubs , and not us!! :( :(

NERALD
Rides:: 1994 C90E, 1993 Jawa 210, Aprilia Caponord 1000.

Post by NERALD » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:43 pm

Jon

Post by Jon » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:19 pm

horobags wrote:great pics,
'docker c90'??, why does every other country get new cubs , and not us!! :( :(
Probably because they are still considered essential everyday transport...

steveindenmark
Rides:: Moto Guzzi 1100i, Moto Guzzi Cardellino 65cc, Yamaha XT 250 Serow

Post by steveindenmark » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:45 am

Lovely bikes.

Could there be a c90 club holiday in the offing. Fly down, hire bikes, Tour and fly back?

Alan CF
Rides:: CUB RACING small cc engine rebuilds crank repairs

Post by Alan CF » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:51 am

:idea: how about, flying there and buying a bike (good used Docker example) riding back home then dropping your uk plate on her before entering blighty :? :D :D